• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 3rd November, 2018

football forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

West Ham and Burnley having a mad one. Anderson scoring twice in a 4-2 win for the hosts.

Newcastle and Leicester look set to hold onto 1-0 wins.

Very accomplished performance from us to beat Brighton 3-1. Could easily have been more.

• Administrator

Proud of everyone at the club, today. Players, staff, fans. Everyone associated with the club who have dealt with everything this morning in some desperately tough circumstances.

We won and got 3 points and although that was nice but given the circumstances it didn't really matter. There are more important matters at hand for the players/staff at the club, who go straight to Thailand from Cardiff airport tonight.

After a slow-ish start, the players grew in to the game and you could see how much this game meant to them and how much they wanted to try and get the points for Vichai. Didn't really give Cardiff a sniff apart from 2 long range shots one of which hit the bar. Vardy could have wrapped it up late on and still unsure as to what Lee Probert saw. And thought it was quite harsh for him to book Gray for taking his shirt off after he scored. Anyway, this game wasn't about the referee. 

Three points for you, Vichai.

• The topic was unpinned

The fans were great for the team. No protests, no Mike Ashley chants, just the support for the team Rafa asked for. The Gallowgate sucked the ball into the back of the net in the 2nd half.

Probably didn't deserve to win but we do deserve some luck as we've had fuck all this season. That's what was needed for the first win.

We were getting fucked down our right all first half. Lascelles, Muto and Shelvey all went off injured. 2nd half not so much but Watford were always a threat, their finishing was naff though. I believe of their 16 shots only 1 was on target.

Ki changed the game. Great performance from him.

There's hope yet. Out of the bottom 3, at least til Monday night.

• Subscriber

To add a bit of a review to our match.

That was probably the most complete performance from us under Silva. It's only Brighton sure but you can still analyse the underlying performance level and I think all eleven players were very good and did their jobs today, with some stand outs. The only lull in our performance was between the Brighton equaliser and half time where we didn't seem to know how to get the momentum back. Aside from that I'd say we took the game by the scruff of the neck from the kick off until we scored, and we dominated throughout the second half.

Pickford didn't have a lot to do and couldn't have done much about the goal. Zouma lost his man a bit for their equaliser but it was more good attacking than bad defending, otherwise he is improving all of the time and was noticeable today in his ball playing ability which I've not noticed before. Keane alongside was rock solid again as was Digne at left back who also offered an outlet going forward. Coleman aside from goal looked more fired up than I've seen since his comeback game against Leicester. His celebration made it very clear he was out to silence his critics today and he did so, he was everywhere in attack and defence and scored a cracking goal.

It's only been three games but negotiating a permanent deal for Andre Gomes already looks a priority. Such a good player on the ball and he along with Gueye totally dominated the midfield today. That area of the pitch has been a problem for us this season so I hesitate to say that it's sorted now with these two in there after just three performances but the signs are very good. Sigurdsson saw a lot of the ball and generally used it well and provided a nice assist for the opening goal, but I would mark him down slightly for missing some early chances and a few wayward passes in the final third.

Walcott started really well, but tailed off a bit in the second half. Not a bad performance. Bernard was a bit better, played an important role in the opening goal and generally showed his quality for the sixty minutes he spent on the field. Finally, Richarlison scored two very well taken goals and while it's a lazy choice he was my man of the match. He has had a few quiet games for us but he's 21 and we have to accept that he's not going to perform like today week in week out. Today he was excellent and his second goal showed so many different qualities, already on 6 goals this season, we've managed to bring a real gem of a footballer to the club.

Best make the most of it because God knows I'll be bitching and moaning about our limitations again this time next week after we give Chelsea a decent game but ultimately lose.

Can't believe MOTD put Leicester 2nd in the running order. It should have been first and nothing less. To put it behind a drab 1-1 draw between 2 big clubs that we all watched on tv anyway is disrespectful.

Better to have not bothered giving the Leicester game any preference for the tragedy than to give it 2nd place.

Oh hey guys we are bumping your game with Cardiff up the schedule because your owner died outside the ground last week in a terrible accident, it's more important than the other games but not as important as Arsenal playing Liverpool. :dam:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Can't believe MOTD put Leicester 2nd in the running order. It should have been first and nothing less. To put it behind a drab 1-1 draw between 2 big clubs that we all watched on tv anyway is disrespectful.

Better to have not bothered giving the Leicester game any preference for the tragedy than to give it 2nd place.

Oh hey guys we are bumping your game with Cardiff up the schedule because your owner died outside the ground last week in a terrible accident, it's more important than the other games but not as important as Arsenal playing Liverpool. :dam:

I was very surprised by it at the time but in the end, found myself not really caring because of what happened. 

