talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why did Belgium suddenly get good?

football forum

Is this just a golden generation for Belgium? Or are they doing something different?  They have produced good teams before but never really kept it up? Are they here to stay now?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The golden generation has been around for quite some time. Everton fans may find it anything ranging from curious to incredible but it all changed with Roberto Martínez who found the key to how they can best function as a team. From there on we’re talking confidence. 

29 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Roberto Martinez has always been a great attacking manager, his defensive attitude to the game however let him down and was the reason he had to be sacked at Everton.

Yeah, he was very naive in the defensive side of his game. I also feel his style is more suited to international football where it’s one off games and a coach has an easier task to set out plans for individual teams. Plus most international sides are defensive or very set in discipline which mean attacking sides have more leverage to take risks. 

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's been around since about 2014. They hadn't qualified for a major tournament since 2002 before that I think 

Football isn't just played at tournaments.  Look at Belgium's stats pre and post Martínez.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Football isn't just played at tournaments.  Look at Belgium's stats pre and post Martínez.

What you smoking today mate? Belgium have produced significantly better players since 2013 onwards 

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

When was Roberto Martînez appointed head coach for Belgium?

Mate I think your missing the point. I'm pretty certain no one would deny Belgium started producing significantly better players in the last 5 years 

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mate I think your missing the point. I'm pretty certain no one would deny Belgium started producing significantly better players in the last 5 years 

What point exactly is the one that's supposedly flown over my head?

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

What point exactly is the one that's supposedly flown over my head?

My question was why have Belgium started producing top players. Before 2014 I dont think they had qualified for anything since 2002. So what has changed? It is simply a golden generation or are they doing something different to develop players better?

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

My question was why have Belgium started producing top players. Before 2014 I dont think they had qualified for anything since 2002. So what has changed? It is simply a golden generation or are they doing something different to develop players better?

They are producing top players because like every other decent nation in football they've gone through a cycle like everyone else.

I give up!

Talk about singular mono thinking, I'm not capable of expanding a debate within the boundaries.

Maybe one day the spaceship will return mate.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Luck of the draw. Same reason why Barcelona had ridiculous class of 87. There is no real explanation to it, just the certain chance people were born in the same place at the same time. 

Ah right so they haven't changed anything?

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ah right so I didn't say that?

Yeah I was just checking. It's not quite the same but I  remember years ago hearing that Luxembourg had bought in a training camp similar to St George. It goes under the radar a but but this is one of the best ever Luxembourg teams. And it isn't  a coincidence it is probably down to that. I think  @Harvskymight know a bit about it

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah I was just checking. It's not quite the same but I  remember years ago hearing that Luxembourg had bought in a training camp similar to St George. It goes under the radar a but but this is one of the best ever Luxembourg teams. And it isn't  a coincidence it is probably down to that.

There have been certain individuals born in the same period of time, with genetics predisposed to athleticism, in the right economic climate, with the right coaching, the right upbringing, the right everything for the perfect storm to happen. 

If it were as simple as changing the grassroots training and coaching then every player that Barcelona shat out would be at the standards of Pique, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, and co. There is no 'single' answer to this but a series of coincidences. There you go champ, spelt out for you.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

xDxDxD

Sorry, I genuinely am, but I haven't laughed so much in weeks as I have tonight. Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Need to stop smoking whatever it is you are smoking 

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

There have been certain individuals born in the same period of time, with genetics predisposed to athleticism, in the right economic climate, with the right coaching, the right upbringing, the right everything for the perfect storm to happen. 

If it were as simple as changing the grassroots training and coaching then every player that Barcelona shat out would be at the standards of Pique, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, and co. There is no 'single' answer to this but a series of coincidences. There you go champ, spelt out for you.

Yeah definitely those players are special. I think also Barcelona seem to be good at finding these players. But also grassroots will play a part. 

A mix of them having a reform of youth development which meant that clubs side coached and produced players in conjunction with how the national side wanted youth players to be coached and I believe an increase in immigration hence the likes of Lukaku, Fellaini, Witsel, Dembele etc.

Thats what I remember from watching an old documentary on them anyway.

Archived