talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester Owners' Helicopter Crashes Outside Stadium

7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Regarding helicopters and cars, I know of somebody who works as an operator in a helicopter as a full time profession. Youd be amazed about how stringent every check is before flying. If there's any concerns about weather, wind, clouds, certain temperatures, potential technical malfunctions they just don't fly. If they're approved to fly, they are far more safer than over 95% of the cars on road.

I guess the fear with air transport is that in car crash most of the times its because of bad driving and people in control of the car. 

But with planes even after strict checking most crashes are because of an unexpected technical fault or circumstance that was not seen. Nothing much the pilot can do about it

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Yeah a car would be pretty safe if they were so expensive that you'd basically have the entire road to yourself.

In any case, it's a very sad occurrence, and if the fire started before the crash then it sounds more like mechanical fault than anything to do with how they were flying. I'd guess that if your aircraft catches fire, it doesn't really matter if you're 200 metres or 2000 metres above the ground.

Word is that it caught fire once it hit the ground. 

My guess is that something hit the blades, a drone or a bird (?) and then it's gone down, caught fire cos of the fuel on the engine and that was that. 

I still can't get over that it's happened. He wasn't only an owner of the club. He was a father, brother, husband. And he did so much for the city itself, donating millions of pounds to hospitals and charities. He somewhat brought the city together in owning the club and obviously played a massive part in how the club has performed in the last 7-8 years. 

16 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

People are just trying to be helpful.

Starting rumours about people that have died isn't helpful and isn't respectful towards the friends and families of the people involved or not involved.

1 hour ago, Berserker said:

I'm sorry Baloon but you went full retard. It's not about elitism, it's about avoiding traffic and saving time. And you can also die in a car crash for that matter too.

Of course it’s about avoiding traffic. It is elitist because it’s only accessible to those that can afford it. Helicopters and such are only ever used in urban areas when emergency services need to avoid traffic, not someone that wants to get home on time.  

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Don't buy into the whole "air transport" is safer myth. If you have a car crash you have a much better chance of survival than in a plane or car. 

They might be "safer" because of the open space up in the sky but it's an absolute myth that they are a safer mode of transport than a car. 

Well statistically speaking air travel IS much safer; regardless if you compare a total number of accidents, a number of accidents per distance traveled, or odds of getting involved in one during your lifetime. That said, aircraft crashes are obviously more deadly when they happen, both due to the conditions and the number of passengers on board. Also, that only applies for commercial flights as it has highly trained pilots, numerous safety measures, advanced traffic control systems and rigorous inspection schedules.  If you take private planes (general aviation) into account, then it's at least as dangerous as driving, mostly because people are fucking stupid and tend to overestimate themselves.

• Subscriber

Seeing this from the BBC report made me shudder, what if it had not cleared the stadium and fell onto the stadium roof with supporters still in the ground, phew.

"Witnesses said they saw it just clear the stadium before it spiralled out of control, with some describing seeing a fireball as it crashed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-46006470

• Administrator
1 minute ago, CaaC - John said:

Seeing this from the BBC report made me shudder, what if it had not cleared the stadium and fell onto the stadium roof with supporters still in the ground, phew.

"Witnesses said they saw it just clear the stadium before it spiralled out of control, with some describing seeing a fireball as it crashed."

I think a great deal of praise and admiration should be given to the pilot here, I personally would have little doubt that even while struggling to control the vehicle, he or she did what was necessary to avoid an even greater loss of life.

Just now, Marc said:

Starting rumours about people that have died isn't helpful and isn't respectful towards the friends and families of the people involved or not involved.

You made a joke against somebody that alleged a rape the other week. So let's not pretend that you're all for respecting others.

The members were trying to be helpful by furthering reports from overseas. I'm more concerned about the laws overseas that allow them to print stuff before next of kin can be informed than our members trying to be informative.

5 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

I saw a witness on there yesterday describe the scene and how affected everybody was before going on to say the Police asked him to stop recording because people may be trapped. Made me seize up that did. What kind of persons natural reaction is to film this given there could be people dieing.

4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You made a joke against somebody that alleged a rape the other week. So let's not pretend that you're all for respecting others.

The members were trying to be helpful by furthering reports from overseas. I'm more concerned about the laws overseas that allow them to print stuff before next of kin can be informed than our members trying to be informative.

It's not helpful as I said. You're pretty stupid if you think it's helpful.

• Subscriber
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

It's even worse than that; in most of SE Asia it's a normal occurrence for local media to publish uncensored graphic photos online right from the scenes of accidents/murders/suicides minutes after they happen; nobody cares about the privacy of the subjects or informing families first...

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Of course it’s about avoiding traffic. It is elitist because it’s only accessible to those that can afford it. Helicopters and such are only ever used in urban areas when emergency services need to avoid traffic, not someone that wants to get home on time.  

If we are using that logic then cars, public transport and most things in life are also elitist, since they are also only accessible to those that can afford them. Not true neither, they are also used as a means of transport by both civilians and military. 

22 minutes ago, Berserker said:

If we are using that logic then cars, public transport and most things in life are also elitist, since they are also only accessible to those that can afford them. Not true neither, they are also used as a means of transport by both civilians and military. 

Look... I wasn’t looking to start anything controversial and just stating a point of the dangers involved where masses of people congregate.

The whole scenario is tragic. 

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Look... I wasn’t looking to start anything controversial and just stating a point of the dangers involved where masses of people congregate.

The whole scenario is tragic. 

Fair enough, but that does not mean i won't fly a remote control helicopter through your chippy just to scare your customers away and piss the fuck out of you. :P

• Subscriber

Let us all calm down and pay respect to the ones that lost their lives and left bereaving loved ones behind, R.I.P. whoever died in the crash and my and the wife's thoughts go out to all the bereaved loved ones that were left behind.  

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Don't you buy expensive clothes just because they are expensive? 

49 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Shouldn't be taking this long. I suspect "press releases" must be coordinated for stock market and business purposes.

Didn’t want to be the one to say it, but I think you’re bang on. If it was Joe Smith with his family on a pleasure ride, they’d have been identified in hours. I’m not tin foil hatter usually, but something just doesn’t seem right with the delay of official information coming through. Not like I’m particular arsed like, we’ll find out when we find out.

Archived