talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

An Old-Time FIFA Run - Everton

football forum

Game 49: Everton 1-2 Man City (h) (04/05/2014)

Promes '45 (h)

Agüero '18, '37 (a)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Alcaraz, Jagielka, Oviedo, Mirallas, Osman, Bolasie, Thauvin, Promes, Lukaku.

The definitive loss in our season has arguably been that of top European football. I very much doubt we'd have succeeded there just now with the likes of Barcelona and Bayern our likely opponents and we're not strong enough to have a fighting chance of going right through to the end. An Agüero brace secured the win for our opponents and while Promes denied them a clean sheet we lost all the same. Osman was injured by Lewandowski and is out for the rest of the season. He very nearly had a perfect record. The captaincy goes over to Howard for the last two games.

Game 50: Everton 0-0 Man United (h) (07/05/2014)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Diawara, Alcaraz, Duffy, Mirallas, Gibson, Thauvin, Promes, Bolasie, Lukaku.

We're albeit finished for this season and find ourselves firmly stuck in sixth. Although not an awful start to the tenure by any means our failure to win any silverware is somewhat disappointing but sets a benchmark on which we can improve next season. United looked just as rugged as we do and didn't even field a striker. They didn't look threatening and just passed the ball around the middle for ninety minutes. We weren't much better but where we made a run they were quick to hunt us down. Also we're not going ahead with the Thauvin deal. In the few chances I've given him he's not really contributed to gameplay and is definitely not worth the millions he would cost.

Game 51: Hull 0-4 Everton (a) (11/05/2014)

Promes '6 (h) Solly '40, '79 (h) Bolasie '62 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Hibbert, Jagielka, Baines, Hills, Gibson, Bolasie, Promes, Solly, Lukaku.

Making his official club debut former academy player Nicholas Solly, a midfielder with great potential, managed to get onto the scoresheet twice with a pacy sprint down the centre of the pitch. Although beaten to his debut by Hills I feel Solly may go further from what little I've seen of the two. We saw our opponents back down to the Championship while asserting ourselves as a force to be reckoned with next season should everything start going into plan. This is just the first piece of the jigsaw.

------------------------------------------------------------

Our first season is now officially over. There's not much more to say. It's been a fairly long haul. We've had a fair to decent run. I'll do a full round-up of the campaign later including the winners of the main competitions. Keep watching. It shouldn't take too long.

Vellios is outright refusing to sign a new contract deal unless he becomes a crucial first team player. I don't see him in that way right now and feel we can bring players up from the academy of the same quality or better. As Solly proved in the final game against Hull the academy is key in the future of the club. I hope to adopt a few new names into the squad roster over the course of next season. In say five years time I'd expect most of our players to be academy graduates should they reach the excellent standard of our two featured prospects.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

slide%20Everton%203.jpg

2013/2014 Season

Premier League: 6th

MANCHESTER CITY

FA Cup: Quarter Finals

TOTTENHAM

League Cup: Semi Finals

ARSENAL

Europa League: Not Applicable

BORUSSIA DORTMUND

Champions League: Not Applicable

BARCELONA

This season can only be described as difficult. Early setbacks to the defence restricted us whilst we were plagued with some piss-poor decisions that ultimately cost us our chances of success. The horrendous performances of Yaya Banana and later Victor Anichebe cost us vital points and accolades. Own goals seemed to be our forte with nearly ten being scored when every single game we played is taken into account. That's an appaling figure considering a couple of the players who gave them away scored less goals for us. It was also the highest in the league ahead of Hull who netted six. It's still terrible that it even happened. Results like losses to Sunderland and Newcastle were embarassing considering how much they have struggled to keep going whilst draws against mid-table teams like Swansea again rubbed salt into the wounds of our depleting squad. To improve we need more options across all areas of the field. The academy aside some more experience is needed to bring us up to speed. Early on in the season when the top half was clustered we sat in the top four for a couple of months without challenge. We played straight no-nonsense football and got the results we needed. As for what went well... we made spectacular signings in the form of Bolasie and Lukaku with honorable mentions to Meyer and Promes. Souleymane Diawara also put in a good few showstopper performances before bowing out. He should still be with us next season but has the option to retire should he wish. Our performances were widely consistent and even though we exited the domestic trophies we still went far and had good runs. We'll push for one better next season. No more nonsense next time around: more funds are needed and hopefully the board can help us to inject some solid cash into strengthening all over. I'll be sure to set solid goals in all competitions. Although we don't neccesarily need to win everything we should really push to get as high as we possible can.

Until then... to the second season. Hopefully we can find some sort of solidarity there.