Thought Kasper handled himself very professionally though, as he has done all week. He seemed to have the closest relationship out of all the players with Vichai and has therefore maybe felt it more than others as visibly seen today. The way he spoke and what he said with Lineker was all bang on. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Thought Kasper handled himself very professionally though, as he has done all week. He seemed to have the closest relationship out of all the players with Vichai and has therefore maybe felt it more than others as visibly seen today. The way he spoke and what he said with Lineker was all bang on. 

Aye, he admitted he was shaking before the game commenced.

"Kasper Schmeichel 'shaking' before emotional Leicester win in honour of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46086346

Lee Probert was put in a difficult position by Demarai Gray and the laws state it’s a yellow card so he had to give it really. There’s a video out there of Probert’s face when Gray ran past with his shirt off and he knows what he’s got to do but he doesn’t really want to. 

I’m sure we all, Probert included, knew that some form of tribute was likely if Leicester scored but there wasn’t a lot that could be done to ensure players weren’t punished. You can’t go asking for dispensation not to get given cards.

It’s a bit daft the whole rule about players taking their shirts off and getting a yellow for it but it is the rules so it does have to be abided by, unfortunately. 

• Subscriber

That was an emotional, but proud day to call yourself a Leicester fan. I had a feeling they would really dig deep for a victory yesterday and it's exactly what they did. While Cardiff aren't exactly a great side, they do pose you a threat and I thought we dealt with it largely very well.

It was a pretty scrappy, edgy game as you'd imagine but we came through it with a win at a ground we never seem to win at, and an end of the game which I haven't seen quite that connection between players and fans since the title win - a complete anomaly in this league.

There was no better way to tribute to Vichai than winning yesterday.

Every single one of those players can be hugely proud of themselves.

Really liking the look of the Everton team now. It will take time still to properly gel as there have been so many changes to the team/the way they play but in Gomes, Richarlison, Bernard, Sigurdsson they have some very good technical and skillful players. 

Also, Arnautovic showed a real lack of class yesterday albeit against the dingles. Celebrating in front of certain players and goading them. No need for it even with the emotion involved. He is on the end of some poor tackles but the best way to answer that is to score goals and show some class by celebrating with your teammates/the fans. 

1 minute ago, roversgirl said:

Really liking the look of the Everton team now. It will take time still to properly gel as there have been so many changes to the team/the way they play but in Gomes, Richarlison, Bernard, Sigurdsson they have some very good technical and skillful players. 

You can see Silva is beginning to get them playing how he liked. I maintain he's a very good manager who the players love, he took us down but we put up a magnificent fight with some decent football being played along the way. Everton just need to start being competitive against the better sides, they've got Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs all before Xmas. I hope they can pick up at least one victory out of them and make themselves formidable for any team they play.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Lee Probert was put in a difficult position by Demarai Gray and the laws state it’s a yellow card so he had to give it really. There’s a video out there of Probert’s face when Gray ran past with his shirt off and he knows what he’s got to do but he doesn’t really want to. 

I’m sure we all, Probert included, knew that some form of tribute was likely if Leicester scored but there wasn’t a lot that could be done to ensure players weren’t punished. You can’t go asking for dispensation not to get given cards.

It’s a bit daft the whole rule about players taking their shirts off and getting a yellow for it but it is the rules so it does have to be abided by, unfortunately. 

Completely agree with this. Only stick Probert should be taking yesterday is for that Bamba incident. You could tell by the reaction of our players, and the subsequent lack of biting back from their players and their fans goading us about us rather than booing, that it was clearly a penalty. Horrendous decision, for the second away game running.

Like the whole world and his wife I was happy to see Leicester win on Saturday. The tragedy aside, Claude Puel has formed one of the most likeable sides in the league. The Premier League could do with another Southampton or Swansea and Leicester could be that side. It's a shame that they didn't sign Patrick Roberts really as Roberts, Maddison and Gray behind Vardy is an attacking line that everybody would get behind.

Everton seem to be clicking too and with their new signings finally getting game time they're only going to get better. Whilst I don't think they have the individual quality that Arsenal have, they definitely have the team depth to cause problems. As the season progresses youd like to think a lot of their young players will get better over time with a manager who appears to be a good modern day coach.

I was going to start a thread about Felipe Anderson's slow start to West Ham so it's only right he played really well against Burnley before I could do it. Given how organised Burnley were last season it's weird to see them let goals in left, right and centre regularly. I guess that's what happens when you have a board that take for granted what the manager is doing.

The biggest surprise I guess was seeing Newcastle beat Watford. The last thing we need is Rafa turning Newcastle good again. That said, it's pleasing to see all this bollocks about Watford doing a Leicester because they started well is dead in the water.

Archived