talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who's the best goalkeeper in the world?

football forum

The best goalkeepers  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best goalkeeper in the world right now?

• Manuel Neuer
    • David de Gea
    • Gianluigi Buffon
    • Marc-André ter Stegen
    • Hugo Lloris
    • Keylor Navas
    • Thibaut Courtois
    • Jan Oblak
    • Alisson Becker
  2. 2. Who from these young keepers do you think will be the best in years to come?

• Gianluigi Donnarumma
    • Kepa Arrizabalaga
    • Alban Lafont
    • Oscar Linnér
    • Mile Svilar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
On 21/10/2018 at 07:20, SirBalon said:

Neuer is indeed class but we always have to leave a margin open for betterment, for natural talent and evolution.  Marc-André ter Stegen covers all of these categories and more.  Anyone that follows Barcelona will know what he has achieved on an individual argument and also taking into account how Barcelona play the game which has always meant that a keeper is more open to being tested.  All this without even going into his football technical ability with the ball at his feet because he is as good if not better than most footballers in Europe's top divisions where passing acumen is in question.

Ter Stegen is the best keeper in the world right now and I wouldn't have Neuer in the top three at all.

As for the young keepers... Kepa is THERE!  Donnarumma has talent and shown it but Kepa has been performing and he's only going to get better with time.  So much so that already in Spain there's a debate as to whether or not he should take the place of David de Gea.

I mean thats not much of a stretch he basically hasnt been healthy for 2 seasons now. He hasnt regained his former form, maybe he will maybe he wont. Prior to it wasnt even a close contest, Neuer hands down was the best for a stretch of a few years anyways.  

I havent had time to keep up outside of big clashes here and there and CL games so im not the best judge for this at the moment but I have to say Oblak has been impressively consistently for several years now though.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Someone’s voted for Buffon as the best RIGHT NOW! Now, I know he’s on the list but that’s funny. 

you know you can click on the number on the right hand side and see who it was? 

Also, why put him on the list if you didn't think he'd get votes/didn't want him to get votes/think it'd be funny if he did?

37 minutes ago, Stan said:

you know you can click on the number on the right hand side and see who it was? 

Also, why put him on the list if you didn't think he'd get votes/didn't want him to get votes/think it'd be funny if he did?

I was testing you all. I was only going to put Ter Stegen. :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Always love these threads. A couple of saves at the weekend and the ‘best in the world’ tag starts getting thrown about. 

But it isn’t just a couple of saves this weekend though where Ter Stegen is concerned. Look at many of last season’s La Liga matchday threads and you’ll see that there’s been plenty of match saving moments from him for some considerable time which is why many were calling for him to be number 1 for Germany at the World Cup. 

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Always love these threads. A couple of saves at the weekend and the ‘best in the world’ tag starts getting thrown about. 

What do you mean by these threads? 

I saw the thread family as "new way to praise/proclaim the greatness of FC barcelona and/or their players".

Ederson's pass to Riyad Mahrez during Manchester City vs Burnley was incredible

One of the most important aspects of City’s title win last season was Ederson

The Brazilian arrived from Benfica for £35 million and played a major role in City conquering England.

Not only was he brilliant between the sticks, but his distribution also earned plenty of plaudits.

Ederson's ability to start attacks from his own penalty area with his incredible passing ability is pretty much unrivalled in world football.

Ederson only turned 25 in the summer and his manager is adamant that he’s on course to become the best goalkeeper in the world.

“He is one of the top [‘keepers],” explained Guardiola.

“With his age and his desire to improve he will become an extraordinary goalkeeper.

The most important thing is he is so calm. When he concedes a goal he is quiet and when he make an extraordinary save he is quiet. His reaction is the same. He is so stable.

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Ederson's pass to Riyad Mahrez during Manchester City vs Burnley was incredible

One of the most important aspects of City’s title win last season was Ederson

The Brazilian arrived from Benfica for £35 million and played a major role in City conquering England.

Not only was he brilliant between the sticks, but his distribution also earned plenty of plaudits.

Ederson's ability to start attacks from his own penalty area with his incredible passing ability is pretty much unrivalled in world football.

Ederson only turned 25 in the summer and his manager is adamant that he’s on course to become the best goalkeeper in the world.

“He is one of the top [‘keepers],” explained Guardiola.

“With his age and his desire to improve he will become an extraordinary goalkeeper.

The most important thing is he is so calm. When he concedes a goal he is quiet and when he make an extraordinary save he is quiet. His reaction is the same. He is so stable.

That is one of the most eloquent pieces of football journalism I’ve read in my entire life.

Reads like a typical football fan wrote it but one that wouldn’t even have the tools to shine amongst many of our own members on the forum. Infact TF365 should become a football buble of opinions instead of examples like that mate. 

Nobody doubts the talent Edison has but everything in fair measures don’t you think?

15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

But it isn’t just a couple of saves this weekend though where Ter Stegen is concerned. Look at many of last season’s La Liga matchday threads and you’ll see that there’s been plenty of match saving moments from him for some considerable time which is why many were calling for him to be number 1 for Germany at the World Cup. 

De Gea has been doing this consistently for 3 seasons, but a slight drop in form and he’s written off as not the best. Just amuses me, that’s all X

16 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

De Gea has been doing this consistently for 3 seasons, but a slight drop in form and he’s written off as not the best. Just amuses me, that’s all X

De Gea is a great keeper and his drop in form coincided with very high profile games and one must remember that he is known for showing up in vital moments with impossible looking saves.

I don’t think anybody is underestimating De Gea’s continuing value as one of the world’s top keepers but the question was on the NOW and for many Ter Stegen has been on a completely different level to all the others in my personal view. If De Gea gets his total form back then it all becomes a juicier debate really based on objective opinion.   

I've been saying Ter Stegen for a few years personally. Only Messi and Busquets are more important for Barcelona, although with the defence as shit as it is, he's maybe the most important considering how many times he save the team's arse.

I've also always said that it's very close between himself, de Gea and Oblak and how it's more about preference in this case. With either of those 3 between the sticks, you have the safest hands in world football.

12 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I've been saying Ter Stegen for a few years personally. Only Messi and Busquets are more important for Barcelona, although with the defence as shit as it is, he's maybe the most important considering how many times he save the team's arse.

I've also always said that it's very close between himself, de Gea and Oblak and how it's more about preference in this case. With either of those 3 between the sticks, you have the safest hands in world football.

Barcelona have nearly really had a great keeper in recent years, Valdes was ok but wouldn't put him at World class,  probably the last great keeper was the mighty Ruud Hesp or Rustu Recber  :ph34r:

53 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Barcelona have nearly really had a great keeper in recent years, Valdes was ok but wouldn't put him at World class,  probably the last great keeper was the mighty Ruud Hesp or Rustu Recber  :ph34r:

Andoni Zubizarreta and then they had Vítor Baía. Zubi is a cult legend and Baía has some of the best stats in history throughout his career. 

Archived