talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jardim Out - Monaco Hire Thierry Henry as Replacement

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Does seem a bit of an over-reaction looking from the outside in given how long he's been there and what they've achieved over that time. He was being linked with some top jobs not that long ago.

It seems a bit of a strange decision if they let Jardim go considering what's already been said about them losing their top performers every summer.  I get that Thierry Henry is a massive name in the sport and add to it all with him having played for AS Monaco, but all the same he is a novice to this and they have a coach that's done some very good work there and was being connected to big jobs.

• Subscriber

That is a huge gamble really.

Jardim's done a great job there over the years. They've started terribly for sure and maybe it suits all parties to go separate ways but he'll bad a good job I'd imagine, maybe in La Liga.

8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

To think about a month ago we were all pretty much in agreement that Jardin would be a sensible shout to replace Mourinho at Old Trafford.

Still do. He's done some pretty remarkable things there given the talent has been stripped from him every season, and the integration and development of youth he continues to do should never go unnoticed. 

He is in my opinion in the same elk as Poch. 

He's gone.

Leonardo Jardim & AS Monaco – it’s over

As reported this morning by Monaco-MatinL’Équipeand RMC, Portuguese technician Leonardo Jardim’s 4-year adventure with AS Monaco is coming to an end, in a move that could be formalised as quickly as today, with Jardim expected to meet with the club’s board today.

Last night, sources at AS Monaco said that they “are working on an amicable separation” agreement with the coach – whilst both parties are leaving each other with a fondness, this is a conscious decision on behalf of the Principality side’s board to end their collaboration with the Portuguese manager.

A source inside Monaco told journalists that “the squad was no longer responding, it was not easy for the team nor for the coach who was suffering” from the reality he faced.

Jardim was ominous post-match on Sunday, after suffering a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Rennes: “Like everyone, I am in danger when the results aren’t there, I don’t have a different situation from my colleagues.” Despite the fact that Jardim’s name was still sung by supporters on Sunday, his Monaco adventure has come to an end.

The reality was that Jardim was facing his 5th campaign as Monaco boss but with a squad that no longer responded appropriately to the demands he was making. A source at the club has said: “Even the key players were no longer responding to his methods.”

Even before Sunday’s defeat against Rennes, the AS Monaco board had begun to look for replacements, with Laurent Blanc, Arsène Wenger, Marcelo Gallardo, Claude Puel and Antonio Conte mentioned to the Russian hierarchy.

They are currently in negotiations with three candidates, one of whom is Thierry Henry, another is an Italian coach whose identity has not filtered through and the third is a complete mystery at the time of writing.

Henry in recent hours has rejected an offer to coach Aston Villa and was contacted by Monaco first through intermediaries about 10 days ago. If Henry were to make the move, he would be working with Nacer Chadli and Youri Tielemans, who knows well from his current duties as a member of the Belgian national team’s coaching staff.

At 41, Henry knows Monaco and the training ground at La Turbie inside out, he regularly visits, and the idea of him becoming the new boss at AS Monaco pleases the Prince Albert.

If Henry were to come, he would be joined by former team-mate Gilles Grimandi as assistant manager. The French international has already spoken to fellow managers about their opinions on whether or not he would take the job.

Meanwhile, the sacking of Leonardo Jardim is set to cost AS Monaco €6m…

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2018/leonardo-jardim-as-monaco-its-over/

Curious that the fans were still chanting Jardim's name... Fans that go to grounds see a very different picture to the one on a tv screen and they may have sensed or observed that efforts were unequal on the pitch.

Anyhow... It'll be interesting to see how a different coach handles being the figurehead of a club that sells its best assets on the pitch almost every transfer window.  There is absolutely no appeal to coach that club in my view.

• The title was changed to Jardim Out - Monaco Hire Thierry Henry as Replacement
On 13/10/2018 at 10:41, Cannabis said:

Will be interesting to see how he starts life in management, imagine if Jardim had been sacked a week later and he started with Villa? 

Reminds me of the time Jack Colback committed sin by leaving Sunderland for Newcastle, then found out that West Ham were interested and would pay more money. So he tried to get out of his agreed contract xD

• Administrator

I think he’ll do a good job to be honest. I don’t expect him to be there long, but I think he’ll do ok. His arrival will be a massive motivational boost, long term it will be interesting to see whether his tactical ability is of equal footing

• Subscriber

I'm way late to the party on this thread but word is that Jardim was pretty happy to leave and to be fair I can't blame him. Winning the title with that team that's now been scattered to the wind is as much as he's likely to achieve at Monaco and it's a huge rebuild needed now only to possibly achieve the same thing again that he's already done.

Interested to see how Henry gets on.

Archived