• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Santiago Solari Appointed Real Madrid Head Coach Until 2021

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Such a boring rhetoric. Almost as bad as 'premier league proven'. 

Guardiola, Villanova, and Enrique all won nothing before managing Barca. 

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Pochettino is also very valued in Spain because he played there most of his career and knows the league very well. That and the fact he done so well with Espanyol when they were in serious dire straits. 

Oh well, I will leave it at that then as you both seem to know Pochettino a lot better than me, don't get me wrong as I would love him to achieve something at Spurs as I have a friend I have known since he was a young kid who is a die-hard Spurs supporter. 

1 minute ago, CaaC - John said:

Oh well, I will leave it at that then as you both seem to know Pochettino a lot better than me, don't get me wrong as I would love him to achieve something at Spurs as I have a friend I have known since he was a young kid who is a die-hard Spurs supporter. 

You’re right in that he hasn’t won anything yet but cup competitions have a lot of luck and also particular moments that are very sensitive in terms of success or not and as for winning a league championship, he’s never been in the right environment for that really (apart from Leicester’s season).

You can see and sense he is a top top coach and has learned a hell of a lot with the limited resources he’s been involved in. 

So according to Spanish investigative newspaper El Confidencial, the reason behind Real Madrid’s disrespectful public announcement of Lopetegui’s sacking is apparently down to Lopetegui not backing down on what he’s owed for the remainder of his contract.

So the way the announcement was published by Real Madrid CF was a message directed personally to Julen Lopetegui telling him that in no uncertain words that he’s crap because he had 8 Ballon d’Or nominees in his squad.

What Lopetegui should do though is send them a video of Zinedine Zidane’s prass conference when he quit (messages to the club in that one) and a copy on how the league table finished last season with 9 Ballon d’Or nominees. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Signed a new 5 year, 8.5 million a season deal in the summer - so to 2023. No chance Madrid pay the £40 million compo or whatever mad figure it would be 

Also he turned them down in the summer already, I know it may not be the best of times, but he's not going to u turn on that yet. No chance 

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Signed a new 5 year, 8.5 million a season deal in the summer - so to 2023. No choice Madrid pay the £40 million compo or whatever mad figure it would be 

Also he turned them down in the summer already, I know it may not be the best of times, but he's not going to u turn on that yet. No chance 

You may be right and you know more on the ins and outs of everything at Spurs than I do.

But ironically considering who this thread is fundamentally about (Julen Lopetegui, Florentino Pérez and Real Madrid)... He signed a new deal with the RFEF (Spanish FA) to extend his then current deal as head coach for Spain. That was two weeks previous to his behind the scenes negotiations with Florentino Pérez!

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You may be right and you know more on the ins and outs of everything at Spurs than I do.

But ironically considering who this thread is fundamentally about (Julen Lopetegui, Florentino Pérez and Real Madrid)... He signed a new deal with the RFEF (Spanish FA) to extend his then current deal as head coach for Spain. That was two weeks previous to his behind the scenes negotiations with Florentino Pérez!

I'd be shocked if I'm honest. I really think a) Poch loves it here and the freedom he gets to do things his way and b) he really wants to be successful with us. It means far more to him as a coach to be able to win things for Spurs than it ever would at Madrid.

That being said I've always said the one club I could see him wanting to manage in the future was Real Madrid so I guess it just depends on how many more chances he thinks he will have. He's turned them down once a few months ago, can he do it again?

You're right on that second point but ultimately very different scenarios. Lopetegui had proven nothing really, poor at Porto and then coasted a qualification route with an excellent team. Madrid was a huge opportunity he had no option but to accept. It's different going from national to club football too imo.

We'll see but I'd be absolutely astonished if Poch left us. 

If I'm poch i want to understand how much time I'll be given to overhaul the squad. And in any case I'm not going there if the reasons zidane quit haven't been addressed and the expectation is still to make the existing players work. 

