talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why did Belgium suddenly get good?

football forum

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a lot more than just a case of getting lucky and having a few good players come through at the same time. 

I would have to find the article but I wouldn’t know where to start but I remember reading that the Belgium FA reformed the game there in the mid-2000’s, with things like small sided games for kids and smaller goals for longer before they jumped to an eleven-a-side game, a reformation of the league structure there and coaches being educated on how the Belgian FA wanted the game to be played, with a greater impotus on keeping the ball on the floor.

I don’t know what the barmoter for success is there and what the ultimate goal is, I imagine success for the national side over developing the standard of the league there, but a World Cup Semi-Final is testament to the work they’ve undertaken there. 

On topic,  I don't think its just a series of coincidents usually a golden generation has 4-5 really great players while the rest is good and there is one department which lacks depth on the bench. 

But i dont see that in Belgium, their bench is quite strong in every area.

59 minutes ago, Azeem said:

On topic,  I don't think its just a series of coincidents usually a golden generation has 4-5 really great players while the rest is good and there is one department which lacks depth on the bench. 

But i dont see that in Belgium, their bench is quite strong in every area.

Yeah like Croatia. They have two world class players and then some other top players but they don't have massive strenth in depth. Where  as Belgium have world class players and strength in depth.

Archived