talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gerardo Martino Leaving Atlanta

Gerardo Martino will leave Atlanta United at the end of the season after failing to agree terms on a contract extension.

The news follows reports in the USA that the former Argentina manager is set to return to international football with Mexico.

Martino has led Atlanta to the top of the Eastern Conference, which they will win if they secure victory in their final regular season match against Toronto on Sunday, and a place in the end of season play-offs.

Martino said: "This was not an easy decision to make. I have enjoyed my time with Atlanta United very much and am proud of what we have accomplished together in such a short time.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

With the way they've approached this season and at times blown teams away with their frightening counter-attacking play, they've been a breath of fresh air for the MLS. 

I fear that if Martino goes, some key players will as well - they seemed to really enjoy playing for him and believed in his 'philosophies'. Players like Almiron, Villalba, Martinez, Barco (I know he only signed this season), Gressel etc may go - granted they may have left anyway but maybe not having Martino in charge could persuade them to leave even more. 

Hope they go on to win the whole thing, not just their Conference. 

• 1 month later...

Love Tata, and it makes sense why he left. His family is still down in Argentina, so he didn't see them for 6 months, which is hard considering he is such a family guy. Coaching the Mexico NT team will be a win-win, as he'll be able to spend more time with family and he'll be surrounded by quality players still. 

He truly changed the MLS, and De Boer has some giant shoes to fill, so it'll be interesting to see how this works out. 

Just now, Eco said:

Love Tata, and it makes sense why he left. His family is still down in Argentina, so he didn't see them for 6 months, which is hard considering he is such a family guy. Coaching the Mexico NT team will be a win-win, as he'll be able to spend more time with family and he'll be surrounded by quality players still. 

He truly changed the MLS, and De Boer has some giant shoes to fill, so it'll be interesting to see how this works out. 

Funnily enough, his long time assistant Pautasso has joined FBC Melgar as manager. Will be interesting to see how this affects Martino in the long run.

Archived