The 2014/2015 season is looming and the team is looking amazing. With the arrival of Samuel Eto'o from Chelsea on a free for a three-year contract the team is already looking better and with more new faces set to appear we can move on from the woes of the first season and absolutely dominate our opponents. Carlo Cudicini and Sylvian Distin both retired at the end of last season and Apostolos Vellios decided to move on. Souleymane Diawara also decided to call it a day which is a shame as there were plans for him to feature more this season. In light of this we secured the signature of former Arsenal stalwart Manuel Almunia on a season-long loan before he too goes into retirement. Our formation remains unchanged from the 4-3-2-1 we used when we finished the last campaign until the transfer window is over in order to adapt to our newest signings when they come in.

Potential signings so far include Obafemi Martins who we missed out on just at the end of the last January window, Schalke's Leon Goretzka who earned a mentioned when Meyer was signed back in January, Davy Klaassen of Ajax, Daniele Rugani of Juventus and the clinical well-balanced Lille striker Nolan Roux. It's still early days and as things progress clearer judgements will emerge. The only player so far attracting noticeable interest has been Phil Jagielka from the persistent West Brom. Their offers are steadily increasing each time and they're also eyeing up John Heitinga as are Real Sociedad.

Four new academy players have arrived in the first team. Each has featured at least once. Eyes on goalkeeper Matthew Holness who I mentioned last season as very promising and a potential successor to Howard, the swift Dutch centre-man Menno Hersi with a killer touch as I found out in his friendly fixture, all-round midfielder Aaron Morris and a striker in Steven Grimes. Hopefully some defenders will start seeping through the cracks as the season goes on. As for now the season awaits with a tricky start at White Hart Lane. The friendly fixtures were very successful and put us in very good stead for a very good season. Hopefully silverware is on the cards.

Game 52: Borussia Dortmund 1-1 Everton (a) (27/07/2014)

Meyer '78 (h)

Sokratis '43 (a)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Hibbert, Duffy, Baines, Mirallas, Morris, Hills, Meyer, Promes, Lukaku.

A remarkable draw full of twists and turns. Despite the rather bland scoreline so much happened. Quincy Promes has picked up a nasty ACL injury which has put him out for at least six months following a slide tackle from Sokratis. The defender later went on to score against us in a well-fought battle with Hibbert and Duffy. A couple of dodgy fouls worked in our favour as Meyer slotted in a free-kick from outside the penalty area. There were too many chances from both sides and any of them could have found the net. Some excellent goalkeeper from Tim Howard should raise the eyes of many clubs in the league. If he keeps that up there's no way he'll drop. I have a horrible feeling he might he in his last season as he's questioning it. Man of the match was Duffy, his solidarity in the defence and meaty yet clean tackling style admirable. A thrilling fixture against the Europa League champions.

Game 53: Everton 4-0 Sochaux (h) (31/07/2014)

Solly '16 (h) Bolasie '38 (h) Grimes '70 (pen, h) Barkley '90 (h)

Team: Almunia, Coleman, Oviedo, Duffy, Stones, Mirallas, Gibson, Bolasie, Barkley, Solly, Grimes.

The team we signed Banana splat from just under a year ago were about up to his standard. A quick glance at the table shows they were outright relegated from their league last season. They played football like amateurs and the scoreline doesn't do that justice. A volley from Solly bounded over the keeper and subsequent efforts by Bolasie and Barkley bombed straight down the middle. The academy graduate Steven Grimes netted a penalty after being fouled badly by two of their players at once. Stones looked good following his return from his loan spell at Millwall. It's a shame we didn't get to see this last season as we'd have been saved and a million or so better off. All in all this was a sound victory but one we'll forget pretty quickly.

Game 54: Atlético Madrid 2-3 Everton (a) (04/08/2014)

Hersi '6, '27 (h) Eto'o '57 (h)

Koke '33 (a) Gabi '45 (a)

Team: Holness, Hibbert, Heitinga, Jagielka, Oviedo, Naismith, Osman, Gueye, Hersi, Barkley, Eto'o.

An unexpected victory which solidified my belief in nearly all of the players in this Everton team. Menno Hersi could well be the equivalent of the future Lionel Messi. He made some killer touches and maintained his high work-rate throughout, assisting the veteran Eto'o in turning a draw into a win. Magaye Gueye also shone alongside the older Osman and Naismith and looked and felt a league above them. Atléti scored some brilliant goals which deserve a mention If anything this game somewhat fulfilled my prophercy that the youth of Everton and its academy are the way forth in paving success.

Three games into the league we sit in second place. Although this doesn't put anything into perspective at this early stage it gives us an incentive to push. We've also yet to concede a single goal which is better than any other team in the league. Only the current champions Man City sit above us on goal difference. Our first defender from the academy, the Mexican centre-back Antonio Fuentes, has been promoted and featured in our thrashing if Wisła Kraków. We just missed out on signing a Belgian keeper by the name of Senne Demos to the academy to Real Madrid. He had huge potential and could be one of the future stars in Europe. Our academy keeper Holness is growing steadily and could still go out on loan. We've had very little interest in him so far which is a shame. Interest is hotting up in Tim Howard from all corners of the world and now the Koreans want him but we're resiliant and need him more. New signings to feature so far have been Manuel Almunia and Nolan Roux. We're still mid-way through three negotiations and hopefully they'll be secured by the end of deadline day. There shall be a full low-down of the transfer window very soon.

