talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

NHL Season 2018/19

football forum

7 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

As polarizing as Torts time was here in Van he was honest, and always gave thoughtful interviews came across really well Imo. I loved the story of revitalizing his career in Columbus and them shitting all over Tampa in the first round what a story that would be if they could pull it off. Either way you're right it's someone relatively uncrowded, even SJ they've been knocking on the door for years but haven't gotten there.

I'd be perfectly happy with Columbus or Sharks winning it. Two likable teams, and after Ovi finally won last year, it's time those Sharks legend get one. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh - Boston wins and goes to the Conference Finals...

Avs score in OT to score a game 7 with the Sharks. 

Hurricanes are already in the conference finals. 

Tonight is Game 7 between Stars and Blues. 

On 11/05/2019 at 17:03, Gunnersauraus said:

@Eco the world championships are on. Do the Americans and Canadians take their best players?

Fuck no. Stanley Cup > World Championships

Finland have won the ice hockey world cup beating Canada 3.1 in the final. I think ice hockey is the most popular sport in both countries so glad those two made it to the final.  But I would imagine Finland take it more seriously so happy for them

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Congratulate your 2019 stanley cup champions St Louis Blues. Was a great playoffs overall some excellent hockey played, including the finals going to 7 games. The most important take Away in my humble opinion was the Bruins losing - get fucked nerds.

Inject this image straight into my veins.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

So a little backstory; One of the Canucks beat writers Jason Botchford passed away of a sudden heart failure over the summer in his home. He was in his late 40's I want to say and he is survived by his wife and two young kids. He became popular in the last 5-10 years for doing a blog style write up late nights after games where he would have some behind the scenes stories, dissect plays with gifs and highlight litle things durring the game, he would rag on players or pick fights with media members he would throw dirt and shade, they where very enjoyable off the cuff style reads with swearing and spelling mistakes and late night bingers.

So last year he spear headed the Canucks Atheltic branch and it exploded after he made the change from a local newspaper. He did regular radio hits over the years and had a popular podcast, I personally was a big fan and even went to a couple of his live podcast recordings over the years so it was a big loss when this basically came out of nowhere. Alot of people said alot of great things about him in the following week and there was a huge successful gofund me page for his widow and kids and even a group effort to put his name on a park bench near the arena downtown. 

This is something I just heard about today and I think its a fantastic tribute to him and I love hearing things like this when teams and the community and companies all get involved to keep his memory going. The canucks just announced today "The Botchford Project" which awards a mentorship experience to 10 aspiring hockey writers every season. basically the team allows access to morning skates, pre and post game press conferences to get some experience and possibly a break through into the industry. They will after that night put together an article that will be posted on Canucks. Com and will get help with said article from current Canucks beat reporters. Jason was very well known for taking the time to help young writers and aspiring personalities whenever he could and this is a great way to carry on his legacy. His wife will be involved in the selection proccess once the applicants are narrowed down as well as his podcast partner and former employers at the Athetlic. 

Anyways I didnt know where to share all this so I figured this is as good a spot as any. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b174eb25a77baa8e1c6d3834a118410a.png

Petr Cech: Ex-Chelsea and Arsenal goalkeeper joins ice hockey team Guildford Phoenix

Former Chelsea and Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech has swapped grass for ice by signing for National Ice Hockey League team Guildford Phoenix as a goaltender.

The Czech, a big fan of the sport, has got his skates on after working on his game since retiring from football.

"I hope I can help this young team achieve their goals," Cech, 37, said.

"After 20 years of professional football, this is going to be a wonderful experience for me to play the game I loved to watch and play as a kid."

Cech, who arrived in Britain in 2004 having signed for the Blues, adopted top-flight Elite Ice Hockey League side Guildford Flames as his team.

Guildford Phoenix plays in the second tier of British ice hockey.

Cech, who made 124 appearances for the Czech Republic, won four Premier League titles, five FA Cups, three League Cups, the Champions League and Europa League during his time as a footballer in England.

He will be the Phoenix's third-choice keeper and will train when his Chelsea schedule allows.

Posting on Twitter on Wednesday night after the announcement, he said: "Some people seem to think I've changed my job. No, I didn't.

"Luckily my job at Chelsea doesn't stop me in my spare time from playing the game I loved as a kid and which I've been playing for years. While being a professional footballer I couldn't play the game for obvious reasons. Now I can."

Andy Hemmings, Guildford's head coach, said: "The signing of Petr is massive for the Phoenix, he is a great guy who trains hard and I cannot wait to see him make his debut."

Guildford Phoenix faces Swindon Wildcats 2 in their next National Ice Hockey League fixture on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/49993462

Archived