talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

10 best managers in the world

football forum

Who do you think are the ten best managers right now? For years Simione probably would have been my number one however his squad did cost more than Real Madrid's  so not so sure now but don't really know enough to say. I think to say who is the best you have to look at who is doing the best with what they have. But at the same time I think you have to look at managers managing teams at the top because it is harder to manage teams at the top. What I mean is although what Sean Dyche did with Burnley last year was very good I think it is harder to win the league with Chelsea or get 100 points with Man city. I think when you look at who is the best manager you have to look at money spent, wage bill and what back up they have. If they have a poor scouting network then it is more of an achievement than a team with a very good scouting network. I couldn't pick a top ten but I would probably put allegri as number 1 at the minute because it is hard to see(other than winning the European cup) what he could have done better. Winning seria A doesn't put him at number 1 but he has made Juventus a major European power again so for me he is number 1. So who do you think are the nest and why?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no order other than alphabetically because this is very difficult and then you have styles of football which any particular coach wants to implement with which we go into preferences and that isn't something factual on the worth of a coach.

Here's my 12...

• Massimiliano Allegri
  • Carlo Ancelotti
  • Unai Emery
  • Josep Guardiola
  • Leonardo Jardim
  • Jürgen Klopp
  • Luis Enrique
  • Mauricio Pochettino
  • Maurizio Sarri
  • Quique Setién
  • Diego Simeone
  • Ernesto Valverde

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

In no order other than alphabetically because this is very difficult and then you have styles of football which any particular coach wants to implement with which we go into preferences and that isn't something factual on the worth of a coach.

Here's my 10...

• Carlo Ancelotti
  • Unai Emery
  • Josep Guardiola
  • Leonardo Jardim
  • Jürgen Klopp
  • Luis Enrique
  • Mauricio Pochettino
  • Maurizio Sarri
  • Quique Setién
  • Ernesto Valverde

No allegri or simione? Or you being sarcastic?

• Administrator

Depends what you base it on.

Success in their career but only recently hired (in which case managers who have only recently been hired shouldn't be included).
Success in their career to date (in which case managers like Mourinho, Zidane, Wenger (to name a few) would be included despite either being shit currently or out of a job at the moment)
The way they manage their club or get their teams playing despite winning very little/nothing (Klopp, Pochettino, Pablo Machin etc)

There's so many factors and variables that it makes it hard to narrow down to 10 unless you're specifying how they are going to be ranked.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Can't do that I'm afraid mate!  I'd feel too guilty... :$

Haha. Out of your list I'd take out Jardim (given he's recently been sacked) and one of Ancelotti/Pochettino - Ancelotti because he's only recently been hired at Napoli; Pochettino because he's not doing that well at Spurs right now compared to previous seasons, it's as if it's gone a bit stale or taken them as far as he can. They don't seem as exciting. Added to that he's not won anything with such a good group of players so far, either...

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Haha. Out of your list I'd take out Jardim (given he's recently been sacked) and one of Ancelotti/Pochettino - Ancelotti because he's only recently been hired at Napoli; Pochettino because he's not doing that well at Spurs right now compared to previous seasons, it's as if it's gone a bit stale or taken them as far as he can. They don't seem as exciting. Added to that he's not won anything with such a good group of players so far, either...

That's the easy way to read it mate but we all know full well Pochettino is a fantastic coach. He is being handicapped and he is no magician.

Simeone

Guardiola

Klopp

Ancelotti

Allegri

Conte

Pochettino

Tuchel

Enrique

Didn't put much thought into that, mostly just went with my gut so I appreciate there are some debatable shouts. Ancelotti was underwhelming with Bayern but his quality is still there imo and he's starting to show it with Napoli. Conte isn't even in work rn but I just think he's outstanding. Tuchel is brilliant imo, but it's impossible to seriously judge any manager with the mess at PSG and he's completely wasting his talents there.

Also the way I interpreted the question was "Top 10 managers you would want managing your club at this very moment". So I've not factored past success into the list that much.

52 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Simeone

Guardiola

Klopp

Ancelotti

Allegri

Conte

Pochettino

Tuchel

Enrique

Didn't put much thought into that, mostly just went with my gut so I appreciate there are some debatable shouts. Ancelotti was underwhelming with Bayern but his quality is still there imo and he's starting to show it with Napoli. Conte isn't even in work rn but I just think he's outstanding. Tuchel is brilliant imo, but it's impossible to seriously judge any manager with the mess at PSG and he's completely wasting his talents there.

Also the way I interpreted the question was "Top 10 managers you would want managing your club at this very moment". So I've not factored past success into the list that much.

I know you didn't say him but I  don't think a manager goes from good manager one season to terrible the next. So if Jardim is in someones list I don't think this season should make you change your mind. After all they loose loads of players every season. Personally I wouldn't have him in my list as I think he needs to go to a top league with a top club to really prove himself. There have been managers who have done well is smaller leagues before who have been poor in better leagues. I think he could be a great coach but not sure yet. As with your list don't think I would put Ancelotti above Allegri. I don't think he could do what Allegri has at Juventus. Years ago he was a top top coach but he seems to have lost it a bit or maybe he has not evolved enough. Not to sure about Tuchel either. He did well at Dortmund but not exceptional. And PSG haven't been spectacular. Would maybe swap him for Sarri and possibly emery depending on how we do this season.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Depends what you base it on.

