Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

The Gay Man vs Bakery Court Case


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

A cake shop has won its appeal over being fined because it would not put in icing the slogan " Support Gay Marriage "

Where do you guys stand on this matter? I'f i'm not mistaken there have been several incidents like this one. 

Edited by Cicero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Where did it happen? 

Belfast 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/world/europe/northern-ireland-cake-gay.html

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The gentleman is asking for the services of a cake shop, that shop can determine what it does and doesn't want to create.

The gentleman has no right to demand that his slogan is created by the shop and it's common sense that any fine has been retracted. 

Great news 👌

There is a thin line.

Refusing to serve them on the basis they are gay, is discrimination. However, if they are demanding him to customise the cake with something that goes against his religious and moral principals, it is his right to refuse to do so. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bluewolf said:

 

Interesting.. Do you have a link to the article @Cicero?? 

It's a bit vague.. was it icing on a cake for example or something else?? 

 

I posted the link. 

The icing on the cake stated  " We support Gay Marriage" or something along those lines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers, I was just trying to figure out if it's a good or bad business decision... Given that same-sex marriage is not legal in Northern Ireland, it's probably good for business haha.

After reading the article, it looks like the objection was to the message on the cake, not the customer; and they had served him in the past but refused it this time due to the message being inconsistent with their religious beliefs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok.. 

Not the first time something like this has happened.... 

Obviously they don't follow 'the customer is always right rule' then.. 

It's a hard one, On one hand if that Bakery offered that service regardless of their personal beliefs I don't see why they could not have fulfilled it, On the other hand I also don't believe that because the shop declined to do it based on their beliefs that they should be punished either.. It's all about one belief trying to impose itself upon another and you really won't get a satisfactory result from it either way you go about it.. 

You would probably have to side with the shop taking everything else into consideration.. Such are the times that having been turned down that he felt the best course of action was to drag the whole thing through the courts... should have just gone to another cake shop the daft sod..  

 

 

Edited by Bluewolf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

It was the latter.

Right, in which I 100% agree with the Baker and the Court's ruling 

He's not refusing them service because they are gay. He's refusing to make a gay cake. 

Edited by Cicero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I side with the baker here (and not just because I used to work in a bakery and my dad's a baker and his dad was a baker and his dad was a baker, etc...).

Remove the gayness from the equation here and instead make this the situation. A Nazi comes into a bakery and asks for a cake to be made that says "Support the Nazi Party" and it's surrounded by swastikas. Should the baker have the right to refuse making that cake?

Yes. He should have the right to refuse that cake. Just like printing companies shouldn't be compelled to make giant billboards with child porn on them if a kiddy fiddler comes in.

And I don't mean to compare gay people with scum like Nazis and child molesters to say they're all equal morally. But taking things that are universally easy to condemn and applying them to the situation makes it clear that you can't just compel someone to perform services for you just because you want to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of our fundamental rights is to have our religious and philosophical objections protected. Business law however prevents any sort of discrimination. 

He isn't downright refusing to serve the gay couple. He just doesn't want to make that kind of cake they requested. 

Edited by Cicero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

I'd go as far as to say that the baker has the right to produce what he wants. It would be incredibly petty and ridiculous but if an Evertonian supporting baker refused to make a YNWA cake then he has the right to do so. 

As I say incredibly petty, but each individual should have the right to refuse or accept for me.

I mean if someone came into my dad's bakery and was like "I want an Everton cake" and my dad said "alright" then made a big fuck off LFC themed cake to sell to the blueshite customer... I think my dad would be well in the wrong. I don't think it's an absolute right to produce what the baker wants - if he agrees to make something, that's what he should make. But I think he's got the right to refuse service if he doesn't want to make something in most, if not all, cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

One of our fundamental rights is to have our religious and philosophical objections protected. Business law however prevents any sort of discrimination. 

He isn't downright refusing to serve the gay couple. He just doesn't want to make that kind of cake they requested. 

Now this I'm not sure I agree with. I think everyone should be allowed to practice whatever religion they want, if they're so inclined (although I'd prefer that they didn't, because religion is cancer). But I'm not so sure religious objections need to be protected - certain religions are opposed to certain things for no good fucking reason. If I ran a restaurant, am I to pull pork products because Jews and Muslims object to pork? Fuck that.

