talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James McClean Poppy Thread 2018

Its his choice shorly. If he feels it represents all British conflicts including ones where Irish people were shot and he chooses not to where it that is up to him

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's been warned for using a naughty word on social media. 

I genuinely don't know why professional players even bother reaching out to people on social media any more. The concept of behind Twitter is great, and it was great when it launched but its been hijacked by idiots that develop a larger than life personality when there faceless and its only the poor souls in respectable professions face that get held accountable and face reprisals.

• Subscriber

45461908_10156839243877855_6503215733281

45537551_10156839244187855_6610714920705

Show Racism the Red Card and the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland (PFAI) want investigations into "anti-Irish" abuse aimed at Hibs boss Neil Lennon and Stoke's James McClean.

McClean has been abused for refusing to wear a poppy while Lennon got death threats as a Northern Ireland player.

"We call on the FA and SFA to investigate all incidents of anti-Irish discrimination," the groups said.

They added that the associations should have a "more robust" approach to abuse.

The joint statement was made on Tuesday by Show Racism the Red Card (UK and Ireland branches) and the PFAI.

It follows a Football Association warning to Republic of Ireland McClean over his use of an offensive word in a social media post.

McClean used the word in a post where he spoke of abuse he has received over refusing to wear a poppy and in which he called some Stoke fans "cavemen".

45572565_10156839244442855_7698768554987

"Racism on the basis of color, nationality, religion or ethnicity is not acceptable and all within the game have a responsibility to respond appropriately," the groups said.

"James McClean has stood in solidarity with team-mates who have experienced racism and spoken out.

"We stand in solidarity with James McClean, Neil Lennon and all those who experience racism.

"We also call on both associations to invest funding in anti-Irish education to help both supporters and young people understand the dangers and the impact of racism."

• Subscriber

If you can call this racism or not we as a family emigrated to Australia when I was young and Australians called the English Pom's, I grew up being called a Pommy Bastard many a time but just got on with life out there...and a few fights for calling me a Pommy Bastard.  xD

People are weirdly overprotective of the poppy and what they think it symbolises, which isn’t always it’s true meaning. I feel like it’s been “claimed” by some sections of football match attendees and some sections of society, those two probably merge somewhere, as some sort of ultra patriotic symbol that must be honoured and worn by everyone to show their Englishness and patriotism, almost in a competitive way. 

I wonder if these people scream profanities in the faces of people on the street who aren’t wearing a poppy? 

Is it racist that The FA have warned James McClean for abusing some people on Twitter? Nope. His non-wearing of a poppy is viewed sensitively (it doesn’t mean he’s wrong) here in England and I’m sure he suffered some pretty horrific abuse on Saturday but he shouldn’t be retailiating, even from the comfort of social media, due to the nature of the scenario and he should be reminded of his professional duties. 

• Administrator

Saw a picture on Twitter of a knobhead with a Nazi swastika tattoo on his neck and also wearing a poppy.

One hell of a juxtaposition and hypocritical stance there xD. Wear something to honour those who died in the fight against Nazism, yet honour Nazism with a tattoo like that. How conflicted must you be to do that xD 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Saw a picture on Twitter of a knobhead with a Nazi swastika tattoo on his neck and also wearing a poppy.

One hell of a juxtaposition and hypocritical stance there xD. Wear something to honour those who died in the fight against Nazism, yet honour Nazism with a tattoo like that. How conflicted must you be to do that xD 

This one, bloody idiot.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Proper Yer Da, that. 

Had to look 'Yer Da' up then in Google as I did not have a clue what it meant lol.

Seen that on Facebook so I thought I would just post it in here, me being an ex-army man and seeing things on tours of duty concerning war and the carnage that it can do I would really like to keep the wearing of a poppy as my thoughts only and all I will say is when poppy day arrives my wife will remind me and buy two poppies for us both, otherwise I would forget and not bother, war is evil. 

