talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What's Going Wrong at Bayern Munich?

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Haven't Bayern been perennial league winners for a very long time, with only the odd random title challenger to sometimes pip them to it? I feel like they've always been by far the best German side for the entirety of my life.

Yeah Bayern have always been the biggest, richest club, but if you look at the record, they never won more than a couple in a row up until the Heynckes-Guardiola era.

It was normal for Bayern to have a strong team, win the league, then lose a bit of steam, allowing a nearby strong challenger to win a title or two. They never had the relentless consistency they had under Guardiola. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Inverted said:

Yeah Bayern have always been the biggest, richest club, but if you look at the record, they never won more than a couple in a row up until the Henckes-Guardiola era.

It was normal for Bayern to have a strong team, win the league, then lose a bit of steam, allowing a nearby strong challenger to win a title or two. They never had the relentless consistency they had under Guardiola. 

I think thats the biggest thing thats often overlooked. That was by far the most consistent and dominant Bayern team domestically as I can remember.  Pep rotated pretty consistently and the team never lost a beat. They baught in pretty early on but the team showed improvement every season. The impossible expectations to repeat in Europe aside the fact they he reached 3 straight semi's isnt something to scoff at either, with a little more luck specifically in the third year the story might have had a different ending. 

12 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I think thats the biggest thing thats often overlooked. That was by far the most consistent and dominant Bayern team domestically as I can remember.  Pep rotated pretty consistently and the team never lost a beat. They baught in pretty early on but the team showed improvement every season. The impossible expectations to repeat in Europe aside the fact they he reached 3 straight semi's isnt something to scoff at either, with a little more luck specifically in the third year the story might have had a different ending. 

People just assume that because it looks impossible for Bayern to lose the league now, that it has always been that way.

Having the most talented, well-paid squad doesn't in itself guarantee the title every single season. People hate to admit it, but there is a lot of work to do even with a superior squad. It's hard to avoid things become stale when the players are used to success.  It takes a particular skill set to keep players hungry in those circumstances, and Guardiola is possibly the best in the world at it.

It's a luxury skillset for sure, and there's no denying he's a luxury manager. But he can take world-class players who have won almost everything and still get them to adapt to new tactical ideas, to adjust their styles of play, and most importantly, to go out with total focus for 90 minutes every week and run like maniacs.

Press conference was a little embarrassing. Hoeness asking that journalists show some respect and not single-out individuals is hilarious after his comments about Oezil. He even slated Juan Bernat in this very same press conference. The man is utterly without shame. 

I agree that it is totally wrong to blame the workers whilst the 'bosses' seem to have avoided or ignored the problems.  I have never seen a game where Ribery, Robben and Neuer have done anything but try their damndest to succeed - that is just not ion their nature, but to expect them to carry the team and perform for 90 minutes in the style they could five years ago is daft - they need support and effort from the others - including the bench and the boardroom.  Age is no block when confidence is challenged and I would be surprised if after what they have done for the team in the past has in any way caused the genuine supporters to question them now.  Their experience is vital to help the younger players - viz: Diego and Mesut, Raul and Max and Leon on the training pitch when they were starting.  Both sets were given that confidence that only experience can offer - who is not better for the work of older teachers in school helping when asked.  I am struggling with 04 - not because of the players, but because of the direction they are being given and as far as I can see that is not the case in Munich.  Patience gentlemen!  Play the Brenda Lee song - "Just behind the Rainbow" a few times and learn from it!

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Inverted said:

Press conference was a little embarrassing. Hoeness asking that journalists show some respect and not single-out individuals is hilarious after his comments about Oezil. He even slated Juan Bernat in this very same press conference. The man is utterly without shame. 

I said something in the Bayern thread... maybe we should be merging this there. Basically shows the complete lack of class hes exuded for awhile. Its a shame for all the great hes done for the club hes trying really hard to undo it in a few short years.  

Archived