I agree with your last sentence though. This isn't discrimination if the gay couple can order a cake from him, he's simply refusing to perform the service they requested and imo he's free to do so. And the couple is free to take their business elsewhere to a baker that will make them the cake they want. They aren't compelled to buy a cake from this baker, just as he's not compelled to make them a cake he doesn't want to make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Now this I'm not sure I agree with. I think everyone should be allowed to practice whatever religion they want, if they're so inclined (although I'd prefer that they didn't, because religion is cancer). But I'm not so sure religious objections need to be protected - certain religions are opposed to certain things for no good fucking reason. If I ran a restaurant, am I to pull pork products because Jews and Muslims object to pork? Fuck that.

I agree with your last sentence though. This isn't discrimination if the gay couple can order a cake from him, he's simply refusing to perform the service they requested and imo he's free to do so. And the couple is free to take their business elsewhere to a baker that will make them the cake they want. They aren't compelled to buy a cake from this baker, just as he's not compelled to make them a cake he doesn't want to make.

You're looking at it the wrong way.  This right is on the basis of someone forcing something upon you that contradicts your religious/philosophical beliefs.

Like  If someone was to force a Muslim to serve them alcohol/pork. That is a violation of the Muslim's religious right. Their negative right. If you ran a restaurant, you have full authority to conduct business as you see fit so long it regulates under business law.  If a Muslim demands you to not serve pork/alcohol, you can tell them to fuck off. 

 

 

Edited by Cicero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

You're looking at it the wrong way.  This right is on the basis of someone forcing something upon you that contradicts your religious/philosophical beliefs.

Like  If someone was to force a Muslim to serve them alcohol/pork. That is a violation of the Muslim's religious right. Their negative right. If you ran a restaurant, you have full authority to conduct business as you see fit so long it regulates under business law.  

 

 

Yeah, wording it that way makes a lot more sense and I agree with you there.

I think that whole phrase about fundamental rights to be protected from religious objections just threw my mind to that typical Y'all Qaeda American rallying cry of "but muh religious freedom!!" which always makes me roll my eyes. That remnant of America being founded by our religious extremists and being so prominent in American politics still is something that just rubs me the wrong way lol.

My mistake though - I actually agree with your whole post xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be discrimination if they refused him service just because he's gay. Not exactly the same as refusing to put a political message that's against their beliefs on their product and use it to promote something they're opposed to. What if someone else went to a gay baker and asked for a cake with anti-gay marriage message and he refused? Would it be discrimination as well?

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

It would be discrimination if they refused him service just because he's gay. Not exactly the same as refusing to put a political message that's against their beliefs on their product and use it to promote something they're opposed to. What if someone else went to a gay baker and asked for a cake with anti-gay marriage message and he refused? Would it be discrimination as well?

 

No because equality is a human right....not a political stance. It would be the same as refusing to serve someone wanting something racist on their cake

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Danny said:

No because equality is a human right....not a political stance. It would be the same as refusing to serve someone wanting something racist on their cake

Marriage is a civil institution, not a human right though. Currently, same-sex marriages aren't legal in NI. Rallying for or against it in order to change the existing law is absolutely a political stance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Marriage is a civil institution, not a human right though. Currently, same-sex marriages aren't legal in NI. Rallying for or against it in order to change the existing law is absolutely a political stance. 

Maybe, and maybe whoever is over seeing this sees it in that way hence the fine being taken. But it's still discrimination and will be identified as such one day in the future when that level of bigotry stops holding NI back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yeah because the law has never enforced acts of discrimination before.

Except there is no discrimination at play. 

It's his business, and he is allowed to sell and make what ever he wants should it fall under the regulations of business law.  

Business law also states that you cannot refuse service on the basis of race, orientation, or color.  The baker didn't do that as he had clearly served this couple in the past and even offered to make a different cake. He just didn't want to make this kind of cake. 

It is the baker's negative and fundamental right, to have their religious and philosophical objections protected. No one can come in and force him to create a cake that he doesn't feel comfortable making let alone a cake that goes against his religious views. It's his business and he can conduct his business how he sees fit. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cicero said:

Except there is no discrimination at play. 

It's his business, and he is allowed to sell and make what ever he wants should it fall under the regulations of business law.  

Business law also states that you cannot refuse service on the basis of race, orientation, or color.  The baker didn't do that as he had clearly served this couple in the past and even offered to make a different cake. He just didn't want to make this kind of cake. 

It is the baker's negative and fundamental right, to have their religious and philosophical objections protected. No one can come in and force him to create a cake that he doesn't feel comfortable making let alone a cake that goes against his religious views. It's his business and he can conduct his business how he sees fit. 

