talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

10 best managers in the world

football forum

I don't know about a top ten, but If all were given billions to spend, I still think no manager would produce better football than what Guardiola currently does. He's got all the knowledge and experience now that others don't and never had access to. He's definitely #1 and close to unbeatable if he gets all of his toys.

Klopp and Jardim seem to need less than Guardiola to implement their football and have relative success, probably because Guardiola's style is more complex and he needs his highly technical players to make it work. Let's say I wouldn't trust Guardiola with the Levante job.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Machado said:

I don't know about a top ten, but If all were given billions to spend, I still think no manager would produce better football than what Guardiola currently does. He's got all the knowledge and experience now that others don't and never had access to. He's definitely #1 and close to unbeatable if he gets all of his toys.

Klopp and Jardim seem to need less than Guardiola to implement their football and have relative success, probably because Guardiola's style is more complex and he needs his highly technical players to make it work. Let's say I wouldn't trust Guardiola with the Levante job.

Couldn't it be argued that those coaches are better then as they need less to succeed?

4 hours ago, ...Dan said:

The four seasons before Wenger's arrival we finished 10th, 4th, 12th amd 5th. Not too dissimilar to Liverpool before Klopp.

In our recent history though we've faced administration and had 2 well substandard managers (Hodgson & Rodgers) set us back several years (going from Rafa to Hodgson and having him tear that squad apart was almost as bad as Souness tearing us apart in the 90s) - look at the squads inherited by Klopp and Emery... I think Emery had a much better group to work with. I think you stagnated with Wenger, but that's not quite the same as having morons rip the team up.

7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Based on what? It’s one of those vague sporting questions that have no meaning and is completely baseless. 

If you’re talking trophies and active managers then you have to include Jose Mourinho, for example. 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Mourinho's football at all - before he was at United I similarly hated watching his sides play. But nobody can really deny his record - he's demonstrated he can get results. His time at Manchester United, after spectacularly crashing out of Chelsea (again), does take some shine off though. Because it's a well backed side financially, but not the greatest Mourinho side and certainly not great to watch. But that doesn't take away from the fact he's an active manager with an insanely impressive record.

I'd take @Cicero's list, but I'd say "in no order" and I'd swap out Tuchel or Jardim with Mourinho.

I think you have to differentiate between manager and coach. 

Mourinho was a terrific manager. Knew how to set up and balance his side. He also brought such confidence that it rubbed off on his players. Both Conte and Simeone are similar in that regard, however they demand such physical effort from their players. 

The likes of Poch, Sarri, Allegri, and Klopp are terrific coaches. They are more hands on during training, have a fundamental belief in their football and you can see genuine improvement in players' ability and the football the team plays. 

Then there is Guardiola, who is a combination of both. 

Poch, Sarri, and Klopp I think have all given their current players confidence like the "managers" you've listed. With Klopp you can see the confidence in the body language after he's had time to mold the side - look at us before he came in and after he came in. And now even the defenders are playing with confidence - a big change from where we were last year. And it's not like those high pressing styles aren't physically demanding for their sides either.

I'd also argue that Mourinho and Simeone have also demonstrated a fundamental belief in his football, even if it's not great to watch.

Personally I view coaching as more of the tactical aspects of thing and managing more of the man-management (lol) and building for the future side of things. I'd then argue that Mourinho is more of a coach than a manager, as long-term, he tends to throw players under the bus and get ultra-defensive about his tactics when they're criticised. And you can't really say he plans for the future.

Regardless, I don't think you can be a top manager without being strong on both sides. So I don't think any of the managers listed are bad at the "coaching" side or the "management" side - they've just got different approaches. And if I were the chairman of a wealthy football club, you'd consider more of what the strengths/weaknesses of these people are that you'd want to appoint. For instance, if you're in the middle of a re-build... I probably wouldn't appoint Mourinho - his track record indicates he's got the ability for short term success attained quickly but you might need to rebuild right after he's through with your club. Not the best person to oversee the rebuild. But if I had a side that was packed with quality and just needed general improvement with results from the last year to genuinely contend for silverwear… then Mourinho would be a good fit.

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

In many sports a team has both coach and a manager. 

The modern football club no longer has managers. The managers are the technical directors and then you have the head coach that runs the first team but also has influence (depending on his status and the size of the club) with what’s to come in or better said what he needs. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In our recent history though we've faced administration and had 2 well substandard managers (Hodgson & Rodgers) set us back several years (going from Rafa to Hodgson and having him tear that squad apart was almost as bad as Souness tearing us apart in the 90s) - look at the squads inherited by Klopp and Emery... I think Emery had a much better group to work with. I think you stagnated with Wenger, but that's not quite the same as having morons rip the team up.

When did you face administration?

You finished second under Rodgers and got closer than you ever had. You then went backwards and were probably in a worse state than us I do agree. But at the same time emery had to come into a club which has had the same guy for 22 years which is hard. Although correct me if I'm wrong but haven't you had 2 4th place finishes under klopp in 2 full seasons? I still think he is a top manager but if in 2 years time he hasn't won anything I don't see how that can still be said. You have to admit if he didn't come in with a (rightly deserved)good reputation I don't think fans would be so fond of him.

