Sadio Mane
Marcelo
Kylian Mbappe
Lionell Messi
Luka Modric
Jan Oblak
Neymar
Paul Pogba

Further nominees get announced throughout the day. OH THE SUSPENSE.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have money riding on this years award?

Is Modric a safe bet? 

Or will FIFA blow their wad over Mbappe for the France WC win and PSGs dominant league form?

Will KDB or Salah get a look in?

Or does the Messi & Ronaldo streak continue on as ever like the Simpsons, destined to continue despite no illusions from anyone they are anything but a shadow of their former selves, and with the entire world having lost interest?

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

Does anyone have money riding on this years award?

Is Modric a safe bet? 

Or will FIFA blow their wad over Mbappe for the France WC win and PSGs dominant league form?

Will KDB or Salah get a look in?

Or does the Messi & Ronaldo streak continue on as ever like the Simpsons, destined to continue despite no illusions from anyone they are anything but a shadow of their former selves, and with the entire world having lost interest?

FIFA has nothing to do with this award anymore. They've already done theirs, FIFA THE BEST a few weeks back.  The Ballon d'Or is back with France Football Magazine.

• Subscriber

Messi should win it for me after his consistent year in La Liga and Barca nearly going undefeated only to lose the game he didn't feature in. Buttttttttttt.. a few games in a cup seem to count more than a 38 game season. 

Meh. Modric/Ronaldo again.

2 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Messi should win it for me after his consistent year in La Liga and Barca nearly going undefeated only to lose the game he didn't feature in. Buttttttttttt.. a few games in a cup seem to count more than a 38 game season. 

Meh. Modric/Ronaldo again.

La liga isn't everything though? Normally I'd agree, but Modric has been incredibly influential for both club and country last season. He's been the main component in how Real Madrid tick, and it's about time he gets some true recognition vs Ronaldo scoring a penalty in an already dead game. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

La liga isn't everything though? Normally I'd agree, but Modric has been incredibly influential for both club and country last season. He's been the main component in how Real Madrid tick, and it's about time he gets some true recognition vs Ronaldo scoring a penalty in an already dead game. 

Yeah Modric over Ronaldo.

I just find it crazy how Messi isn't included even in the 15!? All because the media got on top of him over Argentina's world cup. His incredible domestic season is forgotten.

• Subscriber

Modric has the best chance in a few year to break the Messi/Ronaldo stranglehold but I don't see it. This one should go to Messi, Ronaldos numbers are still impressive, especially in the Champions League run again, if not the final itself, but Messi has contributed more, enough that you can overlook his fairly poor World Cup. However I can see it still going to Ronaldo because his numbers are still so high over the last 12 months and because marketing.

7 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Yeah Modric over Ronaldo.

I just find it crazy how Messi isn't included even in the 15!? All because the media got on top of him over Argentina's world cup. His incredible domestic season is forgotten.

Messi should be in the 15, otherwise something is wrong.

What I disagree with is that he had an "incredible domestic season" which for me isn't true. He's been great, but inconsistent for his standard. Out of 4 games, he has 1 absolute stormer where he'll single handedly win games no matter how bad everyone else is performing (like against Tottenham), and then the other 3 he'll be like any other player. Does well but won't win the game on his own. I personally don't think he's been influential enough to win the ballon d'or this year. 

A bit of a controversial opinion, but there you go. 

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Messi should be in the 15, otherwise something is wrong.

What I disagree with is that he had an "incredible domestic season" which for me isn't true. He's been great, but inconsistent for his standard. Out of 4 games, he has 1 absolute stormer where he'll single handedly win games no matter how bad everyone else is performing (like against Tottenham), and then the other 3 he'll be like any other player. Does well but won't win the game on his own. I personally don't think he's been influential enough to win the ballon d'or this year. 

A bit of a controversial opinion, but there you go. 

I guess he does it so often that we take him for granted almost. He is so good so often, we tend to highlight days when he doesn’t play at the standard he has set for himself while still being miles ahead of everyone else. 

8 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

I guess he does it so often that we take him for granted almost. He is so good so often, we tend to highlight days when he doesn’t play at the standard he has set for himself while still being miles ahead of everyone else. 