He doesn't mesh with the perez way. 

2 hours ago, Storts said:

I'd be shocked if I'm honest. I really think a) Poch loves it here and the freedom he gets to do things his way and b) he really wants to be successful with us. It means far more to him as a coach to be able to win things for Spurs than it ever would at Madrid.

That being said I've always said the one club I could see him wanting to manage in the future was Real Madrid so I guess it just depends on how many more chances he thinks he will have. He's turned them down once a few months ago, can he do it again?

You're right on that second point but ultimately very different scenarios. Lopetegui had proven nothing really, poor at Porto and then coasted a qualification route with an excellent team. Madrid was a huge opportunity he had no option but to accept. It's different going from national to club football too imo.

We'll see but I'd be absolutely astonished if Poch left us. 

Don't get me wrong and I know how many will read it in terms of a biased opinion, but with that they don't know me well because I am actually very objective with the facts.

Where I'm going is that if I were Mauricio Pochettino I wouldn't move from the Premier League and Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid at this given time even if they offered me whatever there is to offer.

First of all, you ain't signing anyone of note in the winter transfer window no matter how much the rumour mongers love to generate these things.  It's always been hard in that window and these days with the over inflated transfer fees it's even worse. Clubs of various statures dig their heels into their legal contracts with the said player and if you want to get in there you're gonna pay more than just handsomely.

Football in this sense has changed from south to north dramatically in the past two years let alone starting to talk about or cite any transfer that was made previous to that.

I've started down the transfer route because for obvious reasons Real Madrid need to invest heavily and fix one or two very expensive positions.  But the thing is that not only are they expensive, but where and with who do you find the right fit?  Are there really all that many Galacticos to be had right now?  Real ones?  The right ones?

Whether there are or whether they aren't...  The fact is that Pochettino with what he would have at Real Madrid with the president they have and in the state they're in he would be risking a hell of a lot.  Risking more than what it's worth and I'd say that he himself is worth more than Real Madrid as a status right now and if he's smart he wouldn't do it.  There's only really so much a coach can implement from the correct start of a campaign and luck plays a large part in everything coming out rosy.  Going in with anything between 10 ( what it is right now) to 15 games played is practical suicide.  Look at their position, sense their depression!  

Also remember... Yes indeed they have come off of winning the Champions League last season but their domestic season last year is the correct marker, Zidane's words when he said goodbye are the real marker, the loss of 50 goals a season in all competitions is a real marker, the fact we all become a year older every 12 months is a real marker and finally... Yes Real Madrid won the Champions League last season but tell me where they were in the first round at this time and how that round ended with all the crisis talk in La Liga?

Pochettino would be mental!  You don't even have to be smart to say... "Let me get into that new stadium and let me give confidence to the club I've been happy in for a while and see how it goes one more year... What have I got to lose?  I can't forget that I'm respected here and generally!"

Anyway... All of that is a debate we can have and all put in our ten pence worth but what is a fact is that I wouldn't leave a project to walk into what is at this present time the representation of football hell in every sense.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Some of the Italian papers are slating Conte for this by calling him a chicken. Cappelo said “for an Italian coach to refuse this job is something you just don’t do”

I actually admire it if he really did refuse. He wants to be loved where he goes, and in spite of everything he was indeed loved here. He wants total control and he isn't a yes man. 

That alone makes him a unlikely candidate for Real. 

• Subscriber

I can't see why he would take the job considering all the shit thats been flying around lately and the players having a say in who their next manager is, that in itself is a fucking joke. Would you really want to go to a place where you're guaranteed failure even if you try to do your best? I don't think so.

• Subscriber

Just further illustrates my earlier point. The players are the problem, not the manager. In a real job the owner would tell you this is your new boss, do your job or on your bike.

Good on Conte for turning down what must be one of the dream jobs for any football manager and a major pay packet to boot.

