Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Dean Smith Takes Over Aston Villa


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

Feel for Bruce a bit, to be honest. I do wonder how much the death of one of his parents took his eye away from his job and knocked his motivation. 

This season was always going to be tough for whoever had the job there after a summer of not knowing what was going on in regards to the ownership, consequently leaving them behind in terms of recruitment and retention. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Feel for Bruce a bit, to be honest. I do wonder how much the death of one of his parents took his eye away from his job and knocked his motivation. 

This season was always going to be tough for whoever had the job there after a summer of not knowing what was going on in regards to the ownership, consequently leaving them behind in terms of recruitment and retention. 

I’ve wanted him gone since Jan/Feb 17 when it was obvious that the game has passed him by and he’s completely out of date for the modern game. A total knacker of a manager who because he’s one of the boys will no doubt be in another job within 3 months

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoever takes over cannot moan at all. They will be inheriting arguably the best squad in the division and have more than enough time to get them performing well enough for a top 2 tilt with funds in January no doubt. Very appealing for anyone that fancies it.

And given Villa are one of the 'bigger fishes in the pond', I should imagine they could entice some pretty decent calibre of manager. Maybe even tempt someone like Wagner away from a seemingly doomed Huddersfield.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fairly confident Dean Smith will stay with us, but you just never know in football. It could well dent our play off attempt if he goes.

Despite what you’ll hear on talkshite and the like most don’t want him from my experience. We appreciate with Brentford it’s the system rather than the man that works

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do sympathise with Steve Bruce, his record at this level does speak for itself. Based on last season there's a string argument to suggest he would have improved results once the team settled. It was a chaotic summer and they haven't replaced John Terry's leadership skills.

That said, in modern football with a decent budget at a certain level there is an expectancy that you win and you win a certain way. If the football isn't pleasing to watch you pretty much half fans patience. Sam Allardyce at Everton is an example of this, and Steve Bruce is the latest example.

Unfortunately I think that's him done at this level. People will remember the size of the budget and the quality of football instead of the turnaround last season.

I am not really sure what Aston Villa need at the moment. Giving a massive budget to an unknown like Thierry Henry seems mental when there's such expectation. At the same time, you could argue given the characters he's worked with as a player and a coach that Thierry Henry has as much knowledge and experience with interesting characters as Dean Smith. I think they need experience, but the fans I imagine wouldn't want another Steve Bruce mark like Mick McCarthy or Sam Allardyce. Its going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

David Moyes........ 

No chance the media are just recycling all sorts of trash because the reality is they don’t know. 

We’re at advanced stages with a sporting director, moyes never works under those conditions. 

It will be younger, it will be to implement a style of play and it will be to play attacking football. 

Pardew, fat sam, moyes, any other perennial talk sport darling will almost definitely not be getting the job. 

6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I do sympathise with Steve Bruce, his record at this level does speak for itself. Based on last season there's a string argument to suggest he would have improved results once the team settled. It was a chaotic summer and they haven't replaced John Terry's leadership skills.

That said, in modern football with a decent budget at a certain level there is an expectancy that you win and you win a certain way. If the football isn't pleasing to watch you pretty much half fans patience. Sam Allardyce at Everton is an example of this, and Steve Bruce is the latest example.

Unfortunately I think that's him done at this level. People will remember the size of the budget and the quality of football instead of the turnaround last season.

I am not really sure what Aston Villa need at the moment. Giving a massive budget to an unknown like Thierry Henry seems mental when there's such expectation. At the same time, you could argue given the characters he's worked with as a player and a coach that Thierry Henry has as much knowledge and experience with interesting characters as Dean Smith. I think they need experience, but the fans I imagine wouldn't want another Steve Bruce mark like Mick McCarthy or Sam Allardyce. Its going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Bruce failed last season, there’s no defence of him a truly dog shit manager I could pick apart all 100 games it’s been abysmal. With the resources poured into this side for the championship it’s been like having a F1 car against hatchbacks and still coming third.

I pity whoever’s club he walks into, a nice guy and loved by his media chums but a fucking knacker it’s really Mike Bassett in RL at times. He even said “I don’t do tactics” 😂

Liam Rosenior is probably the only pundit that’s actually bothered to watch us and comment that I’ve seen. Most have said “he stabilised them” and “it’s because of the Birmingham history”. Rosenior called it what it was a shapeless mess with no plan, it’s been that way since he walked in here. Good riddance 

im happy to give it a young coach with 18 months to build a team with a style of play 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/10/2018 at 09:55, Fairy In Boots said:

Despite what you’ll hear on talkshite and the like most don’t want him from my experience. We appreciate with Brentford it’s the system rather than the man that works

Most clubs are more savvy with us now to be fair, and it seems the media too. No more articles about how our owner forced the manager to play long balls because his statistics told him too for example xD The Daily Mail really is a rag.

