talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Politics

football forum

• Subscriber

I have always called her 'The Maggie Thatcher of Germany', she has been around a long time. :ay:

Angela Merkel to step down as German chancellor in 2021

Germany's Angela Merkel has said she will step down as chancellor in 2021, following recent election setbacks.

"I will not be seeking any political post after my term ends," she told a news conference in Berlin.

She also said she would not seek re-election as leader of the centre-right CDU party in December. She has held the post since 2000.

The CDU was severely weakened in Sunday's poll in the state of Hesse, the latest in a series of setbacks.

Both the CDU and its coalition partners, the Social Democrats, were 10 percentage points down on the previous poll there - even though they remain in power in Hesse.

(More in link)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46020745

• Subscriber
On 29/10/2018 at 14:47, Tommy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8016390

Then again, I don't have much hope for a successor that will be good for the country, unless the SPD gets their shit together, and evaluates the leading positions within the party. 

I am not much into politics but must be interesting days ahead in Germany.

_103837768_bavaria_pollsv3-nc.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45867998

Edited by CaaC (John)
Restore photo

• 1 year later...
On 30/05/2020 at 16:07, Tommy said:

Hell yeah!

What is the common perception if Merkel? Is she in power because she is backed by strong lobbyists (gas, mining, banks, etc)? Is she Merkel the best choice out of weak candidates? Or is she perceived as a strong leader that has brought Germany forward?

The only thing I really know is that her party’s ease on immigration to artificially inflate the economy by importing cheap foreign labour has been seen as controversial.

On 01/06/2020 at 18:29, Spike said:

What is the common perception if Merkel? Is she in power because she is backed by strong lobbyists (gas, mining, banks, etc)? Is she Merkel the best choice out of weak candidates? Or is she perceived as a strong leader that has brought Germany forward?

The only thing I really know is that her party’s ease on immigration to artificially inflate the economy by importing cheap foreign labour has been seen as controversial.

She's normally perceived as a calm and prudent politician, who skillfully understands to make compromises between conflicting interests and German factions. She's credited for steering the German nation through the worldwide financial crisis without them having to accept too harsh losses and stabilizing the standard of living in Germany, I admit, that sounds a bit boring but is exactly, what the electorate was looking for. Her being chancellor for so long is partly due to her undisputed skill to eliminate opposition (both that from other parties as well as that within CDU/CSU) by making her strategy look as the only plausible one. 

By the way, who thinks there is a strong mining lobby in Germany is as wrong as they could possibly be.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

21 minutes ago, Azeem said:

What? Germany has the third highest number of billionaires after US and China :o

Looks like it's much more of a capitalist society then it looks

How is that a surprise? Germany has the fourth biggest GDP worldwide after the US, China, and Japan.

10 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

How is that a surprise? Germany has the fourth biggest GDP worldwide after the US, China, and Japan.

I thought Germany and Europe in general has strict laws about monopoly, earning too much etc

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

German election day. What are we saying @Tommy and friends?

Looks like the two biggest parties are level, with the SPD slightly infront. Hopefully it will be enough in the end to get rid of the CDU in the government. Right-wing party AfD with less percentage than in the last election, which is good. Their followers are already claming fraud. xD

Will be an interesting few weeks (at least ) until we'll know who will be forming the new government. Union/Grüne/FDP is as possible as SPD/Grüne/FDP- with the enviromentalst obviously favoring a coalition with SPD while the neo-liberal FDP would prefer a coalition with the Union. Will be intriguing to see which one of the middle sized parties get their preferred coalition partners as these are the only possible alternatives to another SPD/Union grand coalition, which would be led by a socialdemocratic chancellor this time.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I am a bit jealous that the German electoral system forces the larger political parties to always have an open mind to working with each other while the far left and far right parties can never claim that they aren't fairly represented because they are supported by such clear minorities. There's always the fraud arguments I guess.

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to German Politics
28 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Are you guys happy with the new government and the centre-left party being the largest? I mean I suppose the election results sort of answer that question but is there a feeling of optimism?

Pretty optimistic. The best thing is that the CDU is in opposition now, so on paper it's at least not "more of the same". Very happy with the appointment of Karl Lauterbach as minister of health. He has been one of the most promiment figures during the pandemic, because he always warned against Covid and it's effects. He's an extremely hated figure with anti-vaxxers, general Covid deniers/downplayers and right-wingers, so they are furious with this appointment. 

But we'll see in the next few months and years if they keep their word and make things better. 

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

About fucking time!

Interesting to see how it's quite the contrast to what's happening in America right now. 

I'm glad I live here, and not there. 😬

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Interesting to see how it's quite the contrast to what's happening in America right now. 

I'm glad I live here, and not there. 😬

To be fair calling informations on abortions promotion like the paragraphes in question do is ridiculous. CDU governments always justified their existence with the claim abortions would be legal only advertisements for them were illegal. Honestly: what did they expect - " Abortions get two pay one" ads from gynecologists?

• Haha 2