Game 55: Everton 1-0 Chelsea (h) (16/08/2014)

Roux '73 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Heitinga, Stones, Baines, Mirallas, Osman, Hills, Solly, Bolasie, Roux.

Our first victory of the season showed just how strong we could become. Despite scoring once we dominated, the defence led by Coleman pushing Chelsea back constantly whilst Howard was indomitable when they slipped a chance through. Chelsea didn't look weak by any means but our team looked fresh and very much the strong team. To compare the many millions Chelsea spent in this window on Sergio Ramos and Neymar to a team which give or take a couple of players was fully inherited or home-grown in the past year wouldn't be unfair. You can't buy wins.

Game 56: Everton 6-0 Wisła Kraków (h) (21/08/2014) (Europa League Final Qualifying Round First Leg)

Lukaku '26, '34, '82 (h) Promes '54 (h) Duffy '67 (h) Solly '79 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Duffy, Oviedo, Baines, Naismith, Hills, Solly, Promes, Meyer, Lukaku.

The scoreline doesn't put into perspective how difficult our opponents were to take down. Wisła fought valiantly but in the process took out Lukaku who goes out for a month with a torn hip flexor. The goals came thick and fast with Solly further cementing himself as a reliable option to turn to. Quincy Promes has been the target of numerous other clubs in the past month and was questionable when compared to Meyer despite getting his name on the scoresheet through a rebound of a Lukaku shot. Other than being a more direct route to solidify our place in the Europa League competition this was more like a friendly. We still have another game to play against them in Poland so that shall be treated similarly.

Game 57: Brighton 0-3 Everton (a) (24/08/2014)

Roux '39 (h) Hersi '47 (pen, h) Osman '69 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Hibbert, Stones, Baines, Osman, Hills, Hersi, Promes, Roux, Eto'o.

The newly-promoted Brighton have adjusted so little since their arrival just a few months ago. It showed, especially in their defence. Their only solace was in Phil Bardsley who put in a frankly poor performance for them, conceeding the second goal and getting sent off later on in the game. Hersi once again proved his talent and ability to convert. I still believe that given the right attitude and if played appropriately he could soon be on the radar of greatness. Roux has so far proven to have been a valuable investment and could well give hat-trick hero Lukaku a run for his money in the long-run. A secure win which puts us in a good place at this very early stage.

Game 58: Wisła Krakow 0-2 Everton (a) (28/08/2014) (Europa League Final Qualifying Round Second Leg)

Mirallas '3 (h) Meyer '50 (h)

Team: Almunia, Hibbert, Fuentes, Oviedo, Stones, Mirallas, Osman, Morris, Promes, Meyer, Grimes.

More of a testimonial to our huge win at home. Other than the early break via Mirallas and a free kick from Meyer there really isn't anything more to add.

Game 59: Everton 1-0 Arsenal (h) (30/08/2014)

Stones '81 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Duffy, Stones, Baines, Osman, Gibson, Bolasie, Solly, Roux, Eto'o.

A beautiful victory for us against a team I grew to dislike last season based on how many matches we had to grind to get draws against them. I don't know what Millwall did to John Stones but whatever it was must have shook him as he's on point. Always a keen eye in the box where corners are concerned a ball from Solly met his head and slipped through the gloves of Szczęsny. An interesting observation was the lack of Marouane Fellaini who appears to have been sold on. A quick search of the transfer market shows he's gone off to Juventus. Gibson has picked up a broken arm and is unavailable for over two months whilst Baines has a torn groin and needs a couple of weeks on the bench to recover. An easier match than that at Chelsea and Brighton but in terms of pushing forward we found it difficult to get anyone other than Eto'o and Roux through without a challenge.

The transfer window has proved to be an absolute whirlwind. I'll address it in a separate post shortly.

17 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Why did I read all of this...

You read it because it's a ballache to type. ;)

I smiled at that. I honestly do appreciate it. I'm a busy person with a lot to do at all times and although this is on the sidelines I've put a lot of effort into ensuring it's of a good quality. As with everything I plan on doing in life if it proves to have even the slightest impact on another person then I've done well.

Stoke are in twentieth at this stage. They have no points and lost quite badly to Sunderland. :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Cure said:

You read it because it's a ballache to type. ;)

I smiled at that. I honestly do appreciate it. I'm a busy person with a lot to do at all times and although this is on the sidelines I've put a lot of effort into ensuring it's of a good quality. As with everything I plan on doing in life if it proves to have even the slightest impact on another person then I've done well.

