• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stockholm Terror Attack

football forum

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

not going to post them here but that picture of the little 11 year old girl torn in half is utterly disgusting. 

Who the fuck even feels the need to put those pictures up though? There's reporting the news and then there's that. I get that it's a horrible reality but surely some things just shouldn't be published? Maybe I'm on my own with his one.

Dig at the media by the way, not you.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Who the fuck even feels the need to put those pictures up though? There's reporting the news and then there's that. I get that it's a horrible reality but surely some things just shouldn't be published? Maybe I'm on my own with his one.

Shock factor, it's like the little kid dead on the beach. It's to provoke shock and a hopefully a reaction, visually it's much more emotive than a thousand column inches about the problem. That picture of a girl torn in half is probably the most shocking thing a lot of people have seen regarding Islamic terrorism but they need to see it, otherwise we'll keep burying our heads in the sand.  I know people think I go on and on but it's only because we need to do something about it, that's what 3 attacks in Europe within 10 days now? and they massacred 50 christians in Egypt overnight, the topic has increased because the volume of attacks has increased. As pointed out above Sweden is the most accommodating to Islam in Europe and look what's happening there, we do have a global problem. 

The Brit who died was a director at Spotify. 

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

For a lot of people it isn't 'real' until it is in their face. It feels like some abstraction in a far away land, only when confronted by the absolute brutality of it do they realise it's very rucking real.

People don't need to see it.

I don't need to see the bloody corpse of a rape and murder victim to know going down a dark ally is a risk.

I don't need to see a child in two to know what terrorists can do and the risk of Islamic extremism.

It's horrible but it's a bit like the pictures on fag packets of diseased lungs and stuff it's so much more emotive. Obviously it's not nice to see something so horrible but as I said above column inches aren't doing fuck all because our political overlords are still peddling this "it's a religion of peace" crap to avoid alienating that community by seriously tackling the problem. 

The stupid thing is an awful lot of the older Muslims who've been here years and lived under sharia abroad are probably our greatest allies because they appreciate the freedom western society offers them. People over 50 from Iran for example tend to be hugely secular, I know half a dozen and not one likes the way it's heading. Turkish Cypriots again likewise. If you talk to them they would say action needs taking more often than not, but we don't give them a platform. We prefer white apologists virtue signalling or younger eloquent hijab wearing women lashing out out secular parents with a rebellious gesture. I've met probably 20-30 real nutters in my time who did stupid shit like celebrate 9/11 and so on, virtually everyone was born and bred here but hugely resented it.  

Gruesome pictures can be helpful in the sense that they offer a harsh reality to contrast the empty platitudes of politicians. Political language is excessively euphemistic and vague (as pointed out by Orwell in his famous essay on political language) and you need to be excessively blunt to puncture through it. A slogan like "Keeping the world safe for freedom and democracy" loses its meaning when you contrast it with a picture of Vietnamese farmers killed with Agent Orange, and statements like "us white people are the problem" (as asserted by former leader of the Swedish social-democrats, Mona Sahlin) lose meaning when contrasted with an 11-year-old's mangled corpse on a pavement in Stockholm.

It isn't classy, in fact it is very ugly and tasteless. But maybe now Swedes can finally get it through their exceptionally thick skulls that sweeping the cultural problems and tensions in their country under the carpet has grave consequences.

Archived