9 hours ago, Cicero said:

I'd say this is pretty fair. 

1. Guardiola

2. Simeone

3. Conte

4. Klopp

5. Allegri 

6. Emery

7. Pochettino

8. Enrique

9. Jardim

10. Tuchel

The likes of Mourinho, Wenger, and Ancelotti obviously becoming out of date with current football. Sarri has yet to do anything of note bar last season. 

Personally I dont think guardiola could do what simione has done at atletico Madrid. I do think that simeone could have won the league with city through. Wouldn't be as pretty but I think he would win it so I put him ahead of guardiola. I wouldn't put conte ahead of allegri as he improved juventus when conte left.  Particularly in Europe where Conte's record isn't great

Ricardo Gareca.

Call me biased all you want, but he did the impossible with the Peruvian national team out of nothing. In 2015 after the Copa America we were absolutely hopeless. Now he's transformed us into one of the best 15 in the world.

He's not the best manager in the world but he has to be included in a top 15 conversation at least. The way he handles the ignorant and horrible press, his match tactics, his faith and ability to transform average players into absolute monsters. You don't need to manage in Europe to be an excellent manager. Ask Bielsa.

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

When did you face administration?

You finished second under Rodgers and got closer than you ever had. You then went backwards and were probably in a worse state than us I do agree. But at the same time emery had to come into a club which has had the same guy for 22 years which is hard. Although correct me if I'm wrong but haven't you had 2 4th place finishes under klopp in 2 full seasons? I still think he is a top manager but if in 2 years time he hasn't won anything I don't see how that can still be said. You have to admit if he didn't come in with a (rightly deserved)good reputation I don't think fans would be so fond of him.

I think Suarez playing amazingly papered over a lot of the flaws Rodgers had. Not a fan of him at all tbh.

Faced administration under our previous owners. There were lots of fan protests directed at banks giving them loans after a point and they were basically forced to sell rather than turn us into what Newcastle is today.

2 4th place finishes, but I don’t know if it tells the whole story. Look at our squad before he came in and after. Last season we were “only 4th” but also CL finalists and in a team with a wonky defense, 2 shit keepers, and nothing for depth. I’ll take constant progress over baying for blood if we don’t get immediate success any day - we are competing with big oil money clubs and United, the most profitable club in the world. For us to go from the squad we had before Klopp came in to competing with the big boys again is massive improvement for a club that’s been severely mismanaged for decades.

In no order

Simeone

Guardiola

Gareca

Conte

Sarri

Tite

Pochettino

Klopp

Allegri

Jardim

I have my reasons for each. Call me crazy but I also don't think Southgate is far off, he reminds me of Zidane in some ways. Neither are inspiring tactically but are great motivators and are good at developing their players and building sides.

18 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Personally I dont think guardiola could do what simione has done at atletico Madrid. I do think that simeone could have won the league with city through. Wouldn't be as pretty but I think he would win it so I put him ahead of guardiola. I wouldn't put conte ahead of allegri as he improved juventus when conte left.  Particularly in Europe where Conte's record isn't great

Your evidence is nothing but hypothetical. You can't just say, oh well he would of won it too with that squad. That is not only irrational given the amount of variables to consider, but its also irrelevant.  We can only go off by what we know, and Guardiola has won league titles in 3 different countries by playing the best football in those countries. The way he shaped football at Barca has evolved into what football is now, and what many clubs are trying to pursue. 

Conte had  set up the fundamental groundwork that built Juve to what they are now, a dominate force in the league. He took over a Juve side that was being dominated in the league by Milan, who was then managed by Allegri, and knocked them off their mantle. Conte also won the league with Victor fucking Moses as a wingback. 

On 25/10/2018 at 08:27, Cicero said:

I'd say this is pretty fair. 

1. Guardiola

2. Simeone

3. Conte

4. Klopp

5. Allegri 

6. Emery

7. Pochettino

8. Enrique

9. Jardim

10. Tuchel

The likes of Mourinho, Wenger, and Ancelotti obviously becoming out of date with current football. Sarri has yet to do anything of note bar last season. 

I think based on current form, Sarri should be included. Last season he got so unlucky to not win Serie A. He reached the 90 points mark which is usually a title win. Juve is so perfect that it wasn't. That is unlucky in my opinion. Emery is a bit premature as he flopped at PSG but was good beforehand at Sevilla. Seems too soon to call him for that for his good start at Arsenal. I'm still undecided.

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think based on current form, Sarri should be included. Last season he got so unlucky to not win Serie A. He reached the 90 points mark which is usually a title win. Juve is so perfect that it wasn't. That is unlucky in my opinion. Emery is a bit premature as he flopped at PSG but was good beforehand at Sevilla. Seems too soon to call him for that for his good start at Arsenal. I'm still undecided.

I'd also have Sarri in over Emery too. Not that Emery is bad... and I think most managers will flop at PSG if the expectation is the CL. But because Sarri's Napoli was so good and was great to watch. But I think Emery's got more silverwear… so maybe not.

