talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

football forum

The Simpsons is going to drop Indian character Apu following a backlash against alleged racial stereotyping, a producer has claimed.

Advertisement

Kwik-E-Mart owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon will be quietly written out of the long-running TV cartoon series to "avoid the controversy", Adi Shankar said.

The Indian-American producer said he was told by two people who work on the show and a third source who works with creator Matt Groening.

Shankar said he was disappointed with the decision, having launched a contest in April for the public to help write a script which transformed Apu from a bad stereotype into "a realistic portrayal of Indians in America".

"I got some disheartening news back, that I've verified from multiple sources now: They're going to drop the Apu character altogether," he told IndieWire.

"They aren't going to make a big deal out of it, or anything like that, but they'll drop him altogether just to avoid the controversy."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better drop Homer as well as he’s a thick fat white guy with little work ethic.

Better drop Marge for being the stereotypical mum who doesn’t work, panders to her children and turns to drink every now and again.

Better drop for Groundskeeper Willy for being a stereotypical kilt wearing jock with a terrible accent and being a drunk deviant (rowdy roddy peeper).

This list goes on. Fuck this world.

If anyone thinks the Apu issue was a genuine problem can you let me know? I really want to understand the mindset of how someone can see this as a problem in the world that needed attention. I struggle to comprehend that a substantial minority could exist that took this view....

It's actually the perfect illustration of how out of touch the simpsons is that they caved to the pressure. 

Imagine Rick and Morty, big mouth, southpark or archer responding to this? 

Call it a day lads ffs. You've devalued the legacy of the show for the benefit of extending the longest running record.... They should have stopped at the end of #10. 

• Subscriber

To be honest, I would rather watch Buggs Bunny, Daffy Duck and one of my favourites Foghorn Leghorn than The Simpsons but that's just me, the wife son & daughter have always watched and liked the Simpsons so I guess it all depends on the individuals likes and dislikes. 

When The Simpsons first came out I watched the first few shows as just a matter of interest but after that, the shows went on the back-burner for me, when I saw the heading of this thread Apu Nahasapeemapetilon I looked out of pure interest then saw...The Simpsons, end of story for me.  

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Harry said:

It's actually the perfect illustration of how out of touch the simpsons is that they caved to the pressure. 

Imagine Rick and Morty, big mouth, southpark or archer responding to this? 

Call it a day lads ffs. You've devalued the legacy of the show for the benefit of extending the longest running record.... They should have stopped at the end of #10. 

Haha xD 

Archived