talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(FM19) Hamburger SV

football forum

On 29/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, R-D said:

Good luck with Hoffenheim. Their prominent rise to the Bundesliga after some financial backing was a great story all them years back (and the rise of Demba Ba), and how they've maintained since given their absolutely minuscule population. 

Also nice tactical piece, big fan of seeing how people play the game from that side and how their respective teams line up. Out of curiosity, that dark red square next to Kramaric, what does that say when you hover over it?

I think it's to indicate that as a team you cover little to no ground within that area of the pitch.

I know very little about German football so i'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
football forum
On 29/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, R-D said:

Good luck with Hoffenheim. Their prominent rise to the Bundesliga after some financial backing was a great story all them years back (and the rise of Demba Ba), and how they've maintained since given their absolutely minuscule population. 

Also nice tactical piece, big fan of seeing how people play the game from that side and how their respective teams line up. Out of curiosity, that dark red square next to Kramaric, what does that say when you hover over it?

I've liked them because of the rise from the bottom tiers of German football but was swayed to manage them because of Julian Nagelsmann who is an absolute diamond. Only 30 years of age and has already taken the club from five points adrift in the Bundesliga relegation places to a Champions League finish last season. The squad at the moment isn't capable of competing with Bayern, Red Bull or Dortmund but the challenge is to get them there.

As for the red box it states - ''Going without an attacking midfielder will result in a struggle to be as strong in that area of the pitch''. Adding a ball-winning midfielder however to this scenario expands the box to say ''However ''Player X'' is a capable ball-winning midfielder able to get forward and influence the game in the attacking third''.

47 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think it's to indicate that as a team you cover little to no ground within that area of the pitch. I know very little about German football so i'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Thanks mate, good luck with Crystal Palace too! It'll be interesting to see if you do any better than FDB xD.

• Subscriber

I don't know if it's just me but I've never ever been a fan of playing a BWM as my deepest midfielder. I think against a good passing side that's just inviting trouble. I actually think despite the role being largely about doing something defensive, it's a fairly attacking role.

football forum

Oh fuck right off, a harmless cross is whipped into the box and Olivier Baumann spills it into his own net, what a complete clown. I wouldn't mind, but the game went on to finish 3-2 so we could have nabbed a point had he not rubbed butter on his gloves >:(.

22 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't know if it's just me but I've never ever been a fan of playing a BWM as my deepest midfielder. I think against a good passing side that's just inviting trouble. I actually think despite the role being largely about doing something defensive, it's a fairly attacking role.

I think it gives stability to the defence, by having a BWM is allows the defence to only really defend second balls as opposed to dealing with everything on their own. I must admit that I usually play with a 4-2-3-1 formation but it seems as though I can fit the players around the formation above better to suit the teams needs. That said, the next game in the Bundesliga is against Hannover and I'm expecting a win so something more attacking might come out to play.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Oh fuck right off, a harmless cross is whipped into the box and Olivier Baumann spills it into his own net, what a complete clown. I wouldn't mind, but the game went on to finish 3-2 so we could have nabbed a point had he not rubbed butter on his gloves >:(.

I think it gives stability to the defence, by having a BWM is allows the defence to only really defend second balls as opposed to dealing with everything on their own. I must admit that I usually play with a 4-2-3-1 formation but it seems as though I can fit the players around the formation above better to suit the teams needs. That said, the next game in the Bundesliga is against Hannover and I'm expecting a win so something more attacking might come out to play.

I think it's quite high risk personally. I think it definitely makes you vulnerable at the back. Like I say, you have your deepest lying midfielder doing the closing down then you're asking to be passed through. If I want a shield for my back four I will have more of a playmaker or anchor man, or just "defensive midfielder" (which I think is a medium for the previous two). I have that at Nantes, I use Yann Bodiger there as a DLP, he's pretty tidy on the ball but he's built like a centre half too so often does a lot for me defensively. My type of player to have there.