 

 

He refused to ice the cake, that is a service his company provides. He refused to do it because he doesn't agree with gay marriage, that is bigotry. The failure to provide a service because of his bigotry is discrimination.

The law is hiding behind religious views to allow discrimination, it's not the first time it's happened and won't be the last. Marriage is not a religious ceremony, it is a legal ceremony, and the law currently discriminates against homosexuals in Northern Ireland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Danny said:

He refused to ice the cake, that is a service his company provides. He refused to do it because he doesn't agree with gay marriage, that is bigotry. The failure to provide a service because of his bigotry is discrimination.

The law is hiding behind religious views to allow discrimination, it's not the first time it's happened and won't be the last. Marriage is not a religious ceremony, it is a legal ceremony, and the law currently discriminates against homosexuals in Northern Ireland.

He refused to ice a cake to convey a specific message he doesn't agree with. If the couple had asked for a cake to have icing without that message on it, there would be no issue here. Now don't get me wrong, I think the guy is a bigot. But you can't compel people to make something in support of a political view they don't share.

Now what I think is most fucked up about this case is that the order was initially accepted and then later they refused to fulfill the order. The right thing to do would have been to have rejected the order from the get go.

As I've said earlier, there's no way they couldn't find another bakery in Belfast that would make the cake they wanted. So if their request had been rejected from the off, it would have been far easier for them to go find a non-bigoted bakery. I also think that the gay community in Belfast and those who support gay marriage have good reason to boycott this bakery and spread the word that the family who runs it are a bunch of bigoted twats and other bakers are less morally reprehensible and deserve more business. Because that's just capitalism.

I wonder if this means that printing companies can now refuse to print political ads for Tories and shite like this though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He refused to ice a cake to convey a specific message he doesn't agree with. If the couple had asked for a cake to have icing without that message on it, there would be no issue here. Now don't get me wrong, I think the guy is a bigot. But you can't compel people to make something in support of a political view they don't share.

Now what I think is most fucked up about this case is that the order was initially accepted and then later they refused to fulfill the order. The right thing to do would have been to have rejected the order from the get go.

As I've said earlier, there's no way they couldn't find another bakery in Belfast that would make the cake they wanted. So if their request had been rejected from the off, it would have been far easier for them to go find a non-bigoted bakery. I also think that the gay community in Belfast and those who support gay marriage have good reason to boycott this bakery and spread the word that the family who runs it are a bunch of bigoted twats and other bakers are less morally reprehensible and deserve more business. Because that's just capitalism.

I wonder if this means that printing companies can now refuse to print political ads for Tories and shite like this though.

It's still a service provided though isn't it. I get why they didn't do it. I get why the court has ruled in their favour.

I get that the law in NI also supports the family because same sex marriage is not legal. But being against same sex marriage is homophobic and refusing to provide a service because you don't want someone to convey a message of equality is discrimination.

What NI really needs is full equality for homosexuals in the form of same sex marriage and then this shit won't be happening, because legally it'd no longer be about political stance but about discrimination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Danny said:

It's still a service provided though isn't it. I get why they didn't do it. I get why the court has ruled in their favour.

I get that the law in NI also supports the family because same sex marriage is not legal. But being against same sex marriage is homophobic and refusing to provide a service because you don't want someone to convey a message of equality is discrimination.

What NI really needs is full equality for homosexuals in the form of same sex marriage and then this shit won't be happening, because legally it'd no longer be about political stance but about discrimination.

That will require a few generations of Northern Irishmen to either ditch being religious extremists... or die off. Societal progress is generally slow when there's large groups of ultra-religious people around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That will require a few generations of Northern Irishmen to either ditch being religious extremists... or die off. Societal progress is generally slow when there's large groups of ultra-religious people around.

Its why religion should never be mixed with politics, legitimising bigotry through religious beliefs helps create situations where discrimination is seen as a positive thing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I've understood from the beginning (followed the case briefly at the start) was that the bakery was targeted by those that eventually ordered the cake.

Equality is paramount in a modern educated and non ignorant society but then again full-on equality doesn't even exist in the countries that purport to be exactly that.  

Also... Remember that you get extremist views on all sides of the fence because one can boycott an establishment that fails to believe in equality, one can use social media these days with all the online services available to show up bigots.  But targeting and trying to ruin a family's life even if they are bigots is under the table tactics even if they (those that took the bakery to court) have the sympathy of the majority of normal, well educated accepting people in principle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...