talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores Final 2018: RIVER PLATE (5) aet3-1 (3) BOCA JUNIORS

football forum

Daniel Angelici and Rodolfo D'Onofrio (Boca and River respective presidents) have been debating with AFA and CONMEBOL as to whether or not to allow visiting fans for the two games in this year's Copa Libertadores Final between Boca and River...  Due to the lack of time to change many complicated mechanisms put in place by the policing authorities and AFA, it's looking more and more likely that the world is going to miss out on the atmosphere produced by these two everytime there's a Superclásico.

The decision is almost 100% but will be made official on Monday.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The way the Libertadores Final has been hyped up this year outside the usual European suspects that always view it anyway (Spain, Portugal and Italy), it would've been commercial suicide to have changed it from River v Boca to Boca v Grêmio.

In saying this, there is obviously something wrong with Gallardo if he doesn't know how to respect and execute orders from the football authorities. I mean, how ridiculous would if have been if River missed out on this opportunity just because their head coach made his own decision by being judge and jury.

In fairness his speech was most likely necessary as without it we would have probably lost, it worked. Though he should have been more responsible in the team leaving the dressing room on time on the past matches in order to avoid this sanctions all together.

5 minutes ago, Berserker said:

In fairness his speech was most likely necessary as without it we would have probably lost, it worked. Though he should have been more responsible in the team leaving the dressing room on time on the past matches in order to avoid this sanctions all together.

It just seems to me like between one decision and another the authorities are suffocating everything a Superclásico is and should be about.

Can't they just wipe slates clean considering its between these two now?  In other words give the whole watching world the greatest advert for the Copa Libertadores, South American football in general, Argentinian football, the Conmebol and finally... One of the greatest clashes (one of the two greatest clashes along with Barça v Real) in the world.

This game is a one off!  It's one of the biggest events in world football and for the true football aficionado no matter where he or she comes from its one of very few games one wishes to attend in one's lifetime.

It just seems to me that everyone is trying hard to dilute the rawness of this major event.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It just seems to me like between one decision and another the authorities are suffocating everything a Superclásico is and should be about.

Can't they just wipe slates clean considering its between these two now?  In other words give the whole watching world the greatest advert for the Copa Libertadores, South American football in general, Argentinian football, the Conmebol and finally... One of the greatest clashes (one of the two greatest clashes along with Barça v Real) in the world.

This game is a one off!  It's one of the biggest events in world football and for the true football aficionado no matter where he or she comes from its one of very few games one wishes to attend in one's lifetime.

It just seems to me that everyone is trying hard to dilute the rawness of this major event.

Yeah, an economic fine would have made more sense. And also D'onofrio (who i don't like) and Angelici are being silly not wanting away fans as like you said it would be great publicity for our football, though many morons (almost 60% of those who voted on poll on Olé) also agree with these two. So what can you do when you're surrounded by idiots? -_-

7 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Yeah, an economic fine would have made more sense. And also D'onofrio (who i don't like) and Angelici are being silly not wanting away fans as like you said it would be great publicity for our football, though many morons (almost 60% of those who voted on poll on Olé) also agree with these two. So what can you do when you're surrounded by idiots? -_-

Yeah I voted on the Olé poll for allowing visiting fans. I find it astounding that nobody is searching to make this one off big effort to show the whole world the true advert of what Argentinian football is and one of the biggest clashes in world football.

Its a shame ESPN dont have the rights to these games anymore, I used to watch the odd Copa Libertadores and Argentine football games on ESPN quite a few years back but they dont show the games anymore and i dont think any other channel in the UK has the rights either which is a shame.

5 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Conmebol should be ashamed for that laughable punishment Gallardo got, typical gallinas doing whatever it takes to catch up to papi Boca xD they are the Barcelona of the Western hemisphere. How convenient that no leaks come out of the dirty work by uefalona especially with one president rotting in jail and Barto getting rich off third party deals like Paulinho! 

Lol shut up hijo, Voca is by far the most corrupt club in the whole continent, about 80% of everything they won was thanks to refs. And Bianchi did the exact same thing as Gallardo in one of the semis against Palmeiras in one of the Libertadores they won, difference is he wasn't even punished!, unlike Gallardo. He said so himself last week.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

So they’re not showing the game of the century on British tv?

The demand here probably isn't as big as you think. Hence it never being on air.

