The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 3-1 Crystal Palace - Sunday 4th November, 2018

football forum

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

What you make of Morata 

Better recently of course. Perhaps stating the obvious but he's a player that plays well when he's scoring goals as he doesn't offer an awful lot with other parts of his game. His movement has improved recently as well though which does benefit those around him and something that has perhaps coincided with this is that we're finding him a lot more often and hence playing to his strengths a bit more. Maybe this is something that has been worked on in training. Type of player that relies heavily on service, was the case at Madrid as well and he isn't Drogba or Costa who can create something out of nothing. I'll say it for the millionth time but confidence and mentality seems to be paramount to his game, wouldn't be surprised to see him go on a lengthy and significant run again this season without scoring, up and down is definitely one way of describing him. It's nice to have the variety in attack with Morata and Giroud though who both offer different characteristics that suit different moments. Not saying we don't need to find a prolific striker by the way.

Maybe Sarri can sort Morata out who knows. Another positive thing about Morata today was that he didn't sulk as much either which again goes back to mentality as that seems to come out more when things aren't going his way. Morata has always had the air of good potential about him but at the same time that air of calamity as well, that negative side is eeriely similar to the feelings Torres used to provoke. Seems to finish better when having to play on instinct and when he hasn't got time to think, the chance he had in the dying moments today perhaps sums him up nicely in that regard. That was a dreadful finish at the end there in my eyes. xD

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Maybe Sarri can sort Morata out who knows.

I can remember when United was after Morata and it all went ape-shit and he ended up at Chelsea but I do think Sari can get the best out of him, at least he is honest when he talks about Morata...

Alvaro Morata is "fragile" and "needs to improve" despite scoring two goals in the win against Crystal Palace, says Blues boss Maurizio Sarri.

The Spanish forward inspired the Blues to a win which took them above Liverpool into second spot in the Premier League table.

Morata has netted 14 times in 40 Premier League appearances since joining from Real Madrid for a then club record £60m in July 2017.

Asked after the match whether Morata can be the main striker at Chelsea, Sarri told BBC Sport: "I don't know. I think potentially he can.

"He has to improve more in personality and in confidence because sometimes he's a little bit fragile."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46007193

Kind of went as expected really. I was happy with our combatitive nature for most of the fixture but at the end of the day their class prevailed. The important thing we take from this game is that we do not show such defensive naivety when go up against teams in the bottom half of the table.

I was impressed with Chelsea. Definitely the best team we have played this season. They were better than Liverpool and far, far more superior than Arsenal. There positional play, attitude, distance covered, passing, movement etc. was all excellent. Alvaro Morata really should be scoring more goals if they pass it in to the area and work low crosses every game because his positional play was excellent.

On to the next one for us. A season of nothingness awaits really. We shot ourselves in the foot by dropping points to Southampton, Watford, Newcastle etc. and we should have enough about us to avoid the bottom three. Given the ambition shown in the summer by signing Max Meyer that's really dissapointing.

Tough game as expected, since Palace always puts up a good fight. Our opening 15 minutes were poor, we improved in the final 15 min of the half and got the goal. As is the scenario this season we usually concede at least once with the high back line. I thought it would be much harder to get the win from there but with Hazard and Kovačić coming on we looked refreshed and got the second and third. Pleased with the win and the performance. Every player doing his bit this season.

Palace on a hell shit storm of fixtures in their next three

Someone who has to tell you multiple times that they were at the game, probably weren't at the game.

Look through this thread and you will all see a certain person open their post after every Chelsea game with ...  "I was at the game and have also watched a recording".

I'm inclined to think that he's talking absolute bollocks and really watched the highlights on MOTD.

46 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Someone who has to tell you multiple times that they were at the game, probably weren't at the game.

Look through this thread and you will all see a certain person open their post after every Chelsea game with ...  "I was at the game and have also watched a recording".

I'm inclined to think that he's talking absolute bollocks and really watched the highlights on MOTD.

I can vouch for him, for I too was at the game.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Spike said:

I can vouch for him, for I too was at the game.

I couldn’t make it unfortunately as I was at Villarreal to see my Levante boys concede a 93rd minute equaliser :( 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

22 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I was at the game and so was my wife.

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

But seriously I was at the game.

Hmmmmmm

Thought Palace started well in this which in part accounted for our slower start... It's not that we were slow but more about how Palace were going about their game that was hindering us.. They started aggressively and with a high tempo and when I say aggressive I don't mean the kick us all around the park type aggressive but more with determination.. Took us a while to get to grips with that before coming out and imposing ourselves a bit more.. 

Both surprised and pleased with our start this season, this has been better than I might have expected, thought it might take a little while longer to settle into the Sarri style before stringing together some semi decent results.. Must be said though we have had a favorable run of fixtures which has helped us. Looking at the way Arsenal are going about things it's a good thing we had them early in the season while they were a little unsettled for example.. 

Pleased Morata is finally getting some goals, lets hope he can keep it up.. Strength in depth is what turned the game for us.. when you can bring the likes of Hazard, Kovacic and Fabregas off the bench then you are bound to create something of worth.. well at least you would hope so anyway. Also been surprised at the amount of goals we are getting especially considering the mis-firing Morata and Giroud.. 

I understand that Drinkwater and Moses are marked for a departure and looking at their playing time it would not be a surprise, I wonder if Sarri will get replacements and if he does will he get the players he would ideally like?? At least our current style of play and position might make any moves seem a little more attractive to anyone thinking of coming in unlike the past where I think the atmosphere and Managers/Tactics have maybe put one or two off... 

Nice to see the players enjoying their football.. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Drinkwater looks more than contempt with sitting out the remainder of his contract on the bench. Moses is off. 

I was at the game and the player you need to worry about leaving is Ruben Loftus-Cheek. He looked like he was going to get emotional when he warmed up in front of the Palace faithful clapping him and chanting his name. I think his heart is still in SE25 with Victor's.

20 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I was at the game and the player you need to worry about leaving is Ruben Loftus-Cheek. He looked like he was going to get emotional when he warmed up in front of the Palace faithful clapping him and chanting his name. I think his heart is still in SE25 with Victor's.

We'll pay you to take Moses. 

He's taking Odoi's minutes 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived