talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Santiago Solari Appointed Real Madrid Head Coach Until 2021

Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui insists he is "unconcerned" by growing speculation he could be sacked following his side's stoppage-time defeat at Alavez.

Lopetegui had called for a response from the midweek Champions League loss away to CSKA Moscow, which followed a disappointing goalless draw at home in the Madrid derby and a 3-0 La Liga defeat at Sevilla.

However, despite captain Sergio Ramos, Luka Modric, goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois and Gareth Bale all returning to the side, Los Blancos once again lacked a cutting edge.

The Welshman returned after a groin issue kept him out of the CSKA clash, but he did not finish the game as injury struck again in the second half. There was no confirmation from Real of the nature of the problem, but it could make Bale a doubt for Wales' upcoming internationals against Spain and the Republic of Ireland.

Alaves conceded possession for large spells of the match, but remained in the contest and were rewarded in the fifth minute of added time when substitute Garcia headed in from close range.

Asked about his position at the post-match press conference, the Real boss said: "It's not something I'm concerned about, that's your job and I'm sure you'll do it.

"I have to be outside that. We are in October. We have to remain calm from the inside in light of this negative situation.

"The message (to the supporters) is that this team have been working like beasts for the last three months and they will get back to winning ways."

Lopetegui, though, accepted the manner of the defeat was hard to take, while the loss of Bale and also Karim Benzema to injury was a further blow.

Lopetegui said: "Karim and Gareth had injuries, so we had to make decisions regarding changes. That's football, that's the way it goes, and today all the negatives came out.

"This run without key players isn't normal. It's also hugely important that we start scoring goals, and we will do that. The coach is always responsible.

"We have the international break now, so we can get back to what we're doing."

Ramos offered his backing to the under-fire coach, saying a change in the dug-out would be "ludicrous".

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

I said from day one that he would be sacked and wouldn't see a full season, I didn't expect the rumours to start as early as October however. 

Who would they replace him with? Hierro?

Fernando Hierro can't stand Florentino Pérez mate and in all cases, look what happened when he took over from Judas Julen Lopetegui during the World Cup!  I have no doubts that Mauricio Pochettino would be the man chosen and if not him for some unusual reason, maybe a return of 666 himself, Jose Mourinho? :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Didn't think of Poch, good shout. Was thinking of managers off the top of my head linked to Real (after I'd just woke up) and could only think of Hierro. 

Mourinho back would be hilarious with a capital F.

The reason I mentioned Mourinho is because there were serious rumours that there was contact from Real Madrid and Mou when Zidane resigned.  Florentino Pérez loves him for various reason and the main one is for making disruptions (that's all they were during that period, a disruption) to the most perfect football ever reproduced on a field of play in that Barça side.

The only problem with the Mou return (because Florentino would love to do that) is that there still remains a lot of the old guard at Real that can't stand the man like Sergio Ramos for example.

11 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I said from day one that he would be sacked and wouldn't see a full season, I didn't expect the rumours to start as early as October however. 

Who would they replace him with? Hierro?

Mourinho :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

i'm loving everything that's happening ( bad ) with real madrid at the moment.

we're finally seeing the fruit of the arrogance of perez.    Ramos was saying that no player nor coach is bigger than the club, that's probably half true and half wrong.      but anyhow, die madrid die !!!   crash out of the UCL in the last 16 or even don't make it out of the group stages and by the end of the season, please stay at 6th place ......

I think Spain are lucky he resigned tbh or was sacked, or whatever the fuck happened after they were offended he had the nerve to take a higher paying job once he was done with his upcoming project at his previous job. Real Madrid > Spain, and if you can't get the 3 time back to back CL winners at least looking decent... you're probably not a good manager.

• Subscriber

Zidane knew what he was doing and left at the right time. Where do you go from winning 3 CL titles in a row? It's always going to be hard motivating a bunch of players who've had so many highs in the last few seasons. Also losing Ronaldo and the confidence he brings to a team was always going to be hard for Lopetegui.

Everyone's jumping on him now but Spain would have had a much better World Cup with him in charge.

6 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Zidane knew what he was doing and left at the right time. Where do you go from winning 3 CL titles in a row? It's always going to be hard motivating a bunch of players who've had so many highs in the last few seasons. Also losing Ronaldo and the confidence he brings to a team was always going to be hard for Lopetegui.

Everyone's jumping on him now but Spain would have had a much better World Cup with him in charge.

I've mentioned it a number of times on quoting Zidane's final press conference when he resigned.  He practically said that the team was on a downward spiral and that guaranteeing victory was very difficult.

Lopetegui's club record isn't good, but he is top notch with youth and he had turned around Spain back into believing.  Infact they were ripping everyone a new arsehole until he accepted his personal 30 pieces of silver.

So, the president's voice at Real Madrid CF, Emilio Butragueño guaranteed last night that Julen Lopetegui will indeed be sitting on the bench directing the team against FC Barcelona this weekend.  There was much talk of him being sacked before El Clásico and last night's performance in the Champions League (although a victory) against FC Viktoria Plzeň where the team were begging for the final whistle still had him out in Purgatory.

There are two frames of thoughts as to why this has occurred and he's been given El Clásico...

1. Most of the stick on Lopetegui's appointment and how it was done has been thrown at Florentino Pérez.  So with the results drying up and a possible defeat to Barcelona and what that means to Real Madrid fans, they would surely turn their full attention to Julen Lopetegui and away from the president.
  2. A possible victory against Barcelona especially with the theory that the players at Barça could be going through a mental block on Messi being out due to injury makes it more credible....  It at least matches things up a lot more right now.  That victory could boost morale at Real Madrid and then could build on things from there.

45 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Given Conte's behaviour in his last season at Chelsea when they didn't sign the players he wanted you would think that Real Madrid would be better waiting for Isco to get fully fit and pretending this blip never happened. 

Isco will be a massive boost to the way Lopetegui sets up his team and wants Real to play without a shadow of a doubt. But there are other issues that are massive and need taking care of like for example the goal scorer and then the ageing and off form midfield in the shape of Kroos and Modrić.  Then there's all these "want aways" with Modrić, Marcelo, Ceballos and even rumours of Asensio not being happy.

Perez will likely go on a spending spree sometime soon, and no better manager to have at the helm of all of that than Conte. As far as league campaigns, Conte is one of the best when he's up for it. 

I'd imagine if it were another coaching role, Conte wouldn't want it. 

• Subscriber

Be nice if Perez could come and ransack some Kanes, Salahs and Hazards from our league to level out the frankly ridiculous levels of disparity that now exist between the haves and the have nots in England. One can dream.

Three years have gone by with the supposed oncoming big spending to occur at Real Madrid but it hasn’t happened. What’s for sure is that Florentino’s dream signing no matter how much it costs is Neymar... He ticks all of the right boxes for him especially one of those boxes. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Three years have gone by with the supposed oncoming big spending to occur at Real Madrid but it hasn’t happened. What’s for sure is that Florentino’s dream signing no matter how much it costs is Neymar... He ticks all of the right boxes for him especially one of those boxes. 

I don't think Neymar would be too opposed to that move either. The real question is how much PSG would sell him for because I honestly don't think they even need him and it was more of a shiny-disco-ball moment that took the Brazilian there.

Archived