Stoke are in twentieth at this stage. They have no points and lost quite badly to Sunderland. :ph34r:

OH THAT'S JUST GREAT! AWESOME! STUPENDOUS!!!! How though? That was the year we had brought in Arnie and had Assaidi? Plus Bego and N'Zonzi were in form?!?! ugh

I demand you pick up Arnie, Bego, and N'Zonzi if they go down...

17 minutes ago, Dickie said:

OH THAT'S JUST GREAT! AWESOME! STUPENDOUS!!!! How though? That was the year we had brought in Arnie and had Assaidi? Plus Bego and N'Zonzi were in form?!?! ugh

I demand you pick up Arnie, Bego, and N'Zonzi if they go down...

I hate to tell you but I've just looked on the transfer list. It's deadline day now. You sold Begović on to Lazio in this window and Arnautović to Valencia. Hate to break this too but N'Zonzi left last season to West Brom. You don't even have Jack Butland anymore as you sold him on in this window to Newcastle. Hope you like your recently acquired Paul Robinson being between the sticks.

When we finish this campaign I'll put the finishing positions of every team up for all to see.

2 minutes ago, Panflute said:

FIFA 14 old-time? FIFA 99 is old-time!

Very true but in terms of what I can access right now and relative to where we are now at the boundary of entering the 2017/18 season four years difference is quite significant. Next two posts being transferred in the next five minutes.

The gavel is down. Damn. He slipped through our fingers again.

A few fresh faces entered the team and a good few more left us. The Sounders were persistent and wouldn't let Martins leave, only agreeing on our transfer fee in the final hour of deadline day. Regardless of this we've got a very strong set of strikers and with them no doubt likely to leave over the next few seasons we should be able to incorporate upcoming academy strikers like Steven Grimes into the position to play week-in week-out. Midfield is full of options and we're going to relax on recruiting more in that area from other clubs. With the amount of young players we have there it's time to start training them up into a force to be reckoned with. Interest in Banana was slow but eventually Watford came forward and we flogged him straight away. Jagielka went away to West Brom only after we bumped up the price by a couple of million and Heitinga followed suit but to Spain. We've brought Pogba in to bridge the rift on a season-long deal in case he doesn't work having been let down by Banana when he came in from France last year. The French were keen on Quincy Promes and he nearly went to Lille in part-exchange for Roux before more funds came available from the sale of Koné to Die Roten, a team struggling to find form in the Bundesliga. Anichebe went on deadline day for a discount price to the Belgian champions Anderlecht: we don't need him and he won't get any playing time. 

No other players brought in much interest aside from Tim Howard who has just announced his intention to retire at the end of this season. I'll look towards strengthening Holness or whoever else from the academy to avoid more costs for a quality keeper.

In general this window was relatively successful. We still have one big name on our list of targets but I'll watch how he plays for Tottenham before going in for him come January.

IN

Florentin Pogba (Saint-Étienne - £1.5m) Another option to bolster our defensive options and also the brother of Paul who still resides at Juve.

Leon Goretzka (Schalke - £8.5m) I mentioned this player last year and should he not find his feet here I'm aware a certain Barcelona were looking into securing him.

Manuel Almunia (Watford - Free) A back-up in case of injury to Howard in a similar vein to Cudicini.

Nolan Roux (Lille - £7.2m) Lit up Ligue 1 last season scoring in excess of 20 goals with a few assists on the side. A bargain if he can consistently do that for us.

OUT

Arouna Koné (Hannover 96 - £3.2m) A reputable striker but we have so many options he'd fall down the pecking order when he deserves constant first-team football.

Francisco Júnior (Real Valladolid - £300k) Nothing to add here. Took long enough to clear.

Joel (Granada - £1m) Surplus to requirements.

John Heitinga (Celta Vigo - £9m) Despite being very good his injury-prone nature coupled with the ludicrous bid resulted in Heitinga switching to the Celtiñas.

Phil Jagielka (West Brom - £5.5m) They tried and tried for months on end and they've finally secured him for what I feel was the right price.

Victor Anichebe (Anderlecht - 2.2m) They can have him.

Yaya Banana (Watford - £900k) Dreadful. Despite the name I'm glad to see the back of him. No doubt our paths will cross again given Watford are in the same league as us.

The irony of Banana playing for a team in yellowxD

It's great isn't it. Unfortunately it's just a coincidence this time around. His previous club Sochaux also played in yellow. Our away kit last season was predominantly yellow. It was just meant to be.

