talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are Germany Declining?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/10/2018 at 03:14, Gunnersauraus said:

I never get the whole we desearved to win. If you don't score you don't win. You might have been the bettwr team but football is about putting the ball in the net.

Being the better team is a better indicator of future success. 

• 1 month later...
One man holds the Spaniard responsible for Germany's fall from grace.

2018 has been a horrendous year for Germany, but their decline has been vivid for years now. Many reasons have been given for their drop in form, ranging from individual players to the manager's tactic, but one former player holds Pep Guardiola responsible.

That man is Hans-Peter Briegel, the retired 63-year-old defender who once donned the national team jersey. He blames an unlikely name for the European giant's fall from grace.

Since winning the 2014 World Cup, Germany has failed to rekindle the former that saw them lift the title in Brazil. In Euro 2016, they stumbled in the semi-finals where they lost to France but their biggest embarrassment came in 2018 as they crashed out of the World Cup in the group stage, finishing last behind even South Korea.

Things went from bad to worse for the four-time world champion, as their debut season in the UEFA Nations League saw them get relegated. Kroos and Co. will drop the League B after finishing behind the Netherlands and France in Group A.

And according to Briegel, a lot of their misfortunes stem from Pep's reign in Germany. The former defender feels the team's obsession for possession is their downfall and argues that the Spaniard is at fault for instilling this tactic with the national team players during his time as Bayern Munich manager.

"It is his (Guardiola's) fault, he cheated us by saying it was sufficient to win by having 75% of possession," Briegel said, as per Marca.

"It isn't the case, in football, the result is far more important than controlling the play. To have the ball is not sufficient in order to win, France gave a clear indication of that by winning the World Cup.

"You can even win by returning to a more traditional style of play, what is important is not the quality of the football but having equilibrium."

An impressive 3-0 win over Russia is too little too late for Low's men, as they will be plying their trade in League B next season. Nonetheless, Joachim opted for youth in that triumph and will be keen on rebuilding the team starting on Monday when they take on the Netherlands with the aim of salvaging some pride in their final Group A match.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Germany looked better in 2010 than 2014 in my honest opinion. 

The only really good performance 2014 was the one against Brazil.

2014 it was the mentality of guys like Schweinsteiger and Lahm that helped us win the title. Next to that we simply had the best bunch of players at that time. Löw was just lucky.

• Subscriber

I think Joachim Löw has had his time and it's time for him to go and get someone else in to steady the ship but I think they will bounce back, every great team has there highs and lows like Brazil, Argentina & Italy but they always bounce back under a new regime with new ideas, the Netherlands in the 70s with their 'Toal Football' were brilliant to me and its a shame they never won a World Cup as they had the players then that could do it.

I think we might see the Netherlands start producing again and playing not as near the 'Total Football' of the 70s but near enough and maybe reach a World Cup Final and win the ultimate prize in football, at the moment now we have France & Spain up there and the ones to beat, but football is a funny old game and I love it, these are my opinions only and others may differ.  

• Subscriber

BBvc5I4.img?h=40&w=138&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&

End of an era! When sporting dynasties come to a finish

Sam Brown          1 hour ago

As Netherlands Captain van Dijk volleyed home a cross to equalise in the 90th minute against Germany on Monday night, it put the final nail into the coffin for Die Mannschaft.

Joachim Löw’s team had been omitted from next summer’s UEFA Nations League finals, throwing away a two-goal lead in the last five minutes of the match.

When Germany won the World Cup in 2014, many pundits and fans alike began wondering just how good this team could be; young, talented, and with the world seemingly at their feet, there seemed to be no limit to what this side could accomplish.

Fast forward to 2018 however, and a humiliating group stage exit at the World Cup in Russia has now been followed by the failure to progress to the Nations League semi-finals.

Imagine for a moment, that Van Dijk’s volley was a seminal moment in the dialectical view of world football – a fallen dynasty.

We have identified more generational sports teams, and how their times of dominance came to a juddering halt.

1/11 SLIDES vv

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/end-of-an-era-when-sporting-dynasties-come-to-a-finish/ss-BBPUK9S?ocid=chromentp#image=1

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

International football in general is in decline, is there a single stand out side at the moment? Thought France were very middling for World Champions.

Erm...?

8wna9FX.png

2 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

BBvc5I4.img?h=40&w=138&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&

End of an era! When sporting dynasties come to a finish

Sam Brown          1 hour ago

As Netherlands Captain van Dijk volleyed home a cross to equalise in the 90th minute against Germany on Monday night, it put the final nail into the coffin for Die Mannschaft.

Joachim Löw’s team had been omitted from next summer’s UEFA Nations League finals, throwing away a two-goal lead in the last five minutes of the match.

When Germany won the World Cup in 2014, many pundits and fans alike began wondering just how good this team could be; young, talented, and with the world seemingly at their feet, there seemed to be no limit to what this side could accomplish.

Fast forward to 2018 however, and a humiliating group stage exit at the World Cup in Russia has now been followed by the failure to progress to the Nations League semi-finals.

Imagine for a moment, that Van Dijk’s volley was a seminal moment in the dialectical view of world football – a fallen dynasty.

We have identified more generational sports teams, and how their times of dominance came to a juddering halt.

1/11 SLIDES vv

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/end-of-an-era-when-sporting-dynasties-come-to-a-finish/ss-BBPUK9S?ocid=chromentp#image=1

I think the pressure got to our young players and they didn't perform like they did in the last few games. Germany also  got a bit lucky with their 2nd goal but had a few big chances to extend the lead and controlled most of the game,  the credit needs to go to our team for not letting our heads drop and have the desire to try and get something out of the game once we made it to 2-1 and restored some confidence.   The main problem with Germany is the management and the use of players,  they need a fresh set up again and stop calling on the old guard even players like Neuer should not be starting, he is still out of form from his long term injury.  Low is the problem not Germany on overall scale in football.  The only thing you notice more with Germany is that they are losing the true German spirit and some of the traits of the new generation from Turkish and African backgrounds are rubbing off in the team.  

Archived