Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Angela Merkel

I have always called her 'The Maggie Thatcher of Germany', she has been around a long time. :ay:

Angela Merkel to step down as German chancellor in 2021

Germany's Angela Merkel has said she will step down as chancellor in 2021, following recent election setbacks.

"I will not be seeking any political post after my term ends," she told a news conference in Berlin.

She also said she would not seek re-election as leader of the centre-right CDU party in December. She has held the post since 2000.

The CDU was severely weakened in Sunday's poll in the state of Hesse, the latest in a series of setbacks.

Both the CDU and its coalition partners, the Social Democrats, were 10 percentage points down on the previous poll there - even though they remain in power in Hesse.

(More in link)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46020745

tenor.gif?itemid=8016390

Then again, I don't have much hope for a successor that will be good for the country, unless the SPD gets their shit together, and evaluates the leading positions within the party. 

On 29/10/2018 at 14:47, Tommy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8016390

Then again, I don't have much hope for a successor that will be good for the country, unless the SPD gets their shit together, and evaluates the leading positions within the party. 

I am not much into politics but must be interesting days ahead in Germany.

_103837768_bavaria_pollsv3-nc.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45867998

Edited by CaaC (John)
Restore photo

Hell yeah!

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 16:07, Tommy said:

Hell yeah!

What is the common perception if Merkel? Is she in power because she is backed by strong lobbyists (gas, mining, banks, etc)? Is she Merkel the best choice out of weak candidates? Or is she perceived as a strong leader that has brought Germany forward?

The only thing I really know is that her party’s ease on immigration to artificially inflate the economy by importing cheap foreign labour has been seen as controversial.

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2020 at 18:29, Spike said:

What is the common perception if Merkel? Is she in power because she is backed by strong lobbyists (gas, mining, banks, etc)? Is she Merkel the best choice out of weak candidates? Or is she perceived as a strong leader that has brought Germany forward?

The only thing I really know is that her party’s ease on immigration to artificially inflate the economy by importing cheap foreign labour has been seen as controversial.

She's normally perceived as a calm and prudent politician, who skillfully understands to make compromises between conflicting interests and German factions. She's credited for steering the German nation through the worldwide financial crisis without them having to accept too harsh losses and stabilizing the standard of living in Germany, I admit, that sounds a bit boring but is exactly, what the electorate was looking for. Her being chancellor for so long is partly due to her undisputed skill to eliminate opposition (both that from other parties as well as that within CDU/CSU) by making her strategy look as the only plausible one. 

By the way, who thinks there is a strong mining lobby in Germany is as wrong as they could possibly be.

From here she is looking like the (acting) leader of the free world, in the absence of a responsible US president.

• Upvote 1

What? Germany has the third highest number of billionaires after US and China :o

Looks like it's much more of a capitalist society then it looks

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Azeem said:

What? Germany has the third highest number of billionaires after US and China :o

Looks like it's much more of a capitalist society then it looks

How is that a surprise? Germany has the fourth biggest GDP worldwide after the US, China, and Japan.

10 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

How is that a surprise? Germany has the fourth biggest GDP worldwide after the US, China, and Japan.

I thought Germany and Europe in general has strict laws about monopoly, earning too much etc