I do play a BWM and do get the concept of one* but I'll personally only ever play it as a CM, and even if it's as a CM I'll want another one covering him. I suppose it depends on your overall set up.

* While I do often use them, I wonder if it's making a player quite limited, like... is it not possible to be a BWM who can drive at the opposition? A bit like how Kante does, he wins the ball and then runs at the opposition. He did for us anyway. On this it seems quite limited, win the ball, lay off to other midfielder.

football forum

01: THE SEASON BEGINS... 

fd3537cdc0f43ad8a91a3f912a13d36a.png

The Champions League play-offs drew us against Ukrainian outfit Dynamo Kiev, a positive tie in my opinion considering that we could have drawn any of Liverpool, Napoli or Sevilla. Dynamo had lost Andriy Yarmolenko to Borussia Dortmund in the summer and whilst I knew they would be no push-over I was sure that I could give a good account of myself and meet the boards ambition of reaching the group stage. 

The first game was a tight affair with both sides arguably not wanting to win the game for fear of losing it. We tried to score when the opportunity presented itself but with away goals being so crucial in Europe I was fully aware that keeping Baumann's gloves clean was better than scoring up the other end, to my delight however with 85 minutes on the clock Serge Gnabry, on loan from Bayern Munich drilled a low effort from the outside of the box into the corner of the goal giving us the early advantage and allowing us to board the plane to Ukraine with a 1-0 lead to defend. 

1400604189-serge-gnabry-tsg-1899-hoffenh

Serge Gnabry drills the ball past Mayxm Koval to give Hoffenheim the lead against Dynamo Kiev.

Back in Germany, the Bundesliga saw us up against Wolfsburg - unfortunately, as you can see we started the campaign with a defeat. The first half, similarly to the Kiev game was rather tight but just before half-time a goal from Paul Ntep sent the away side into the break with the lead. I toyed with the idea of going all out attack considering we were at home but thought better of it and was to be punished for my defensive mindset on the hour marked when Oliver Baumann dropped a harmless cross into his own goal to make it 2-0 (and for the record, it was a horrendous mistake). With 30 minutes to play I brought off our centre-back, Benjamin Hubner in favour of Sandro Wagner to add an extra man to the front-line. 

With five minutes to go, a long ball was lumped into the box and none other than Sandro headed home at the back stick to claw a goal back for us, at 2-1 with five minutes go our fans dared to dream. The team had renewed confidence and all stood that little bit taller, unfortunately, the fairy-tale didn't quite come to fruition as although we scored again in the 94th minute through Mark Uth, Wolfsburg had already added another four minutes earlier to take the three points and win 3-2. 

This meant that we boarded the plane to Ukraine with a deep sense of worry, we hadn't quite hit our stride despite it still being early in the season but I knew that Dynamo would have to attack us so set up with a 5-4-1 formation with supporting wing-backs. My plan was to soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter for that all important away goal with Wagner acting as my target man. 

Things got hard for us however as right-back Pavel Kaderabeck saw red for a reckless lunge on the stroke of half-time (an action that resulted in him receiving an official warning). With over 45 minutes to play with just ten men on the other side of Europe I knew that we were now really up against it, I hurled off our attacking midfielder, Kerim and dug in with a rigid shape of 4-4-1.

We did dig deep though, we got lucky when a few shots hit the post rather than the net but in this game you make your own luck. We were all set for the Champions League when disaster struck with less than 60 seconds to play. A harmless throw-in was taken on the left hand wing and from 35 yards Vitaliy Buyalskyi (who has '10' long shot ability) rifles a thunderbolt into the back of the net. Kiev goes into raptures and we've got a mountain to climb. 

I decide to be brave, we go 4-3-2 and route one is the order of the day. The time for intricate passing has long gone and we've got our backs to the wall, pump it into the box and see what we can do. In the early stages of extra time we were bailed out more than once by Baumann who was clearly trying to exorcise the demons of that Wolfsburg tie. With 94 minutes on the clock the ball is cleared by Kevin Vogt with Mark Uth running for his life to make it before the Kiev defence. He takes the ball down on his chest, zips past two defenders before launching the ball past the helpless goalkeeper - we're only at 1-1 but we've now got the all important away goal. 

