football forum

• The title was changed to China vs India - Saturday 13th October, 2018
  • The topic was pinned
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

interesting match up. What are the respective rankings of the two? 

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

3-4.

bit lower than that.

China are 76; India are 97.

India are on FIFA games though so we get more respect.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Harry said:

Given the populations at play they really should be the two strongest teams in football. Maybe in 20 years they'll get there... one will surely host a world cup in that time period. 

not necessarily considering football isn't the primary/national sport. For India, anyway. Not sure what China's national sport is. Just because it's got a big population doesn't mean they should be a strong football team. Odd logic to have. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Given the populations at play they really should be the two strongest teams in football. Maybe in 20 years they'll get there... one will surely host a world cup in that time period. 

I won't bring in us but why hasn't India won more World cups than Australia and a better head to head record in Cricket despite having a bigger population and no sport coming near Cricket while in Australia many other sports are quite popular also ?

4 hours ago, Stan said:

not necessarily considering football isn't the primary/national sport. For India, anyway. Not sure what China's national sport is. Just because it's got a big population doesn't mean they should be a strong football team. Odd logic to have. 

Not a pop at Harry but I have never understood this mentality that higher population countries should have stronger teams. It's all about the football culture. 

Uruguay have a small population but a massive culture and passion to work. The percentage of interest in the sport is huge there and they have good development techniques and scouts unlike the USA. 

It makes Iceland's achievements more impressive as I'm pretty sure football isn't the most popular sport there.

It's certainly an advantage having more people to choose from. I think both teams should have done better considering they have a third of the worlds population between them 

• The topic was unpinned
15 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's certainly an advantage having more people to choose from. I think both teams should have done better considering they have a third of the worlds population between them 

Pretty much this. Money matters alot as does a few other things but statistically size of population base has a lot to do with it...

34 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Population size has no effect on success in football. Football tradition is the reason as to how successful you can be.

Of course it does.  You think brazil would have been as succesful if they didn't have so many people. It's not the only factor but it does affect it

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Of course it does.  You think brazil would have been as succesful if they didn't have so many people. It's not the only factor but it does affect it

Don't be ridiculous mate... Think again and do your research.  Brazil isn't the only country on earth that plays football.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Don't be ridiculous mate... Think again and do your research.  Brazil isn't the only country on earth that plays football.

So your saying that having more people isn't an advantage. You think Portugal Uruguay wouldn't have won more with more people? Or that Brazil would have won as much with as many people? It's not the only factor but it makes a difference.

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

So your saying that having more people isn't an advantage. You think Portugal Uruguay wouldn't have won more with more people? Or that Brazil would have won as much with as many people? It's not the only factor but it makes a difference.

Talk to me about Uruguay and then we can go on from form there...  We can then analyse other countries.

Your proof was in your initial question that this is not the case and that football tradition and culture is the overriding factor in it all.

13 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Talk to me about Uruguay and then we can go on from form there...  We can then analyse other countries.

Your proof was in your initial question that this is not the case and that football tradition and culture is the overriding factor in it all.

I know Uruguay have won 2 world cups before you mention it. I do agree with you that football culture and how the game is developed is more important. But having more people is always going to be an advantage. I never said it was the most important thing. 

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I know Uruguay have won 2 world cups before you mention it. I do agree with you that football culture and how the game is developed is more important. But having more people is always going to be an advantage. I never said it was the most important thing. 

I never said you said it was the most important thing. You were the one that cited me by quoting my post and... Well... Read what you said.

Population has very little relevance if any at all as strange as it may seem and logic would say that this should be an important factor but it just isn't. Football culture and tradition is the overriding factor in it all.  It's not complicated to understand to be honest.  I know that may sound arrogant to you but I can assure you it isn't. 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I never said you said it was the most important thing. You were the one that cited me by quoting my post and... Well... Read what you said.

Population has very little relevance if any at all as strange as it may seem and logic would say that this should be an important factor but it just isn't. Football culture and tradition is the overriding factor in it all.  It's not complicated to understand to be honest.  I know that may sound arrogant to you but I can assure you it isn't. 

I just said it was a factor which it cleary is. It's not the most important thing. But it will make a difference

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I just said it was a factor which it cleary is. It's not the most important thing. But it will make a difference

Really... You think it's a factor?

Ok then...