Success in their career but only recently hired (in which case managers who have only recently been hired shouldn't be included).
Success in their career to date (in which case managers like Mourinho, Zidane, Wenger (to name a few) would be included despite either being shit currently or out of a job at the moment)
The way they manage their club or get their teams playing despite winning very little/nothing (Klopp, Pochettino, Pablo Machin etc)

There's so many factors and variables that it makes it hard to narrow down to 10 unless you're specifying how they are going to be ranked.

I am sometimes a bit unsure with Klopp. I mean he has done well but he really does need to win something. If he doesn't win something soon not sure he has done any better than Mourinho at man utd.

15 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I know you didn't say him but I  don't think a manager goes from good manager one season to terrible the next. So if Jardim is in someones list I don't think this season should make you change your mind. After all they loose loads of players every season. Personally I wouldn't have him in my list as I think he needs to go to a top league with a top club to really prove himself. There have been managers who have done well is smaller leagues before who have been poor in better leagues. I think he could be a great coach but not sure yet. As with your list don't think I would put Ancelotti above Allegri. I don't think he could do what Allegri has at Juventus. Years ago he was a top top coach but he seems to have lost it a bit or maybe he has not evolved enough. Not to sure about Tuchel either. He did well at Dortmund but not exceptional. And PSG haven't been spectacular. Would maybe swap him for Sarri and possibly emery depending on how we do this season.

All quite true, if you asked me to write my 10 on another day I'd probably have a good chance of swapping Jardim with Tuchel or Ancelotti. It also wasn't meant to be ordered.

11 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I am sometimes a bit unsure with Klopp. I mean he has done well but he really does need to win something. If he doesn't win something soon not sure he has done any better than Mourinho at man utd.

Doesn’t mean Klopp has to be in the top slots though. A top 10 is a large scope in a small knit group which I think he presently belongs in. Put it this way... On the biggest club scene of them all he’s already achieved what Wenger did with similar resources which is a Champions League Final. Plus they both have in common aesthetically appealing football.

I wouldn’t put Klopp in the top five at all and I would quite low down in that top 10 which is still a big positive in my view. He has to win things!

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Doesn’t mean Klopp has to be in the top slots though. A top 10 is a large scope in a small knit group which I think he presently belongs in. Put it this way... On the biggest club scene of them all he’s already achieved what Wenger did with similar resources which is a Champions League Final. Plus they both have in common aesthetically appealing football.

I wouldn’t put Klopp in the top five at all and I would quite low down in that top 10 which is still a big positive in my view. He has to win things!

I think he is in the top 10. Also you have to take into account he is up against other top managers.  He has done well in Europe. But whet Wenger did in his first 3 years in the premier league is better than what klopp did. But this is about current managers not another Wenger debate

5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I would also point out that Arsenal were already one of the strongest clubs in England when Wenger took over. Klopp took Dortmund from mid-table to a CL final, and won a fair amount on the way. 

The four seasons before Wenger's arrival we finished 10th, 4th, 12th amd 5th. Not too dissimilar to Liverpool before Klopp.

5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I would also point out that Arsenal were already one of the strongest clubs in England when Wenger took over. Klopp took Dortmund from mid-table to a CL final, and won a fair amount on the way. 

No they actually weren't that good when he took over. And he didn't spend much. In terms of premier league success you can't compare them until klopp has won the league. Over all you can as klopp has 2 german titles but not in terms of premier league success not yet anyway. 

One thing that's interesting is that no one has mentioned zidane. 

Just now, ...Dan said:

The four seasons before Wenger's arrival we finished 10th, 4th, 12th amd 5th. Not too dissimilar to Liverpool before Klopp.

Exactly. Wenger needed to go at the end but let's not discredit his first ten years. If he had left in 2006 he would be regarded as a great. But seriously this is for another thread

I'd say this is pretty fair. 

1. Guardiola

2. Simeone

3. Conte

4. Klopp

5. Allegri 

6. Emery

7. Pochettino

8. Enrique

9. Jardim

10. Tuchel

The likes of Mourinho, Wenger, and Ancelotti obviously becoming out of date with current football. Sarri has yet to do anything of note bar last season. 

Managing and football as  whole is more than just about winning things, Klopp is perfect for Liverpool for example, even without having won a trophy yet.

Comparing across divisions is also ridiculous, Guardiola's job is totally different from Mickey Mellon's job (a terrific manger). This is a list for elite level football but it doesn't mean they are automatically better than coaches who don't get the privileges some of these have had.

56 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

No they actually weren't that good when he took over. And he didn't spend much. In terms of premier league success you can't compare them until klopp has won the league. Over all you can as klopp has 2 german titles but not in terms of premier league success not yet anyway. 

One thing that's interesting is that no one has mentioned zidane. 

Teams back then yo-yoed up and down the table that way. The Arsenal team, particularly the defence, was clearly one of the better ones in England. Wenger didn't so much need to build from scratch, as build on top of and evolve a pretty strong foundation. 

Dortmund in 2008 were not in a comparable situation. They were a broke, middling side, and not remotely capable of the kind of moves Arsenal were capable of in the 1990s.

Archived