Anyway if he were to go, which he's not definitively said no to but has said as much that he's happy with us and speculation is just that...I'd imagine our no.2 Thomas Frank will come out of the shadows and take over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Well that's rubbish. Ipswich fans said they'd give Mick McCarthy years, they're booing after eleven games.

No I think most Villa fans recognised we needed to Rebuild when we dropped and would have welcomed that. The takeover and moneyball put paid to that so there was/is expectation. 

The biggest criticism of Bruce is there’s no style of play been implemented and he’s used loan players rather than build a side.

16 hours ago, Danny said:

Most clubs are more savvy with us now to be fair, and it seems the media too. No more articles about how our owner forced the manager to play long balls because his statistics told him too for example xD The Daily Mail really is a rag.

Anyway if he were to go, which he's not definitively said no to but has said as much that he's happy with us and speculation is just that...I'd imagine our no.2 Thomas Frank will come out of the shadows and take over.

Lol Smith would crawl over broken glass bollock naked just to take an interview. If you didn’t take that from his recounting of his old Mand support and his reminiscing about being on the Holte as a kid you’re mad. 

I know we’re not the club we once were and the games moved on & although regarded as a traditionally big club,  in your’s and my lifetime Villa haven’t been a massive club or done anything to be a in the category of the big boys. But to blokes 40+ in the Midlands we’re still huge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Villa fans are of all similar opinion to Fairy then Dean Smith seems like a logical option. If they want to play in a certain way to get to the top they will have to appoint somebody who isn't experienced in promotion at this level either overseas or from a traditionally smaller club. Given Dean Smith's affillitaion he seems like the logical candidate.

If they do go down this route they will need structure at the top with a director of football, sporting director etc. The days of complete control to one man look set to be finished. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If Villa fans are of all similar opinion to Fairy then Dean Smith seems like a logical option. If they want to play in a certain way to get to the top they will have to appoint somebody who isn't experienced in promotion at this level either overseas or from a traditionally smaller club. Given Dean Smith's affillitaion he seems like the logical candidate.

If they do go down this route they will need structure at the top with a director of football, sporting director etc. The days of complete control to one man look set to be finished. 

Sporting director is imminent and has been for some time. Rumours it’s Marc Overmars but idk about how true that is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Former Aston Villa midfielder Stiliyan Petrov has applied for the vacant manger's role at his old club, Sky Sports News understands.

Sky understands Petrov has added his name to the list of people looking to take over after Steve Bruce was sacked last week for a poor start to the season with the Midlands club currently sitting 15th in the Sky Bet Championship.

Petrov has previously worked alongside Gordan Cowans in Villa's U23 set-up before progressing to help coach the first team during their pre-season tour of Austria in 2016.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roberto Martinez could become the new Aston Villa manager if his current Belgium No 2 Thierry Henry does not get the job, Sky Sports News understands.

Henry remains the prime candidate to succeed Steve Bruce, with Villa's new owners also keen to bring John Terry to the club as a member of the coaching staff.

Sky Sports News reported on Sunday that Villa were still working through interviewing their shortlist and may take most of the two-week international break to find their man.

Ex-Everton and Wigan boss Martinez, who took Belgium to the World Cup semi-finals, is understood to have admirers among Villa bosses, who also still retain an interest in Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers and Jose Mourinho's former assistant Rui Faria.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/10/2018 at 16:18, Stan said:

Your wish has come true.

Steve Bruce set to be sacked.

 

 

Cabbage 1-0 Steve Bruce

 

They've been to Rotterdam and everywhere. Liverpool and Rome. But now they're throwing cabbages, cabbages at home, cabbages at home

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

They've been to Rotterdam and everywhere. Liverpool and Rome. But now they're throwing cabbages, cabbages at home, cabbages at home

I see you like that chant then. 

My personal favourite was when having blown a 2-0 Lead v Preston they chanted to Bruce “we’ll be there or thereabouts” 🤣

Edited by Fairy In Boots
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I see you like that chant then. 

My personal favourite was when having blown a 2-0 Lead v Preston they chanted to Bruce “we’ll be there or thereabouts” 🤣

Ha ha saw it on Facebook. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...