Bring up all the most populated nations on the planet and compare them to the most successful nations.

Honestly mate, you really are hard headed.  It's like you live on a different stratosphere to the rest of us and I hope I haven't offended you with that. Wow! 

Just have it your way... Oh yeah!  You're right Gunnersaurus!  Can't believe it... Look at the most populated nations and they really have done well in this sport.

Infact I would go as far as to say that population has very little relevance at all in any sport. Nits about priorities in each given country and then the culture surrounding said sport there.  Very little more than that.

But have it your way, I'm bored now.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Really... You think it's a factor?

Ok then...

Bring up all the most populated nations on the planet and compare them to the most successful nations.

Honestly mate, you really are hard headed.  It's like you live on a different stratosphere to the rest of us and I hope I haven't offended you with that. Wow! 

Just have it your way... Oh yeah!  You're right Gunnersaurus!  Can't believe it... Look at the most populated nations and they really have done well in this sport.

Infact I would go as far as to say that population has very little relevance at all in any sport. Nits about priorities in each given country and then the culture surrounding said sport there.  Very little more than that.

But have it your way, I'm bored now.

Ok Brazil Germany and Italy are the most successful at the workd cup. Brazil have the 5th biggest population in the world. Ahead of them are China who maybe should do better. India which is a cricket country. America need I say more and Indonesia who I have no idea about their sport heritage. If you look into Europe Germany have the biggest population followed by France and Italy. Mexico is a country with a big population that has actually done quite poorly I  think. 

At the other end you have san Marino and Andorra who love football but have very poor teams. You also have Iceland who are always given enormous credit for what they have achived. Why because they have a small population. Uruguay are always given massive credit for what they have achieved with only 4 million people. I'm pretty certain you are in the minority here most people think it is at least a factor. In fact it's common sense that having more people will give you an advantage 

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ok Brazil Germany and Italy are the most successful at the workd cup. Brazil have the 5th biggest population in the world. Ahead of them are China who maybe should do better. India which is a cricket country. America need I say more and Indonesia who I have no idea about their sport heritage. If you look into Europe Germany have the biggest population followed by France and Italy. Mexico is a country with a big population that has actually done quite poorly I  think. 

At the other end you have san Marino and Andorra who love football but have very poor teams. You also have Iceland who are always given enormous credit for what they have achived. Why because they have a small population. Uruguay are always given massive credit for what they have achieved with only 4 million people. I'm pretty certain you are in the minority here most people think it is at least a factor. In fact it's common sense that having more people will give you an advantage 

Anyone that's any good in San Marino or Andorra will either end up playing for Italy or Spain respectively.

Within that piece of research you done you forgot that while writing you ended up saying that the biggest nations on earth haven't done well because they haven't got a football tradition or culture.

You also have Holland, Croatia and even Iceland lately if you like, not just Uruguay.  France don't count because they have a pick from their own country and another comtinent... They have been playing another game compared to everyone else, it just goes unnoticed.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Anyone that's any good in San Marino or Andorra will either end up playing for Italy or Spain respectively.

Within that piece of research you done you forgot that while writing you ended up saying that the biggest nations on earth haven't done well because they haven't got a football tradition or culture.

You also have Holland, Croatia and even Iceland lately if you like, not just Uruguay.  France don't count because they have a pick from their own country and another comtinent... They have been playing another game compared to everyone else, it just goes unnoticed.

Mate I've just googled it. There is a world rankings done per capita which faroe island comes out on top with Iceland second. There are professors who write about these things. No one says its a deciding factor but clearly very educated people think it is a factor. If they didn't I wouldn't think it. Are you seriously saying that san Marino or andorra could won the world cup if they could keep their players?

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mate I've just googled it. There is a world rankings done per capita which faroe island comes out on top with Iceland second. There are professors who write about these things. No one says its a deciding factor but clearly very educated people think it is a factor.

A professor has come to the conclusion that the simplest and most logical answer is infact the answer? xD

Faroe Islands.... Hahaha... Honestly, I am really having a jolly night.  This is better than stand-up.

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

A professor has come to the conclusion that the simplest and most logical answer is infact the answer? xD

Faroe Islands.... Hahaha... Honestly, I am really having a jolly night.  This is better than stand-up.

So you seriously think that a team like san marino has an equal chance with a country like Brazil to produce a world cup winning squad if they keep their players ?

Archived