talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should captains get enhanced penalties?

football forum

This happened in a university football match yesterday which was quite heated and physical, after the team who scored a goal all of its players invaded the pitch and stayed on it for too long the ref gave the captain a yellow card for that. Can one card the captain if they don't exercise control over their players ?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Nah, don't agree.

There's only so much control a captain can have over their players. Punishing the wrong player over something they (sometimes) have no control over is a bit backwards.

Sometimes players just get a red mist over them and go batshit crazy (Cantona against Palace is a good example). Would it have been fair for the captain to get punished for that? Obviously more high-profile and violent than the example above which begs the question - if this was brought in as a rule, what's the boundary for officials being able to punish a captain or not? Surrounding the referee (which I thought was outlawed anyway but still happens), subs coming on to the pitch, foul and abusive language, celebrating in front of opposition fans? They all come under being able to 'control' other players but going back to my first point - there's only so much a captain can do. 

That’s out of the hands of a captain for me. 

It’s not too dissimilar but a mass brawl doesn’t end in a yellow card for the captains for failing to control their players, it ends with the club’s being charged with failing to control their players and this should be the case with this incident, too. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, Harry said:

In melees sometimes the ref will just card a player from each side. In that situation it may as well be the captain if there is no better clarity as to the main instigators...

VAR will clear stuff like that up though. 

I actually support this in certain scenario's. I think players shouldn't be allowed to crowd the ref in the way they do. I think it should be the captain and the players involved who discuss it with the ref. I think if the captain doesn't control his players in that scenario giving him a yellow card would benefit football

Archived