Morecambe vs Tranmere
Oldham vs Carlisle
Stevenage vs Colchester
Swindon vs Northampton
Yeovil vs Exeter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big game this, live on the television too which is good for me. Definitely don't predict a 0-0 draw, but I don't know how I feel about this game. 

Our last 4 games we've drawn 3 times and lost once. On the balance of that we're due a win but also due a loss and I think Leeds may edge us at home.

We are well over due a win at Bolton!! After a fantastic record at theirs in the early 2000s more recently we've had a terrible record. Mulgrew should be back which will be a big boost and I'm hoping Dack has more of an effect on the game than he did midweek. We have lots of options in the squad attacking wise who didn't start midweek who could come into contention - Palmer, Brereton, Conway - so Mowbray's starting 11 will be interesting after a busy last few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Can't remember what match it was but @Lucas will vouch for me... Really big fan of Peacock-Farrell in goal. Reminds me of Pickford. Which is a good thing. 

I like him but I'm not convinced he's any better than Jamal Blackman who I imagine will be recalled and sent to a promotion/playoff rival in January.

• Administrator

Sorry mate, jinxed it for you although don't think it was a penalty considering the player was halfway down already and it was going wide. What else is the keeper meant to do there? 

Just now, Stan said:

Sorry mate, jinxed it for you although don't think it was a penalty considering the player was halfway down already and it was going wide. What else is the keeper meant to do there? 

Not make contact and take the player out? Is a foul regardless.

Disappointing to draw in the end, should have won. Poor error from our goalkeeper and it's an area that's really letting us down this season, consistent points dropped from goalkeeping errors. Spent most of the game as the better team and then sat back and invited pressure onto us.

Love Neal Maupay, such a little shithouse that completely riles up opposition players and fans.

My thoughts first on the key decisions.

Watkins has dived. 100% not a penalty, it's clear and obvious on the replay that he's going down before Bailey has even touched him. HOWEVER, what I will say is the ref is never going to spot that when it happens so quickly. Yes we'll feel aggrieved because a player has cheated but it's not obvious. And to be perfectly honest, it would never have happened if Liam Cooper hadn't played an absolute shocking pass on the edge of his area to get us into that mess.

Luke Ayling Red Card. It's the last moments of the game. It is a niggly foul, nothing serious, but it is worth a yellow and as he was already booked, should be sent off in normal circumstances. HOWEVER, seeing as the exact same incident occurred with 15 minutes to go when Odubejo made an identical foul on Clarke whilst he was on a Yellow, it's a poor decision. The referee has to remain consistent. And not only that, 15 minutes would have been a long time for Brentford to hang out with a man light.

Let's be perfectly right about it. The referee was appalling, absolutely appalling. One of the worst we've had in one of our games for a long time. A lot of decisions went against us today which was very frustrating. And I really felt he struggled to handle the game. It wasn't a dirty game in the slightest but it became niggly and frustrating because the referee had no consistency. Brentford got a lot of decisions their way and this was touched on after the game by Sky.

In terms of the actual game, a draw was fair. Brentford played very well first half and I wouldn't have complained if they had a 1-0 lead. We were not poor, but we struggled to get attacking players in the game out wide. Second half, we played much better after Brentford had scored. It seemed to wake us up, we changed a few things dropping Alioski left back, putting a kid on in Jack Clarke who made a decent impression, Forshaw on for Klich, who started to win the ball back in midfield for us, and Baker for Saiz. The latter didn't influence the game at all today, he needs to produce when we are missing creativity. But the last 25 minutes we really put them on the back foot. You sensed we could get a goal from a cross today with that keeper of theirs.

All in all, I'm disappointed to draw at home. But in the circumstances, we are a goal down and we've grabbed a late equaliser from poor goalkeeping. Could have nicked it with Baker's late header but that would have been unfair on Brentford who really blew a couple chances to hit us on the break. I think we need to be content with it because we definitely didn't show what we are capable of today IMO.

Also, we've shown good battling qualities and character to come back when seemingly everything has been going against us in that game. Bare in mind, we've had to play the last four/five games without some key players. We've took on a good team in Brentford today without Douglas who is pivitol to our game on left wing back, Hernandez whose creativity has been sorely missed throughout September, Kemar Roofe, who was having a shit hot start to the season on fire and we don't even have Bamford as a focal point up front either. 

Hoping to god, this International break is kind to us and we get some players back because it's clear this squad is too thin to challenge without key personnel.

What I will say about that pen other than that the camera clearly picked up their keepers body going through Watkins' legs, is that we lost the game at Elland Road last season to an offside goal that wasn't called. I could not take losing again today after that, especially today when we outplayed them for about 60-70 minutes.

Considering that all of Watkins, Canos and Sawyers were poor in attack and offered little I'm happy we still looked so good.

Leeds have a lot of quality about them, they'll be tough competitors this season and I don't think theyll drop off like they did under Monk.

Pleasing 1-0 away win - we weren't at our best but it just shows the importance of having a solid defence when you have players like Dack who can win the game for you. Pleased to see Rodwell start and I think there will be a lot more to come from it whether it be in a midfield two or back three. Important 3 points with Leeds, Swansea and WBA coming up! 

It was a very scrappy game and there have been performances this season in games which have turned out being losses. But these types of games will always be scrappy and 3 points is big, especially considering how Bolton are on similar points.

Dack again in the right place. His importance is huge and he has a good side around him to help him. Defensively spot on as well.

The game against Leeds will be big next weekend and it could be a good time to play them after their last 4 or so games where they haven't looked as unstoppable as they did.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Anyone reckon Dack might be snapped up in January? Been one of the best in the league along with the likes of Mount and Barnes. 

West Brom wanted Dack in the Summer and allegedly offered a loan and then buy deal (£15m) but if I were them, I’d throw £15m at Leicester to see if I could keep Barnes permanently. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Anyone reckon Dack might be snapped up in January? Been one of the best in the league along with the likes of Mount and Barnes. 

There is no question he will be sought after but if any club wants him they will have to pay very good money. My gut feeling is we will agree with him to stay this season then if an acceptable bid comes in during the summer he will be let go. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

West Brom wanted Dack in the Summer and allegedly offered a loan and then buy deal (£15m) but if I were them, I’d throw £15m at Leicester to see if I could keep Barnes permanently. 

we'd be able to ask more for him if he continues to play like he does. 

Blackburn were very, very lucky to take all three points - they did what we did against Derby a couple of games back, get an early goal and defend like hell. Can't criticise that, it's a successful gameplan.

The football from us was marginally better - the ball actually got played out from the defence rather than an aimless hump forward to nobody. Oztumer is improving, and I think once Ameobi is back from injury, and Lloyd Dyer gets a few games in (if he's still half decent), we'll see it click with them. Wildschut is a big disappointment so far. 

Always annoying to lose to Blackburn, but it is what it is. Fine margins in this game, another day we could have slapped them. Anyway, the yokels to our west got stuffed 4-0 by Preston, so it wasn't a completely shit day. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived