talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Want Mini World Cup

football forum

FIFA's ruling council are set to discuss president Gianni Infantino's plans for two new global tournaments when it meets later this week.

Infantino wants to introduce a 'mini World Cup', which would mirror the format of UEFA's Nations League, and an expanded version of FIFA's Club World Cup.

FIFA's ruling council meets in Kigali, Rwanda, with the two tournaments featuring among the items for discussion on Friday according to the agenda document.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people won't like this but I'm all for making international football bigger. Most fans aren't that interested in the league cup so I would support making the league cup for premier league reserve teams to free up time

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

A lot of people won't like this but I'm all for making international football bigger. Most fans aren't that interested in the league cup so I would support making the league cup for premier league reserve teams to free up time

What does this have to do with FIFA wanting a mini World Cup?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Three terrible ideas here in this thread so far. 

Have a “Nations League” competition for each continent and if you really want, do away with the Confederations Cup and have a tournament between the winners of each continents Nations League Winners. 

You wouldn't even have to make each continent have a Nations League.

There's already continental-based competitions so winners of those could be the Mini World Cup;

Euros
Copa America
African Nations Cup
Asian Cup
Nations Cup (Oceania)
Gold Cup (North America)

1 hour ago, Stan said:

What does this have to do with FIFA wanting a mini World Cup?

My point is it would free up time. In regards to the confederations cup it doesn't really have much prestige because it is kind of a side tournement. However if a tournament was set up with the intention of getting out of your Continental zones and then getting to world finals it would be different. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
On 25/10/2018 at 15:20, Smiley Culture said:

Three terrible ideas here in this thread so far. 

Have a “Nations League” competition for each continent and if you really want, do away with the Confederations Cup and have a tournament between the winners of each continents Nations League Winners. 

Quite like this one.

• 1 year later...

Archived