talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ballon d'Or 2018 Winner: Luka Modrić

football forum

31 minutes ago, Stan said:

but their vote doesn't matter anyway?

Of course it doesn’t, but the way it was going and whatever is meant to happen it could’ve seriously undermined it all. 700,000+ and whatever was to come in the remaining months of the poll is something I don’t think they expected. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Of course it doesn’t, but the way it was going and whatever is meant to happen it could’ve seriously undermined it all. 700,000+ and whatever was to come in the remaining months of the poll is something I don’t think they expected. 

What I meant is that you said they've voted but ultimately it's decided by France Football. So why are they voting?

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

What I meant is that you said they've voted but ultimately it's decided by France Football. So why are they voting?

It's decided by the leading editors of each affiliated sports newspaper around the world... They vote on who wins or not with France Football's way of voting.

But the magazine itself like many football portals decided to run a poll for the fans too so as to see their opinion.  But it seems that they weren't expecting such a landslide in favour of one player and definitely not a player they had out of their first 15 (that player was the best player in the world) and also so many votes in just 24 hours.

Hypothetically speaking and without knowing what the outcome will eventually be, the magazine itself was being made to already look foolish in one particular and fundamental factor which is having left Lionel Messi out of their leading 15 players.

Summary... They weren't expecting this and were being made to look ridiculous with their poll and now look completely inept by actually being cowards and pulling it down when it was set to end in December. 

Remember another thing... These awards like anything relating to football is for the fans.  It's for football fan digestion and if their opinion is in stark contrast held by those that provide for the fans (this includes the sports press as we are their customers), then they have made fools of themselves.

21 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I wouldn't take those polls seriously, they are just popularity contests. It's why Salah got such a high vote, he is massively popular all over the Arab world and Arab diaspora across Europe, they will vote in their thousands.

Well France Football took it seriously enough.

That's by the by... They set up a poll and closed it 3 months before schedule.

The award itself is meaningless because everyone (almost everyone) knows who is the best or more or less where everyone stands.

Anyway... It's news, it's news that's making the news.

21 minutes ago, Marc said:

Which award is voted for by national team captains and managers etc? wasn't that Ballon d'or?

That used to be the Ballon d'Or when it was ran in conjunction with France Football and FIFA (they adjoined the original format of sports writers and football captains and national coaches).  But when France Football regained sole control of the Ballon d'Or from FIFA they returned to the original format of sports writers alone and FIFA created The Best Award which runs through voting by captains and coaches of national sides.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That used to be the Ballon d'Or when it was ran in conjunction with France Football and FIFA (they adjoined the original format of sports writers and football captains and national coaches).  But when France Football regained sole control of the Ballon d'Or from FIFA they returned to the original format of sports writers alone and FIFA created The Best Award which runs through voting by captains and coaches of national sides.

Ah right. It's a shame that they've managed to complicate things and we don't seem to have a definitive 'player of the year'. I think the award is most credible when it's voted for by players and managers. They don't care about who is the most marketable and (most) won't hopefully wouldn't have a personal preference.

Fans shouldn't vote, fans are stupid and bias. As proven by that poll a page earlier. Salah getting 30% and CR7 8% or something and Modric 2%? Salah will always get massive support from the muslim population and liverpool supporters.

38 minutes ago, Marc said:

Ah right. It's a shame that they've managed to complicate things and we don't seem to have a definitive 'player of the year'. I think the award is most credible when it's voted for by players and managers. They don't care about who is the most marketable and (most) won't hopefully wouldn't have a personal preference.

Fans shouldn't vote, fans are stupid and bias. As proven by that poll a page earlier. Salah getting 30% and CR7 8% or something and Modric 2%? Salah will always get massive support from the muslim population and liverpool supporters.

You have bias involved in all the professions from seasoned journalists to national captains and coaches.  You only have to look at how captains and national coaches have voted in the past for their own in obscure football nations to see this.

There is no sure way to ascertain these things and you only hope that the cream rises to the top.  What's for sure is that Messi wasn't outisde the top 15 last season no matter how much you're trying to be stupidly clever.

41 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You have bias involved in all the professions from seasoned journalists to national captains and coaches.  You only have to look at how captains and national coaches have voted in the past for their own in obscure football nations to see this.

There is no sure way to ascertain these things and you only hope that the cream rises to the top.  What's for sure is that Messi wasn't outisde the top 15 last season no matter how much you're trying to be stupidly clever.

I'm sorry? What are you on about here? Didn't mention or imply anything towards your boy messi.

Please mind your language when replying and try not to make it personal again, thanks.

12 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Salah xD

Bottled the Champions League final and might aswell not turned up at the World Cup. Started this season poorly too which should affect an award which is taking into account the full calendar year. 

Give him the Balon d'Or though. Best in the world. Going to tell my grandkids about him :dam:.

His domestic campaign and champions league campaign was comparable to Messi's. He was incredibly influential in a great many matches and in getting Liverpool too the CL final in the first place. 

Thanks @Cannabis glad you are here and some of the mods are on the ball. Thankfully it looks like @SirBalon is staying quiet. How does the saying go? If you don't have anything nice to say...

I think it's hard to argue that the top 3 should be anything other than CR7, Messi, and Modric. In no particular order.

7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

@SirBalon blesses us with his teachings when he chooses. His silence means we are not worthy. 

The best member of staff we have, and a true figurehead in TF365's version of Mount Rushmore.

I am not worthy of these blessings sir... I deserve a certain amount of lashes with a very flexible birch tree branch on my bare bottom. :$

14 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Except the Balon d'Or is awarded for the calendar year so whilst he did well from January to May, he's been pretty average since.

A poor World Cup (one of his two goals was a penalty) and nothing of note this season. 

In Egypt's AFCON qualifiers against Niger last month he missed two penalties in the first half and scored in the third penalty from a rebound after keeper made the save :ay:

Archived