• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dean Smith Takes Over Aston Villa

football forum

On 03/10/2018 at 16:18, Stan said:

Your wish has come true.

Steve Bruce set to be sacked.

Cabbage 1-0 Steve Bruce

They've been to Rotterdam and everywhere. Liverpool and Rome. But now they're throwing cabbages, cabbages at home, cabbages at home

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

They've been to Rotterdam and everywhere. Liverpool and Rome. But now they're throwing cabbages, cabbages at home, cabbages at home

I see you like that chant then. 

My personal favourite was when having blown a 2-0 Lead v Preston they chanted to Bruce “we’ll be there or thereabouts” 🤣

37 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I see you like that chant then. 

My personal favourite was when having blown a 2-0 Lead v Preston they chanted to Bruce “we’ll be there or thereabouts” 🤣

Ha ha saw it on Facebook. 

Villa need to be careful this doesnt turn into a farce. They have the ideal period to go out, get their man and get him working with some of the squad.

This smells like it could drag on which isnt good for anyone. Makes me wonder exactly who they identified as the number one target and whether they just 'settle' for Dean Smith because there is no one else? 

If I'm perfectly honest, I don't know if he's really all that. Brentford have proved they can function just as well no matter who is there really.

I wouldnt be surprised if Carlos Carvalhal is approached if they are struggling. Knows the division, nearly took Wednesday up twice, out of work so cheap etc

Smith announced, JT assistant manager and a new sporting Director. 

Also Faria wasn’t offered the job, Henry was but picked Monaco. Can’t blame him nechalls is grim. 

I’m dubious as to how smith will go as I attribute most of Brentford’s success to their set up but Walsall like him. Villa fan though so hopefully he gets the club, think our past few managers haven’t 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Villa need to be careful this doesnt turn into a farce. They have the ideal period to go out, get their man and get him working with some of the squad.

This smells like it could drag on which isnt good for anyone. Makes me wonder exactly who they identified as the number one target and whether they just 'settle' for Dean Smith because there is no one else? 

If I'm perfectly honest, I don't know if he's really all that. Brentford have proved they can function just as well no matter who is there really.

I wouldnt be surprised if Carlos Carvalhal is approached if they are struggling. Knows the division, nearly took Wednesday up twice, out of work so cheap etc

Lol timed that well 😂

Think Smith was on the shortlist, Sarwais liked Henry though. 

Terry was required as part of the from any perspective manager, I reckon that probably put Henry off

10 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Smith announced, JT assistant manager and a new sporting Director. 

Also Faria wasn’t offered the job, Henry was but picked Monaco. Can’t blame him nechalls is grim. 

I’m dubious as to how smith will go as I attribute most of Brentford’s success to their set up but Walsall like him. Villa fan though so hopefully he gets the club, think our past few managers haven’t 

We are set up to work as a machine rather than a manager but Dean was very involved with transfers. Don't think he'll do a Warburton but you're getting someone who knows how to plan for the long term.

Oh and you'll end up playing dynamite football so win win.

What are your weakest areas on the pitch and I'll tell you who you're gunna try and raid from us xD

In fact expect to see bids for Mepham and Rico Henry at least.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

We are set up to work as a machine rather than a manager but Dean was very involved with transfers. Don't think he'll do a Warburton but you're getting someone who knows how to plan for the long term.

Oh and you'll end up playing dynamite football so win win.

What are your weakest areas on the pitch and I'll tell you who you're gunna try and raid from us xD

In fact expect to see bids for Mepham and Rico Henry at least.

Defence is our weakest area, and in goal. 

Think we’ll finally see Hogan utilised properly

Just now, Fairy In Boots said:

Defence is our weakest area, and in goal. 

Think we’ll finally see Hogan utilised properly

He took Rico Henry from Walsall so I'd not be surprised to see him try and sign him.

Mepham is one of, if not the best 20 year old CB in the league but you'll probably have to pay around £20m-£25m for him. Konsa has just joined so I don't see you going for him.

Tbh I'd be surprised if we sold anyone big in January anyway as if we get things back on track this is looking to be a play off season and if we look good for promotion I don't think Benham would want us to sell.

Yoanne Barbet is out of contract soon, plays left back and centre back, could see you bidding for him.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

He took Rico Henry from Walsall so I'd not be surprised to see him try and sign him.

Mepham is one of, if not the best 20 year old CB in the league but you'll probably have to pay around £20m-£25m for him. Konsa has just joined so I don't see you going for him.

Tbh I'd be surprised if we sold anyone big in January anyway as if we get things back on track this is looking to be a play off season and if we look good for promotion I don't think Benham would want us to sell.

Yoanne Barbet is out of contract soon, plays left back and centre back, could see you bidding for him.

I don’t know how constrained we are by FFP in January. I wouldn’t be surprised if we look at 1-2 in cheaply or on loan and 1-2 out. 

Lansbury, Hogan, hourihane must be buzzing. 

• Administrator

Didn't Brentford's last manager do this and they ended up missing out on promotion after starting well? 

When will Brentford be able to stave off clubs from poaching their best assets? 

Just now, Stan said:

Didn't Brentford's last manager do this and they ended up missing out on promotion after starting well? 

When will Brentford be able to stave off clubs from poaching their best assets? 

No, our last manager was a mistake by the board who was a replacement for Warburton.

And your last comment would suggest you don't know how we operate!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

No, our last manager was a mistake by the board who was a replacement for Warburton.

And your last comment would suggest you don't know how we operate!

Yeah sorry, I meant Warburton. I seem to remember him having a good start and then leaving. 

Well, if anything it's going to be a great challenge for Dean Smith. He's going completely out of his comfort zone at a side he loves. If he was ever going to make this jump, now is it as he's joining Villa at a time when fans will be craving his style of football.

I would be pretty sceptical about joining a team where the backroom staff are effectively being decided for you. I guess that's the sacrifice he's willing to make for a job he's always wanted.

Brentford I imagine will be fine, there recruitment is often very good and from what Danny has said the assistant manager effectively shares the same mindset as Dean Smith so it should be a quick transition for them.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yeah sorry, I meant Warburton. I seem to remember him having a good start and then leaving. 

Warburton didn't buy into the vision of what the club is now, wanted complete control over transfers. His leaving was announced mid season and we still made the play offs, no one attributes not getting promotion to his leaving, we were soundly beaten by a better Middlesborough side over two legs.

We flopped a bit the following season, largely due to the new manager being the wrong person for the job, largely due to players on short contracts leaving, largely due to having to meet FFP rules and sold few key players on top.

We're in a much healthier position now than then.

36 minutes ago, Danny said:

A part of me will be surprised if Dean Smith will have much of a say in transfers given they're intending on bringing in a director of football and have forced an assistant manager on him. 

Fingers crossed anyway, Brentford are looked at as a side where you can sign somebody for a reasonable price. Chris Mepham for example looks like he's taylor made to already shift in to that Aston Villa starting eleven.

Archived