I was going to answer...

So he's being measured by his standards which means he either gets the award or definitely gets it.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I was going to answer...

So he's being measured by his standards which means he either gets the award or definitely gets it.

Its like you last 3 hours in bed, but with time it reduces to 2 hours while the average is still 5 minutes but your get dumped because you aren't satisfying according to your own standards.

10 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Its like you last 3 hours in bed, but with time it reduces to 2 hours while the average is still 5 minutes but your get dumped because you aren't satisfying according to your own standards.

Practically, yes mate.

Messi was brilliant domestically last season and he was also very good in the Champions League.  Messi isn't measured just by his goals, there is so much more to his game which he dictates.

Modrić had a good Champions League, but he was much more instrumental for his country's adventure into the final of the World Cup.

Someone shouldn't win an award just because I am tired of the usual suspects taking it in contemporary times.  Whoever wins it simply has to deserve it for the 12 months which are still active as this award is exactly thus, a calendar year award.  What I will say is that we should all keep an eye out for one particular curious detail which is how those that control, report on and are marionettes of the football authorities, sponsors and the protection of the product (in this case the UEFA Champions League) should observe how domestic football means less and less these days to those that matter and that it's merely used as a means to participate in what as time goes by becomes the staple diet of the only thing that matters.

53 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

45 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I was going to answer...

He's amazing, but my own personal opinion, I think there has been better. Maybe not based on a completeness standpoint, but in terms of team influence. 

Modric wins it for me. Key for Real Madrid, and key for a Croatia team that really wasn't very good.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

He's amazing, but my own personal opinion, I think there has been better. Maybe not based on a completeness standpoint, but in terms of team influence. 

Modric wins it for me. Key for Real Madrid, and key for a Croatia team that really wasn't very good.

But he was also cac for 9 months of a long season and we are now saying that cup tournaments are the measure of 12 months of football?  Shouldn't they be worth the proportion that they're actually worth?

You could actually make a pretty lengthy video of Messi last season which would be spectacular and wouldn't necessarily have to contain his goals!  That's how good he is, that's what makes him everything!  I also think Messi performing for Argentina should actually be in there too because the qualifiers for the tournament are competitive games and he was practically the sole reason the Albiceleste was permitted to participate in Russia.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

But he was also cac for 9 months of a long season and we are now saying that cup tournaments are the measure of 12 months of football?  Shouldn't they be worth the proportion that they're actually worth?

You could actually make a pretty lengthy video of Messi last season which would be spectacular and wouldn't necessarily have to contain his goals!  That's how good he is, that's what makes him everything!  I also think Messi performing for Argentina should actually be in there too because the qualifiers for the tournament are competitive games and he was practically the sole reason the Albiceleste was permitted to participate in Russia.

In a world cup year or a Euro year the award should be very significantly shaped by who seized the moment and delivered to a high standard in the most important football event in the world that year. 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

In a world cup year or a Euro year the award should be very significantly shaped by who seized the moment and delivered to a high standard in the most important football event in the world that year. 

I get that sentiment but that's not the criteria of the Ballon d'Or at all.  The Ballon d'Or Award centres itself always and exclusively on the performances of an individual for the whole of a calendar year.

We don't have huge points of reference though. Ron in 2014. Messi in 2010. Cannovaro in 2006. Ronaldo in 2002. Zidane 98. Stoichov 94. Mathaus in 90.

Many of them played starring roles at those world cups. 

The award goes to the most influential, doesn't necessarily mean the 'best'. Hence Cannavaro. Modric for me has been the most influential player of last season. 

That being said, for some years the whole purpose of the award has been thrown aside the sake of marketing

For me personally, Modric's influence leading Real to a third consecutive CL title and carrying Croatia to the World Cup finals outweighs Messi's influence in helping Argentina qualify and leading Barca to their domestic double. 

Busquets not being nominated (hardly ever is) is a travesty of justice and of football knowledge. He’s been one of the top five players for many years now and by a million light-years the best and most unique in his position. The others didn’t have that much of a brilliant year I feel. 

Archived