Should be good for Real Madrid anyway, perhaps people actually not wanting to take on what should arguably be the most exciting opportunity in club football management will give them the wake up call they need.

To be fair Conte had a lot of issues to resolve before he could accept the position of head coach for Real Madrid but then came the Sergio Ramos quote after the defeat in El Clásico and rumours of unrest with at least five Real Madrid players where they had been vocal on not wanting to accept what they saw as a disciplinarian as their coach.  But their fears were even bigger than that with the serious rumours on a possible Mourinho return... All in all what we have here isn't even a coup where a present coach is concerned, but the equivalent on manipulation of the elected president of the club who is very hands on unfortunately for the Real Madrid fans.

Roberto Martínez was caught yesterday by a journalist and asked on the known interest from Real Madrid on acquiring his services... This was his cutting response;

"I have a job, an important job and am not listening.  We aren't interested and are focused on what we are here for."

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, SirBalon said:

To be fair Conte had a lot of issues to resolve before he could accept the position of head coach for Real Madrid but then came the Sergio Ramos quote after the defeat in El Clásico and rumours of unrest with at least five Real Madrid players where they had been vocal on not wanting to accept what they saw as a disciplinarian as their coach.  But their fears were even bigger than that with the serious rumours on a possible Mourinho return... All in all what we have here isn't even a coup where a present coach is concerned, but the equivalent on manipulation of the elected president of the club who is very hands on unfortunately for the Real Madrid fans.

If you ask me that's exactly the opposite of what they need. Sometimes players forget their place in the pecking order of a club, in this case they think they can actually 'run' the show at the pitch level but I think a little smack on the head and a course correction in behavior ultimately solves the issue with zero problems. The problem now is that its escalated to a point where everyone is aware of what they are actually getting into should they go take the poisoned chalice that awaits them.

The modern day footballer also sometimes forgets that he is representing a club and not himself or his wants and whims. This is particularly dominant in clubs that have tasted lots of success and maybe the thought process is that we are the ones who play everyday so obviously everyone should give into our demands. All said and done if this turns out to be their downturn they will only have themselves to blame.

26 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

If you ask me that's exactly the opposite of what they need. Sometimes players forget their place in the pecking order of a club, in this case they think they can actually 'run' the show at the pitch level but I think a little smack on the head and a course correction in behavior ultimately solves the issue with zero problems. The problem now is that its escalated to a point where everyone is aware of what they are actually getting into should they go take the poisoned chalice that awaits them.

The modern day footballer also sometimes forgets that he is representing a club and not himself or his wants and whims. This is particularly dominant in clubs that have tasted lots of success and maybe the thought process is that we are the ones who play everyday so obviously everyone should give into our demands. All said and done if this turns out to be their downturn they will only have themselves to blame.

Indeed, the modern footballer in general (very few cases remaining) is extremely selfish.

On 31/10/2018 at 10:44, SirBalon said:

Don't get me wrong and I know how many will read it in terms of a biased opinion, but with that they don't know me well because I am actually very objective with the facts.

Where I'm going is that if I were Mauricio Pochettino I wouldn't move from the Premier League and Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid at this given time even if they offered me whatever there is to offer.

First of all, you ain't signing anyone of note in the winter transfer window no matter how much the rumour mongers love to generate these things.  It's always been hard in that window and these days with the over inflated transfer fees it's even worse. Clubs of various statures dig their heels into their legal contracts with the said player and if you want to get in there you're gonna pay more than just handsomely.

Football in this sense has changed from south to north dramatically in the past two years let alone starting to talk about or cite any transfer that was made previous to that.

I've started down the transfer route because for obvious reasons Real Madrid need to invest heavily and fix one or two very expensive positions.  But the thing is that not only are they expensive, but where and with who do you find the right fit?  Are there really all that many Galacticos to be had right now?  Real ones?  The right ones?