Everton+14+15+crest+h.jpg

Everton FC

Squad Roster

1st September 2014

Goalkeepers

Manuel Almunia

Matthew Holness (ac)

Tim Howard

Defenders

Leighton Baines

Séamus Coleman

Shane Duffy

Antonio Fuentes (ac)

Tony Hibbert

Brian Oviedo

Florentin Pogba

John Stones

Midfielders

Ross Barkley

Darren Gibson

Leon Goretzka

Magaye Gueye

Menno Hersi (ac)

Harrison Hills (ac)

Maximilian Meyer

Kevin Mirallas

Aaron Morris (ac)

Steven Naismith

Leon Osman (C)

Quincy Promes

Nicolas Solly (ac)

Strikers

Yannick Bolasie

Samuel Eto'o

Steven Grimes (ac)

Romelu Lukaku

Nolan Roux

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

We Shall Not Be Moved

We can easily operate with three at the back and we need to take on two strikers to increase our chances of scoring. Therefore the best formation is 3-1-4-2 and we'll probably use it for the rest of the season depending on how well we perform when using it.

Howard

Coleman      -      Hibbert      -      Fuentes

Osman

Solly                           -                           Bolasie

Hersi                  -                  Roux

Lukaku         -         Eto'o

Our new players have integrated themselves seamlessly into my plans for the club. We're playing fluid football centred around a strong core in midfield with attackers pushing deep and the defence moving to break down play amongst the opposition. Our results proved our strength as so far this season we haven't conceded in the league once. We're at the top of the table for the first time but I feel we'll let it slip soon. Tottenham are only just behind us on goal difference and the Manchester clubs are bound to pounce on us sooner rather than later. Chelsea have got off to a start filled with draws so are quite far out and Arsenal aren't even threatening to the Championship teams having shipped out Cazorla and Walcott at discount prices.

With regards to the Europa League our group has been revealed. In our group, Group A, we're set to face Lech Poznań, Brøndby and Feyenoord. We risked coming up against the likes of Napoli (B), Panathinaikos (C), Inter (D), Seville, (D), Bayer Leverkusen (G), Monaco (H), Villarreal (K) and Porto (L). In all we escaped with an easier group and should finish at the top. How far we can go in this competition remains to be seen. I'd hope for a place in the quarter finals if we put ourselves to it.

Game 60: Everton 3-0 Arsenal (h) (02/09/2014) (League Cup Second Round)

Roux '31, '48 (h) Grimes '65 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Oviedo, Baines, Osman, Mirallas, Solly, Hersi, Meyer, Roux, Bolasie.

Knocking out the team who denied us not one but two pieces of silverware last season was very satisfying. Roux has proven to be a true catalyst when it comes to finishing, securing his brace in less than twenty minutes. Baines received a straight red card for taking out Mertesacker so badly that he's now out for the whole season. Whilst being strong in defence is an objective it doesn't warrant that sort of dirty action. I can't take blame as the tackle didn't come directly from my control. Aside from this mishap this was a very satisfying win.

Game 61: Fulham 0-2 Everton (a) (13/09/2014)

Hersi '18 (h) Coleman '67 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Pogba, Stones, Osman, Hills, Morris, Goretzka, Bolasie, Roux, Grimes.

Fulham have struggled to find their football in the league so far this season. With Vellios no longer performing for them their alternative attacking option in Rodalegga is in equally shoddy form. Hersi volleyed a ball delivered from Goretzka to further cement himself as a crucial player whilst Coleman formed an unlikely partnership with Grimes to double our lead.

Game 62: Everton 2-0 Lech Poznań (h) (18/09/2014) (Europa League Group A)

Roux '2 (h) Gibson '75 (h)

Team: Holness, Coleman, Stones, Baines, Osman, Hills, Bolasie, Hersi, Meyer, Roux, Eto'o.

Our first meaningful attempt at European football was an indicator of good things to come. Although the goals were nothing remarkable we remained as fluid as ever. Nothing more to add.

Game 63: Everton 1-0 Sunderland (h) (20/09/2014)

Bolasie '88 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Duffy, Baines, Osman, Mirallas, Bolasie, Goretzka, Hersi, Roux, Eto'o.

The Black Cats were almost invisible in this tight but solid victory. Roux is proving to have been a sterling addition to the team and his work-rate is on the next level. Coupled with the experienced Eto'o we had so many chances but in the end only one came to fruition. Yannick Bolasie curled the ball in on the finesse, sinking an unprepared Storari and baffling the surrounding defenders. Five out of five.

Things are really hotting up at the front. With Lukaku returning from his injury the tension with Roux is intense with both cordoning the box and descending on the ball like vultures to prey. Samuel Eto'o is also making his mark. It's a stroke of luck that Roux can also play as an attacking midfielder. Unfortunately this has limited the amount of playing time our attacking midfielders can get on the pitch with Promes, Meyer, Barkley, Goretzka and Hersi fighting it out to claim the one remaining spot. I feel that if this continues we may have to consider either loaning a couple out or seeing one go in the next window. Elsewhere Leighton Baines has started to complain that he wasn't sold in the last window despite not handing in a request. He's also complaining over an apparent lack of game time which is funny considering he's featured repeatedly so far in this campaign. Tim Howard has been laid to rest to give rise to Holness who looked solid when we played a friendly against Atléti in August. He could well be our next keeper given the performances he gave for us in the last two matches.

