talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester Owners' Helicopter Crashes Outside Stadium

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone ever experienced a misidentification before? One time my mum got a call from Merseyside Police saying I’d died in a car accident. I hadn’t died in a car accident though, had to go identify myself to them to prove I wasn’t dead. I’m still not sure how the mixup was made.

But shite like that makes me unsurprised it’s taking longer than possible.

Just now, Cannabis said:

Bet that was fun for your Mum, jeez.

She sounded like she was having a heart attack when she called my name after, but she also knew the dead guy wasn’t me because she’d just spoken with me before the police called her and she knew I was home and not dead. But I think there was a brief second where she got worried about me, hence the heart attack sound in her voice. 

The police don't wait til they know everyone on board before saying who it is though. Take terrorist incidents for example, they'll start with saying 3 are suspected dead, then they might name some and then two days later name others.They haven't even said anyone has died yet which is unusual management of the situation. There's a large communal emotional investment in one of the passengers which may be a reason for the difference.

The thing about this particular incident is that they've got the CCTV in the stadium watching everyone walk to the chopper. They know at least some of those who were on there. They might not know who is who among the bodies if it's like that but they'll know survivors if any and should know roughly how many are dead. 

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah I saw it. Quite chilling indeed. 

The video of the helicopter leaving the ground like it would any other game was just as chilling I felt. The guys in the studio having a laid back joke, the groundsmen walking past completely oblivious to the size of this thing taking off, everybody (quite rightly) completely unaware of how a disaster can happen at any moment.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The video of the helicopter leaving the ground like it would any other game was just as chilling I felt. The guys in the studio having a laid back joke, the groundsmen walking past completely oblivious to the size of this thing taking off, everybody (quite rightly) completely unaware of how a disaster can happen at any moment.

You van see after the big bang the groundsmen running past clearly knowing something has happened but like you say, oblivious to the scale of the incident. 

• Subscriber

Sad news. May they RIP. I remember watching a video a bomb blast during a game and the sound was so loud that it was audible even on the online video I watched, can't imagine what went through everyone's minds when they first hear the crash then see a ball of fire go up into the sky. Shocking stuff.

@TheTakingVideosOfTheMoment post from before: This thing puzzles me too about how people are just ready to take videos of even the most catastrophic events. I'd be in shock and the last thing i'd reach for is my phone.

In an era where football club owners are generally accused of stripping lucrative premier league cash away from the club, Vichai and his family have been the complete opposite.

From little things like free beer and donuts, right up to the £2million donation to Leicester’s children hospital, Vichai has concerned himself with benefitting the community, rather than just taking. 

I think this is why this tragedy has had such an affect on all of Leicester fans in particular.  

• Subscriber

I have to agree. He wasn't absolutely perfect but he made a genuine effort to connect to the fanbase and people of the city and county. I probably didn't praise him enough because he's done a brilliant job at this club really, and measures should be taken at the club to really commemorate him because he deserves it in my eyes.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

I have to agree. He wasn't absolutely perfect but he made a genuine effort to connect to the fanbase and people of the city and county. I probably didn't praise him enough because he's done a brilliant job at this club really, and measures should be taken at the club to really commemorate him because he deserves it in my eyes.

I highly doubt your club will not go out of its way to ensure that he is remembered with high regard. These kinds of owners come by very rarely and it should be applauded and appreciated. Shame he had to go in the way he did but I hope his good work doesn't stop. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I highly doubt your club will not go out of its way to ensure that he is remembered with high regard. These kinds of owners come by very rarely and it should be applauded and appreciated. Shame he had to go in the way he did but I hope his good work doesn't stop. 

I'm sure we will. He didn't get everything right - I'm saying some of these things purely because I have been critical on occasion so I've got to be consistent, but given the performance of so many owners of a similar kind of ilk in this country, he's done a miraculous job and really did have high ambitions for the club. He oversaw the growth that saw this club get to the Premier League, then incredibly win the Premier League, get to the last eight of the Champions League - all things that just do not happen at a club like Leicester. His ambition was infectious and although things have been a bit sour lately, he's played a big part in building us up to something that people of Leicester/shire can be proud of.

I'm gutted it's had to go like this. It's a tragic day for the club, and probably the saddest in our history.

But we should celebrate them.

53 minutes ago, Dan said:

A special commemorative edition flavoured walkers crisp? :ph34r:

The Sun are reporting that the owner and four others have passed away. It goes without saying my thoughts and prayers are with all their families and friends during this horrendous period. I hope them and all the witnesses to this tragic incident get all the support they need.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7601124/leicester-city-helicopter-crash-owner-vichai-srivaddhanaprabha-dead/

9 hours ago, nudge said:

Well statistically speaking air travel IS much safer; regardless if you compare a total number of accidents, a number of accidents per distance traveled, or odds of getting involved in one during your lifetime. That said, aircraft crashes are obviously more deadly when they happen, both due to the conditions and the number of passengers on board. Also, that only applies for commercial flights as it has highly trained pilots, numerous safety measures, advanced traffic control systems and rigorous inspection schedules.  If you take private planes (general aviation) into account, then it's at least as dangerous as driving, mostly because people are fucking stupid and tend to overestimate themselves.

This just calmed me down a bit. But yes, the way I see it, there is a higher chance you'll survive a car crash than plane.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

The Sun are reporting that the owner and four others have passed away. It goes without saying my thoughts and prayers are with all their families and friends during this horrendous period. I hope them and all the witnesses to this tragic incident get all the support they need.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7601124/leicester-city-helicopter-crash-owner-vichai-srivaddhanaprabha-dead/

Article deleted and replaced with a "feared" dead one. Definitely some injunction going on.

6 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Article deleted and replaced with a "feared" dead one. Definitely some injunction going on.

I imagine there will be an injunction in place until formal identifications have taken place and the colission investigators are confident they know the total number of casualties. 

Archived