• Subscriber

I will only pick three I am afraid, but I am an old fart and the choices are my opinion only and others may differ. :coffee: 

1. Pep Guardiola and he has not finished at City yet.

43701999_10156813536667855_5751745328638

2. Diego Simeone and he has not finished at A. Madrid yet.

44753986_10156813537377855_4599163229527

3. Jürgen Klopp and he has not finished at Liverpool yet.

44942069_10156813537017855_8302565262301

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Your evidence is nothing but hypothetical. You can't just say, oh well he would of won it too with that squad. That is not only irrational given the amount of variables to consider, but its also irrelevant.  We can only go off by what we know, and Guardiola has won league titles in 3 different countries by playing the best football in those countries. The way he shaped football at Barca has evolved into what football is now, and what many clubs are trying to pursue. 

Conte had  set up the fundamental groundwork that built Juve to what they are now, a dominate force in the league. He took over a Juve side that was being dominated in the league by Milan, who was then managed by Allegri, and knocked them off their mantle. Conte also won the league with Victor fucking Moses as a wingback. 

I'll reply properly tomorrow. But yes it is hyperthetical. A lot of the time I go on instict more than logic. It works for me. I said Moyes would fail at utd and man utd wouldn't be as good when fergie retired. I couldn't give a logical reason why Moyes would fail but I said he would and he did. A lot on here said nothing would change at utd when fergie retired. At the same time guardiola wasn't massively popular at Bayern and I'm not sure if he really improved them

6 hours ago, Blue said:

In no order

Simeone

Guardiola

Gareca

Conte

Sarri

Tite

Pochettino

Klopp

Allegri

Jardim

I have my reasons for each. Call me crazy but I also don't think Southgate is far off, he reminds me of Zidane in some ways. Neither are inspiring ta

6 hours ago, Blue said:

In no order

Simeone

Guardiola

Gareca

Conte

Sarri

Tite

Pochettino

Klopp

Allegri

Jardim

I have my reasons for each. Call me crazy but I also don't think Southgate is far off, he reminds me of Zidane in some ways. Neither are inspiring tactically but are great motivators and are good at developing their players and building sides.

ctically but are great motivators and are good at developing their players and building sides.

I don't think Southgate is a great coach. But I think he works well for England

22 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

xDxD

Anyways. Back to being serious.

1) Don Jose Mou

2) Diego S. 

Its ridiculous to say mourinho is the best manager in the world. Maybe he was but not now

• Subscriber

This comment is going to cause countless people's heads to fall off no doubt but this thread is little more than an illustration for me of how trendy it is to make out that "attractive" football and a positive atmosphere around the club are more valued by football fans than actual successful teams.

Klopp, Guardiola and a few others are fair inclusions but it's amazing how trendy high press managers like Sarri and Poch who are obviously good and shouldn't be judged yet because they are in the start or middle of their current projects, but also haven't won a trophy, even a Mickey Mouse Charity Shield, can be deemed top ten managers in the entire world while anyone who mentions Mourinho (not saying that I am) will get laughed out the room despite the fact that for all of his current troubles he's won silverware wherever he's gone all over Europe. 

I'm not giving a top ten myself because I'm too lazy and I'm also not going to pretend I know enough about the rest of the top managers outside of the Premier League like some people do despite only seeing said manager's teams play half a dozen times in their life before including them on this list. Deal with it.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This comment is going to cause countless people's heads to fall off no doubt but this thread is little more than an illustration for me of how trendy it is to make out that "attractive" football and a positive atmosphere around the club are more valued by football fans than actual successful teams.

Klopp, Guardiola and a few others are fair inclusions but it's amazing how trendy high press managers like Sarri and Poch who are obviously good and shouldn't be judged yet because they are in the start or middle of their current projects, but also haven't won a trophy, even a Mickey Mouse Charity Shield, can be deemed top ten managers in the entire world while anyone who mentions Mourinho (not saying that I am) will get laughed out the room despite the fact that for all of his current troubles he's won silverware wherever he's gone all over Europe. 

I'm not giving a top ten myself because I'm too lazy and I'm also not going to pretend I know enough about the rest of the top managers outside of the Premier League like some people do despite only seeing said manager's teams play half a dozen times in their life before including them on this list. Deal with it.

Yeah but that's only unfair depending on how you interpret the question.

If you're thinking about records, then your list will look totally different compared to someone thinking about current performance. Either way of thinking about the question is equally valid.

If you asked me to list the active managers who have the best records, then people like Mourinho, Benitez, etc. are all sure shouts. But with my own personal understanding of the question, they're not on the list.

If I was a fan of a club with a world-class team, you might say to me "Mourinho, Benitez - league winners, CL winners", but I might feel like a manager with fresher ideas, like Sarri, or Poch, was a better candidate, because they might be more likely to win something in the future. In my understanding, that makes them better managers - because they perform better right now, today.

Every manager with an amazing record was at some point a manager who had won nothing. 

It's like asking, "Who's a better player - Arjen Robben, or Ousmane Dembele?". If you mean throughout their whole careers, then obviously it's Robben. If you mean, who do I want playing for my team, then it's obviously Dembele.

Archived