An update from the academy. A talent scout was sent across England to find defenders to bring into the team. Having received our first update from him the featured players are looking fairly good so far. One stood out, not for his ability but for his name. That name must be the best thing I've seen on here so far. You thought Yaya Banana was good... a six-foot five defender called Alexander Apple. I've signed him on and when he comes of age in a couple of months you know he's making an appearance in our game against Watford. Cult hero in the making.

Game 64: Everton 3-0 Hull (h) (23/09/2014) (League Cup Third Round)

Goretzka '78 (pen, h) Roux '81 (h) Solly '85 (h)

Team: Holness, Coleman, Fuentes, Baines, Osman, Solly, Bolasie, Goretzka, Roux, Eto'o, Lukaku.

Although not the most difficult cup tie on paper Hull certainly pushed us. Leon Osman was our rock and with him at the centre of the team we're at least certain of a good game. The defence was strong and managed to push Hull back into their own half whenever they looked threatening with Roux shifting back to clear the balls up to Lukaku. A foul by Lescott gave us the opportunity to convert and we did so gracefully. Shortly after a clean break from Roux gave us more ground before Solly proved why he's one of the hottest prospects going with a simple ground ball into the net. The next round should be simple as we're against the lowest seeded team, namely Accrington.

Game 65: Norwich 0-7 Everton (a) (28/09/2014)

Lukaku '13 (h) Hersi '34, '66 (h) Osman '45 (h) Barkley '58 (h) Roux '79 (h) Oviedo '90 (h)

Team: Holness, Coleman, Hibbert, Oviedo, Osman, Gibson, Bolasie, Barkley, Hersi, Roux, Lukaku.

A team who battered us at the start of last season were absolutely battered this time around in our biggest win to date. Lukaku opened scoring after sending Shay Given the wrong way before a flurry of goals fuelled by drives down the flanks and more tiki-taka-style gameplay. A long match report is deserved but can't be prepared just now due to time constraints.

So far we have been on point in everything we do. We're yet to concede to any team regardless of the competition. Our defenders have been very solid although Pogba seems to be struggling to adapt to the pace of our gameplay. Roux is a man on a mission as is Lukaku and both are currently keeping Eto'o away from a regular place in our team. A shame but to disrupt such amazing form at this point could end badly. As always the midfielder is holding up very nicely and we're quite literally spoilt for choice there. We have some exciting fixtures coming up and hopefully out form can continue through them.

Game 66: Brøndby 0-2 Everton (a) (02/10/2014) (Europa League Group A)

Lukaku '41 (h) Hersi '74 (h)

Team: Holness, Coleman, Duffy, Stones, Osman, Mirallas, Hills, Solly, Hersi, Grimes, Lukaku.

Our strongest tie in Europe so far and a thoroughly deserved win for us. Brøndby seem to have adopted a lot of young players and a quick search shows this: many are very young. Our mingling of experience with our youth is paying off although the same can't be said for our opponents who looked out of place and lost. Lukaku and Hersi are like partners in crime whenever they appear together with both setting up one another with their goals. Séamus Coleman is really stepping up to the mark following the fiasco over his place last season but those with deals coming to a close are looking a little wary. Worrying.

Game 67: Everton 2-0 Tottenham (h) (04/10/2014)

Coleman '18 (h) Roux '56 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Duffy, Baines, Osman, Meyer, Goretzka, Promes, Roux, Eto'o, Lukaku.

Comfortable would be pushing this one. We were threatened constantly by the whole Spurs team and surprisingly they didn't manage to get one past us. Again Coleman seemed to be a man on a mission and has improved massively from last season. Roux continues to push and shows no signs of slowing down. Goretzka has been the unsung hero of this season so far and it's a real shame he can't fulfil more roles than that of an attacking midfielder. Yet another solid victory.

Game 68: West Ham 0-0 Everton (a) (07/10/2014)

Team: Almunia, Coleman, Pogba, Baines, Osman, Mirallas, Gibson, Goretzka, Promes, Roux, Lukaku.

A surprisingly frantic scramble against a team whose form is currently the worst the league. This was pretty embarassing and despite their weak defence we failed to push through. Should have been a relatively simple win but at least it wasn't a loss. The less said about this one the better.

Game 69: Everton 3-0 Feyenoord (h) (16/10/2014) (Europa League Group A)

Barkley '23 (h) Osman '35 (h) Eto'o '69 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Oviedo, Baines, Osman, Gueye, Bolasie, Hersi, Barkley, Roux, Eto'o.