Whether there are or whether they aren't...  The fact is that Pochettino with what he would have at Real Madrid with the president they have and in the state they're in he would be risking a hell of a lot.  Risking more than what it's worth and I'd say that he himself is worth more than Real Madrid as a status right now and if he's smart he wouldn't do it.  There's only really so much a coach can implement from the correct start of a campaign and luck plays a large part in everything coming out rosy.  Going in with anything between 10 ( what it is right now) to 15 games played is practical suicide.  Look at their position, sense their depression!  

Also remember... Yes indeed they have come off of winning the Champions League last season but their domestic season last year is the correct marker, Zidane's words when he said goodbye are the real marker, the loss of 50 goals a season in all competitions is a real marker, the fact we all become a year older every 12 months is a real marker and finally... Yes Real Madrid won the Champions League last season but tell me where they were in the first round at this time and how that round ended with all the crisis talk in La Liga?

Pochettino would be mental!  You don't even have to be smart to say... "Let me get into that new stadium and let me give confidence to the club I've been happy in for a while and see how it goes one more year... What have I got to lose?  I can't forget that I'm respected here and generally!"

Anyway... All of that is a debate we can have and all put in our ten pence worth but what is a fact is that I wouldn't leave a project to walk into what is at this present time the representation of football hell in every sense.

I agree it would be a bad time to join Madrid because of were they’re at, and who is running things. But the Tottenham project seems to be stalling a bit lately, particularly its Poch not being particularly active in the transfer market.... I’m getting a vibe of Arlene Wenger in the first few years at the Emirates. “Just keep being amazingly successful whilst helping us pay down the stadium.”. Does poch just stay another two years of similar finishes?

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree it would be a bad time to join Madrid because of were they’re at, and who is running things. But the Tottenham project seems to be stalling a bit lately, particularly its Poch not being particularly active in the transfer market.... I’m getting a vibe of Arlene Wenger in the first few years at the Emirates. “Just keep being amazingly successful whilst helping us pay down the stadium.”. Does poch just stay another two years of similar finishes?

I think in regards to Tottenham Hotspur the test is completely on the shoulders of the club's board and their chairman... Not on the shoulders of Mauricio Pochettino at all.  Where Pochettino will end up making a decision on his personal future will be if Spurs start selling their player assets while not really offering the options to replace with similar or superior quality.  The coach will be looking more at what may depart than what may arrive as that is the real sign of the club's direction in the following few years.

• Subscriber

In other words, Conte is not a yes man and wouldn't let Pérez run the team. :congrats:

Antonio Conte is "reluctant" to become Real Madrid boss, with the club unlikely to meet his demands, according to former club president Ramon Calderon.

The former Chelsea manager has been linked with the European champions - who sacked Julen Lopetegui after Sunday's 5-1 defeat by Barcelona.

"He's asked for three years and to come in with five people and have hands free for signings and transfers," Calderon told BBC Radio 5 live's Football Daily Euro Leagues Show.

"But that's something the president [Florentino Perez] isn't willing to accept."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46062468

The Belgian FA has had no contact from Real Madrid regarding Roberto Martinez and would not tolerate any 'tapping up' of their head coach, Sky Sports News has been told.

Martinez is believed to be keen on talks with the La Liga giants and would be likely to accept an offer to manage at the Santiago Bernabeu, Sky Sports News understands.

The Belgium head coach believes it would be the pinnacle of his managerial career, after he led the country to third place in last summer's World Cup.

"Roberto has a contract with the Belgian Football Association (KBVB) until 2020 and anyone intending to make an approach for the manager would need to do that through the Association in the first instance," a spokesman has told Sky Sports News.

Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he has not been approached by Real Madrid over their vacant managerial position.

Real Madrid Castilla manager Santiago Solari has been installed as the interim boss at the Santiago Bernabeu following the sacking of Julen Lopetegui in October.

But newspaper reports in Spain claim the Champions League winners are in search of a long-term replacement.

Archived