James McClean has been disciplined by Stoke after he called a section of the club's fans "uneducated cavemen".

McClean's post on Instagram came after he was verbally abused by some home supporters during the Championship clash with Middlesbrough last weekend over his refusal to wear a Remembrance Day poppy on his shirt.

A statement on the Stoke website read: "Stoke City's investigation into James McClean's social media post following last Saturday's game against Middlesbrough has concluded and the player has been dealt with under the terms of the club's disciplinary procedure."

In a statement of his own to Stoke supporters, McClean, an Irish Catholic who has faced persistent abuse for his poppy stance, gave a qualified apology.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why? 

As Tony Pulis once said of him "he's not the sharpest tool in the box"

A lot of his on field behaviour is chavvy. For him to call others uneducated cavemen is a good one.

When he first came on the scene at Sunderland he very quickly became part of a select group of derby day dickwads. Some of the mongs he would later fall out with were precisely the lot he would play up to and fall in with.

On 07/11/2018 at 11:50, CaaC - John said:

Had to look 'Yer Da' up then in Google as I did not have a clue what it meant lol.

Seen that on Facebook so I thought I would just post it in here, me being an ex-army man and seeing things on tours of duty concerning war and the carnage that it can do I would really like to keep the wearing of a poppy as my thoughts only and all I will say is when poppy day arrives my wife will remind me and buy two poppies for us both, otherwise I would forget and not bother, war is evil. 

Smiley is a snarky little fanny, I’d just ignore him. Every post just screams of the totalitarian inside him screaming to get out. 

On 07/11/2018 at 23:23, Panna King said:

I refuse to wear one also as it reminds me of the first Boer war :( 

What do the Dutch do? Genuinely curious when you’re armistice day? 

I find it strange that football clubs feel they have to do a remembrance at the nearest home game to armistice day. for some clubs that was ages ago and about 10 days away from Armistice day. It all just seems a bit fake, contrived and football clubs feeling they have to tick a box. 

Armistice 'day' has lasted for a fortnight this year.

8 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Cheers but he hopefully will tell me if it’s a big deal or not etc. 

6 hours ago, Marc said:

I find it strange that football clubs feel they have to do a remembrance at the nearest home game to armistice day. for some clubs that was ages ago and about 10 days away from Armistice day. It all just seems a bit fake, contrived and football clubs feeling they have to tick a box. 

Armistice 'day' has lasted for a fortnight this year.

Clubs do it because they lost players & staff, each wants to mark that themselves really. I think half a dozen players didn’t make it back to us. We were arguably the biggest club in the world pre war to, we cashed in stocks to contribute and buy an ambulance, trenches we’re named after us (Yes I’ve watched the history of Aston Villa a few times). 

I’d find it bizarre if a club didn’t mark its sacrifices and those of its members tbh. 

WW1 is probably the biggest tradegy to befall mankind, the ramifications of the idiocy of the conflict are still being felt now, and will most probably still be felt for the next century. Armistice day won’t go anywhere soon. 

Plus It’s the centenary year so it’s been a bigger thing. 

22 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Smiley is a snarky little fanny, I’d just ignore him. Every post just screams of the totalitarian inside him screaming to get out. 

What do the Dutch do? Genuinely curious when you’re armistice day? 

We have Remembrance on the 4th May and  liberation day 5th May and yeah it is a big thing and lots of celebrations around the Country.  Plus a lot of the old War Vets mostly from Canada are invited back every year and in Arnhem the British Airborne Division are invited back, it's a very special occasion.

21 hours ago, Panna King said:

We have Remembrance on the 4th May and  liberation day 5th May and yeah it is a big thing and lots of celebrations around the Country.  Plus a lot of the old War Vets mostly from Canada are invited back every year and in Arnhem the British Airborne Division are invited back, it's a very special occasion.

My mates who served have visited Arnhem celebrations while on duty. The Menin gate in Belgium is another big one

Archived