Our closest competition within our group were no match for us and all but secured out place in the next round unless a major mishap rears its head. Toornstra and Hersi battled it out through the game, stealing possession from one-another constsntly until a slide from Baines took him out. He's turning into a violent tackler with aggression taking over in his defending. After Barkley and Osman scored and victory seemed certain the match simmered down into nothing.

Game 70: Everton 4-0 West Brom (h) (19/10/2014)

Lukaku '8 (h) Roux '16, '20, '26 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Pogba, Fuentes, Osman, Mirallas, Bolasie, Hersi, Goretzka, Roux, Lukaku.

With Jagielka at the heart of the West Brom defence a more difficult match had been anticipated. Despite his incompetence at times last season he was always reliable and could be depended upon. This wasn't the case here. An early Lukaku goal was conceded by our former man motivating the team to push more and resulting in a spectacular hat-trick from Roux. He was an absolute steal and much better than I'm anticipated. With the league's top scorer in our ranks with nine goals in so few games we should be unstoppable. I expect quite a lot of bids to prise him away from us soon.

Game 71: Swansea 0-2 Everton (a) (23/10/2014)

Roux '13, '40 (h)

Team: Almunia, Hibbert, Pogba, Baines, Osman, Gueye, Gibson, Hersi, Barkley, Roux, Lukaku.

Absolutely outstanding performances from the front of the field. Strong passes and a tactical approach on goalscoring has allowed us to flourish as a collective unit. Although Roux was the only goalscorer with a brace the amount of effort from the other players is overshadowed. All of them are worthy of credit. My critisms in this game in particular lie with the defence. Swansea had multiple breaks through. Pogba didn't work well with the rest of the team and Baines looks more and more disgraceful as each game progresses. The rest of the team works well but the defence needs to be rejuvenated with the other players we have.

Apologies for the lack of activity recently. Been doing other things so progress here has been slower than before. Without further mention here are the remaining games from October.

Game 72: Man City 1-1 Everton (a) (25/10/2014)

Fuentes '78 (h)

Rooney '55 (a)

Team: Howard, Duffy, Fuentes, Stones, Osman, Mirallas, Bolasie, Meyer, Promes, Roux, Lukaku.

After an unbelievable sixteen-game run without conceding we let go in an entertaining draw against the team below us. Their marquee signing of the summer, traitor Wayne Rooney, opened scoring with a little tap past Howard before celebrating like a twat. Luckily a curved ball shot up the pitch following a dodgy free-kick from the aforementioned traitor surprisingly met Fuentes half way up the pitch and following a nice little sprint he finished to equalise. We can't push away this draw as nothing. It was well fought and it's just a shame to see our position broken. We still sit at the top of the table.

Game 73: Accrington 2-3 Everton (a) (28/10/2014) (League Cup Round Of 16)

Hersi '11 (pen, h) Roux '45 (h) Hills '62 (h)

Hatfield '64 (a) Winnard '90 (a)

Team: Howard, Fuentes, Oviedo, Duffy, Osman, Morris, Hills, Promes, Hersi, Grimes, Eto'o.

Accrington Stanley, who are they? A pushy team is what they are. Having received a shock promotion to the third-tier last season they've been pushing from strength to strength. We moved ahead through a clean-cut penalty from starlet Menno Hersi before later goals from the machine Roux and Hills all but secured our place in the quarter finals. To our surprise they pushed back and given more time could have potentially taken us to a draw and a replay. A lucky win. We're fortunate to have been a strong team or this could quite easily have been game over.

An update from the academy. I've trickled players in for a while but now it's time to introduce the big players with insane potential and unbelievable stats. Zabedeo Zaccone is an attacking midfielder both in name and nature. He's strong and technically gifted according to the reports and was nearly reeled in by Inter before we leapt it. Another new midfielder from Norway called Magnus Jensen has been shining in the academy and could give our current players a run for their money. Dante Noboa, a Spanish striker, should have a similar impact to Roux in the future if he's nurtured properly. Also making a step up from the academy is Harry Manning who adds to our defensive options. Perhaps the most exciting academy graduate so far, the French goalkeeper Gabriel Savoie, can not only play in right back for some strange reason but has the potential to exceed the likes of Neuer and Casillas. Finally the defender mentioned in the previous academy update, the aptly named Alexander Apple, has been signed on. That's six more options in a team already full to the brim with young players. A clear-out in January is necessary be it through loan spells at other clubs or transfers. A few names are already on the cards and they could bring in a nice nest egg for windows to come.

We sit firmly at the top of the Premier League table. Unless our form slips and we accumulate a few losses we should expect a major triumph in the league. We played a few particularly good fixtures with no major upsets. We've only conceded once so far and if we keep it up we might set a record. I can't think of any other team who have been this low on goal difference at this stage in a top flight season.