1134016_1_nocroparticledetail_mmdc-6wm5q

He's done it! Mark Uth sends Hoffenheim into the Champions League on a cold night in Kiev.

I drop to 4-4-1 again and shut up shop - the whistle blows and we've done it - Hoffenheim are into the Champions League. The fans that have travelled over a thousand miles to see their team have had a night to remember. 

football forum

02: DER GROSSE! (The Big One!)

599f224e2ee40fe7a4000001.jpg

833fd4faceb5689c989b2a4016100bd0.png

The group stages for the Champions League have been drawn and 1899 Hoffenheim have found themselves in what journalists are calling the ''Group of Death''. On their debut at this stage of European football Der Hoff find themselves battling it out against French champions AS Monaco, Italian heavy-weights SSC Napoli and arguably the biggest club in the world, FC Barcelona. 

The first game of the group will take place in Naples with the final match-day wrapping up on the 5th December in the Camp Nou. Will Hoffenheim continue to write history and progress or will this prove to be a bridge too far?

11 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Given the difficult fixture in between that game against Kyiv could have easily gone either way. Your team must be mentally shattered with all this early drama.

Yeah, nine times out of ten we would have gone out in those circumstances but the stars just seemed to align. We managed to withstand a barrage of Ukrainian attacks and then took our chance when it came to us, it's took it out on the players who are already playing two games a week when the rest of the league are just warming up but it's something that we just have to deal with. 

I'm really excited about the Champions League actually, we're huge underdogs but that's how I like it.

football forum
13 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Brutal group, should be a laugh.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

That group xD

Good luck! Should be able to get a few points against Monaco and/or Napoli at home?

10 minutes ago, R-D said:

Some CL group that is (wait until you see mine). But always expected as fourth seeds. A good challenge none-the-less! The scenes when you nick a late winner at the Camp Nou.

Thanks for the confirmation that my group is absolutely brutal xD. As you pointed out though R-D, as fourth seeds it was always going to be a struggle and I'd rather mix it with the best at the Camp Nou than pull a PSG out of the hat. Whilst I think qualifying would be a miracle hopefully a few points at home against Monaco and/or Napoli could see me snatch 3rd. Barcelona will be damage limitation but should be an experience. 

football forum

The next match after the 3-2 thriller against Hannover was at home to Red Bull Leipzig who are surprisingly struggling after losing their opening two games. Timo Werner opened the scoring for them on seven minutes with Lukas Rupp slamming home three minutes later to level the scores. Then, with just over a quarter of an hour to go Red Bull go and do this; 

faaf7e3c278f3f068a57f60a2bcfea99.gif

Not a bad way to gift me the three points xD! Kramaric doesn't think twice and we hold on at 2-1 to win the game, we're starting to build momentum which is just what we need before starting the European tour against Napoli. 

• Subscriber
On 05/11/2017 at 3:33 PM, Cannabis said:

The next match after the 3-2 thriller against Hannover was at home to Red Bull Leipzig who are surprisingly struggling after losing their opening two games. Timo Werner opened the scoring for them on seven minutes with Lukas Rupp slamming home three minutes later to level the scores. Then, with just over a quarter of an hour to go Red Bull go and do this; 

faaf7e3c278f3f068a57f60a2bcfea99.gif

Not a bad way to gift me the three points xD! Kramaric doesn't think twice and we hold on at 2-1 to win the game, we're starting to build momentum which is just what we need before starting the European tour against Napoli. 

When did Leipzig sign Ashley Williams?

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Tsubasa said:

How are you able to write all of this and have a girlfriend? 

Multitasking.

He continues to play and type whilst she suck's him off. Everyone's a winner.

Good luck mate, hopefully you do better than I've been doing on this. Also you've got to hang onto Laporte. He's something special. Check your U19's, there is surely some under the radar talent there that can go into the first team.

Archived