• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ballon d'Or 2018 Winner: Luka Modrić

football forum

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I get that sentiment but that's not the criteria of the Ballon d'Or at all.  The Ballon d'Or Award centres itself always and exclusively on the performances of an individual for the whole of a calendar year.

Would you be sticking to that argument if it was Ronaldo that had the great season with only a league title and Rakitic that dominated at the world cup and had a champions league medal to boot? 

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Would you be sticking to that argument if it was Ronaldo that had the great season with only a league title and Rakitic that dominated at the world cup and had a champions league medal to boot? 

I don't care who mate... It's wasn't just the league, it was the league and cup double and let's not forget that he did actually have a good Champions League too.  Pulse getting Argentina to qualify for the World Cup itself!

I haven't got a problem if Modrić wins it, but where I do have issues with these things and I've been consistent every year with it all is that I don't get what criteria is used to decide it.

There are so many very questionable years it's ridiculous. What I did think is that when France Football took back control of the award, that then we'd have a more visible criteria deciding these things.

To summarise... You CAN'T award an individual award for something that's been based more with the success of the collective.

My gut feel is their criteria is hugely subjective and just comes  down to looking back on the year which name resonates most strongly with the voting body.

I'd also expect they're looking at Modric and wondering if he's worthy of going does as the one who broke the messi and ronaldo love in. Or do they leave it  to continue another year and hope neymar or mbappe step up to the plate. 

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Messi 'got Argentina to the world cup' in 2017, so that is irrelevant.

Fair enough...

Then we can go back to the awarding of last year's Ballon d'Or and the criteria used then.

As for Luka Modrić's validation for the award (without winning the World Cup) we can look and compare to the awarding of the Ballon d'Or in 2010 which I think Messi won if I'm not mistaken but even if I've made an error there, what's for sure is that the award was gifted by what people seem to feel is within their own critical and analytical mindset.

All of this is for the sake of debate obviously because we have this issue arise every year in terms of who feels this or who feels that.  It's not really that important although due to how football moves these days and the benefits that are out there, it actually does have a lot of weight.

Puskas was a monster! To score that amount of goals when you could hack a player without remorse and the ball weighed a ton... The pitches were potato fields and defenders were criminals. That’s an amazing amount of goals. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Modric should win it. Just like Sneijder should of won it back in 2010. 

In fact, if Modric does win it, it will only look at the 2010 award going to Messi instead of Sneijder worse. 

Why? Messi was unreal that year(arguably him at his absolute best). A whole different level to anything Sneijder will ever reach.

11 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Why? Messi was unreal that year(arguably him at his absolute best). A whole different level to anything Sneijder will ever reach.

Was that the season where Messi scored 50 La Liga goals beating the previous record held by Hugo Sánchez of 38 goals.  90 plus goals in a calendar year!  Hard to beat that to be honest and Sneijder was part of a very pragmatic Inter side that had nothing to do with individuals to be honest.

Here’s me being Devil’s Advocate because there’s all sorts and add to this that Messi has never been a 9. 

13 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Because the award isn't for the best player in the world though? If it was, Messi would win it every year like Paolo Maldini mentioned. And that would be incredibly boring. 

It's based on how influential a player's performance was throughout the season. Sneijder was Inter's most consistent player and the only creative spark that led them to win their first ever treble. He also carried the same responsibility that led that  Dutch team to the WC finals that same year. 

It's honestly criminal how many don't understand how important Sneijder was in 2010

Just now, SirBalon said:

Was that the season where Messi scored 50 La Liga goals beating the previous record held by Hugo Sánchez of 38 goals.  90 odd goals in a calendar year!  Hard to beat that to be honest and Sneijder was part of a very pragmatic Inter side that had nothing to do with individuals to be honest.

Here’s me being Devil’s Advocate because there’s all sorts and add to this that Messi has never been a 9. 

It was the year where he ripped Arsenal apart and put on performances such as the one vs Madrid in the 5-0. That was Messi at his most exciting for me.

45 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

To an argie thats still failure. Win or bust but it's hard to have this discussion with a person from the eastern hemisphere. You, Chris, Cicero, nudge, and many more seem to be okay with the thought of jumping on a country's bandwagon, that's a major no no around here. You will never understand how much Messi has let down his nation. Add the fact that he started his career abroad.

Due to the fact that the clubs in his own country wouldn't pay for his treatment. They let him down more than he has them(as he owes them nothing, yet gives them his all) and he should have played for Spain where he is admired(even by a lot of Merengues) and has more a sense of belonging. His career would have been nowhere near what it was if he stayed in Argentina rather than move to Spain.

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

Yeah he should of played for Spain 🙄 

Why not?  He's lived there longer than in Argentina.  You yourself just said (and it's true to a large extent) that he isn't seen as Argentinian in his country of origin.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Absolute disgrace to play for another country IMO, but yeah he should of. I know he doesn't care because he is another mercenary but with each failure he loses more and more of HIS people, the argies. Una puta vergüenza para la Argentina. Nunca fue y nunca será el Diego. 

You're right, he'll never be Diego as by this age he'd be a washed up fat cokehead.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't let this crown get to my head mate. My opinion on Teso remains the same though.

Ahh, it's like watching your kid grow from boy to man

orig

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

Absolute disgrace to play for another country IMO, but yeah he should of. I know he doesn't care because he is another mercenary but with each failure he loses more and more of HIS people, the argies. Una puta vergüenza para la Argentina. Nunca fue y nunca será el Diego. 

Right. Let me get this straight and correct me if I'm wrong.

Messi in your eyes is a mercenary for being a one man club and choosing to represent the nation of his birth? 

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

@Teso dos Bichos been on the 420 again.

This is far stronger. 

I will add though that it gets boring reading the whole "Messi failed for Argentina" debate time and time again, especially when it is irrelevant to the current discussion. I don't care for the opinion but it's brought up so many times that it's derailing and just dilutes proper discussion on the forum. That along with the whole Peru vs Mexico debate and Klopp not having any trophies. It is boring as fuck now, and I am sure I'm not the only one. We've been reading the same shite weekly for about a year now.

I personally don't care for the opinion and even less about anyone's position on this forum, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't a boring read.

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ahh, it's like watching your kid grow from boy to man

orig

It's kind of a funny story actually, and its the reason I won MOTM I'm convinced.

One day a few months ago I told people about my stress toys (you know those tangly things) the levels of my anxiety and my ADHD and since I have talked about those things, I have lost all will to socialize. I occassionally talk with friends but for the most part I only care about family now. I've become indifferent to the world.

Before, I used to get overwhelmed if I had periods of popularity and was really anxious about what people thought about me. Since I revealed some of that information, I've just tried to enjoy life and not care about social aspects... I hope that makes sense. 

It won me MOTM because my efforts weren't held back by immaturity. Should my posts be any good is up to you, but you ultimately decided they were good, so hey. Who am I to complain :) 

Archived