• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ballon d'Or 2018 Winner: Luka Modrić

football forum

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Messi been easily the best player over the year but I think his poor performances at crucial stages should lose him the award this year. 

Give it Modric or Mbappe.

I am not sure if Mbappe will be able to pick up an award, he has been reported missing in Rotterdam last night.

• Administrator
Just now, Cicero said:

What's he done then? Score a bunch of goals against farmers? Do nothing of note in the CL? 

What has he done to deserve a top 3 finish, 

4 goals at the World Cup, quite pivotal in the French team at that tournament. Not bad for a 19 year old. 

Just now, Stan said:

4 goals at the World Cup, quite pivotal in the French team at that tournament. Not bad for a 19 year old. 

So that merits a top 3 finish? Sorry, no player from Ligue 1 deserves a mention, let alone a club from Ligue 1 that are notorious bottle jobs in Europe every season.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So that merits a top 3 finish? Sorry, no player from Ligue 1 deserves a mention, let alone a club from Ligue 1 that are notorious bottle jobs in Europe every season.

I think he should be in contention. 

Who'd you have instead, out of interest?

If we’re not going to count Ligue1 last season (La Liga has been discounted for this edition) so we have the Champions League and the World Cup remaining. As far as I’m concerned what he done in the World Cup is nowhere near enough to win the Ballon d’Or and in the Champions League, well, enough said.

The possibility of Varane being in the top three is the biggest joke ever. He was crap last season. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Nah. Muller did the same thing in 2014 as Mbappe. Was he nominated? No. Why? No where near as Marketable as Mbappe. 

Award is a farce now. 

Has been for a while, especially since Sneijder was denied it in 2010.

We can pick and choose which leagues are worth more than others if we like but the fact is  that Spain, England, Italy and Germany all had equally noncompetitive seasons with the winners pissing the title, it was one of the most tedious seasons across Europe all round. With that in mind, Mbappe's domestic treble and brilliant World Cup performances deserve credit and I'd say put him in the frame. He's 19. What he's done so far is incredible.

As I've said, Messi is the best player and he is every year by a huge margin, we live in world which believes Cristiano Ronaldo deserves comparison to Messi's talent, so why not have Mbappe in there too?

34 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

the fact is  that Spain, England, Italy and Germany all had equally noncompetitive seasons with the winners pissing the title

But if Barcelona "pissed the title", Real Madrid won the Champions League (don't know what that says for that tournament) which sees Modrić's candidacy kind of acceptable considering Croatia's World Cup campaign.  But even then the whole argument is very arguable on any sphere.

20 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But if Barcelona "pissed the title", Real Madrid won the Champions League (don't know what that says for that tournament) which sees Modrić's candidacy kind of acceptable considering Croatia's World Cup campaign.  But even then the whole argument is very arguable on any sphere.

I agree with Modric's nomination, as I do Mbappe.

Archived