Game 74: Everton 1-0 Southampton (h) (02/11/2014)

Zaccone '5 (h)

Team: Savoie, Coleman, Manning, Stones, Osman, Mirallas, Bolasie, Goretzka, Zaccone, Lukaku, Noboa.

An unremarkable win but a win nonetheless. Zaccone scored a goal on his professional debut to secure the three points, his volley flying over a helpless Artur Boruc in the early minutes. An out of character performance by Osman saw him sent off for an aggressive tackle one one of our players no less. He's taken out Lukaku for two months.

Game 75: Lech Poznań 0-2 Everton (a) (06/11/2014) (Europa League Group A)

Promes '23 (h) Mirallas '72 (h)

Team: Howard, Coleman, Hibbert, Baines, Osman, Mirallas, Gibson, Meyer, Promes, Roux, Bolasie.

Our place in the Round of 32 is secure. Lech were easy to overcome and played shoddier football than any other team in our group. A routine victory yet bland in context with the two goals by Promes and Mirallas being the only notable mentions in yet another forgettable European fixture.

Game 76: Watford 0-4 Everton (a) (08/11/2014)

Roux '19, '63 (h) Barkley '40 (pen, h) Bolasie '88 (pen, h)

Team: Savoie, Coleman, Apple, Fuentes, Osman, Hills, Solly, Barkley, Roux, Eto'o, Bolasie.

No way have Watford pulled that off. Rod Fanni and Yaya Banana in defence coupled with the almighty Danny Shittu. Formidable defenders. Hearing the commentator say their names was a joy. Watford played like shittu without threatening us at all. No shots on target on their part. Two penalty chances were converted with ease by Barkley and Bolasie respectively whilst two free kicks from far-out were converted spectacularly by our star striker Nolan Roux. It's satisfying to see us winning like this. Our lead at the top is constantly extending now.

Game 77: Everton 0-0 Newcastle (h) (12/11/2014)

Team: Holness, Coleman, Duffy, Baines, Osman, Solly, Bolasie, Promes, Roux, Eto'o, Grimes.

Goalless draws tell us one of two things; we either worked hard to keep it level against a difficult opponent or couldn't break through. In this case it was a combination of the two. Grimes was shockingly bad compared to Eto'o and evidently lacks the experience on goal, his shots missing by miles. Baines has turned from reliable to plain aggresive, first taking out Tim Krul and then Shola Ameobi following which we were brought down to ten men when we really needed the full team. He's getting one more chance to change. Other than that there were no standout performances nor players.

Game 78: Everton 3-0 Aston Villa (a) (22/11/2014)

Eto'o '31 (h) Hersi '77 (h) Osman '80 (h)

Team: Howard, Oviedo, Pogba, Duffy, Osman, Morris, Bolasie, Zaccone, Hersi, Roux, Eto'o.

To be expected. A very routine win with surprisngly little to write home about aside from a huge injury. Hersi was brought down by Hutton and suffered from a broken leg ruling him out for the rest of the season. Hopefully this doesn't prove too damaging to his progress as Menno is one of the brightest young prospects at the team and this could set his career far back.

Game 79: Everton 3-0 Leeds (h) (29/11/2014)

Zaccone '35 (h) Promes '46 (h) Roux '90 (h)

Team: Howard, Manning, Stones, Baines, Osman, Mirallas, Bolasie, Zaccone, Promes, Roux, Noboa.

Our win doesn't do Leeds justice. Despite being promoted just months ago they've settled in and are grinding their way up the table past some really respectable teams like Fulham and Southampton. They were outdone by our players. I'm genuinely surprised at the chemistry between our team considering so many of them weren't here last season. All worked together to push for the eventual conversions by Zabedeo Zaccone and Promes. A whirlwind strike from Bolasie met the head of Roux who nodded the ball over the line to secure the three points. This shouldn't cause too much damage to our opponents but gave our a massive boost.

Not quite the end I'd been expecting. Last night whilst entering the first game for the next post the disc drive on the console gave out. I've been trying to get it up and running again with very little luck. In light of this there's no way I can carry on until I get the problem fixed. If not then it's quite literally the end of the line for this. Anyone who read this thread - thank you.

1 hour ago, Dickie said:

I thought you got rid of Stones?

Stones went out on loan to Millwall last season and then came back to Everton when the second started. As stated above unless I can revive the console it's had it and this Everton run will be over before it's even had a chance.

2 hours ago, Cure said:

Stones went out on loan to Millwall last season and then came back to Everton when the second started. As stated above unless I can revive the console it's had it and this Everton run will be over before it's even had a chance.

Ohhhh ok sorry there are a lot i got lost somewhere after the 35th post i think

10 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Ohhhh ok sorry there are a lot i got lost somewhere after the 35th post i think

No worries. I'm gonna take the thing apart and see what the problem is. It's an old console and although I rarely use it it means something at least. Went through the thick and thin of it with that box. I'm not giving up on it...

Archived