Given that @Berserker said that one of the legs might be played this weekend, it's far too soon to organise for TV companies to arrange scheduling now and replace other programmes. For the amount any TV company would have to pay, it's probably too much and not a big enough return. 

I get that it's Boca vs River Plate and those that do know their football outside Europe will appreciate the magnitude of this game. But it's still probably not enough to give it some air-time here. 

And not to mention if a TV company airs it here, it'll end up replacing an already-scheduled game to show.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

The demand here probably isn't as big as you think. Hence it never being on air.

Given that @Berserker said that one of the legs might be played this weekend, it's far too soon to organise for TV companies to arrange scheduling now and replace other programmes. For the amount any TV company would have to pay, it's probably too much and not a big enough return. 

I get that it's Boca vs River Plate and those that do know their football outside Europe will appreciate the magnitude of this game. But it's still probably not enough to give it some air-time here. 

And not to mention if a TV company airs it here, it'll end up replacing an already-scheduled game to show.

I could go down one of two routes here mate... The first one would earn me accusations of being arrogant and rather obnoxious (without intending to be) in the way I portray my answer to that.  The second one would contain the same information without all the accusations of being an insular society (oops, I let in there because I've chosen the second more subtle route).

How anyone that pretends to love football not comprehend the magnitude of this encounter is beyond me.  For me in my personal and humble opinion, the CONMEBOL ruin this competition by making the final decided over two legs... It makes it smell of amateur League Cup nonsense.  Why they haven't got semi-intelligent people showing them the basics of how to turn something into a mega event is to make it one off and with that actually turning it into a one off game played in a neutral venue is beyond me.

But semantics aside on this European telling a diffenrent continent how they should or shouldn't promote their biggest club competition, all I can say is that it's balderdash that real football culture, a subject here in the UK we love to pretend to possess to the rest of the world is exactly that... Football culture!  It encompasses football and football is something universal or at least almost.

It is a very interesting thing to me when I go to my origins which are Spanish and how arrogant the Spaniards are in defence of their football here in Europe or I can also throw the Italians into the ring in that sense when you speak to them and stick their nose in the air when telling you how the history of their game is richer than anyone else's on the continent.  Everyone is defensive over their own version and history of the game.

Well where I've gone with that previous paragraph is that with all of the snobbery entrenched in each respective national game, how can those two societies (as also the Portuguese) be learned on the importance and richness of the South American game?  This actually goes beyond (before anyone makes that statement) the relationship European Latin countries historically have with Latin America.  We're talking football here!

Anyway... I've gotten bored of writing halfway through everything I was about to write which is rare for me.  Because I know it won't go anywhere and it means very little to anyone unless they know and understand all of this beyond what they've learned on a forum such as this one.  It has to be instilled in your early learning of football, it has to be bled into you so you can feel it because that's exactly what it is, a sentiment.

I will be watching it live and uninterrupted without shaving to search for an illegal stream.

This is the SUPERCLÁSICO on a re-edit because it's in the final of the Copa Libertadores.  A game I am so sad to not be able to travel to watch because it has all come too soon and even when I was about to make the utmost of efforts, I found out that obtaining a ticket is practically impossible (I've already accused the CONMEBOL of not knowing how to capitalise on their premium club competition with a one off final and I won't go into even more with how they haven't taken control into making this a world wide event). Poor!

44 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Boca home first this Saturday. 

This is what I mean with the two legged final.  Why should Boca theoretically be punished by playing at home first?  This with me having more sentiments towards River and their history.  River can now go and be ultra conservative and hope to nick a goal and take the concluding event to El Monumental.

Just now, SirBalon said:

This is what I mean with the two legged final.  Why should Boca theoretically be punished by playing at home first?  This with me having more sentiments towards River and their history.  River can now go and be ultra conservative and hope to nick a goal and take the concluding event to El Monumental.

Don't the away goal rule count? I think Boca are favorites if true. Just don't concede at home and nick a goal away, given they have a pretty decent record at El Momunmental don't they? 

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Don't the away goal rule count? I think Boca are favorites if true. Just don't concede at home and nick a goal away, given they have a pretty decent record at El Momunmental don't they? 

Well as you well know, traditionally playing away first is a benefit so as to bring a decent result home and in Argentina home support is massive!

But Simeone in recent years has changed much of this way of thinking with his preference to play at home first and put tons of pressure on the home team in the second leg.

It can be read various ways but I continue to feel a one off event is the most exciting way of deciding a final.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

AC Milan vs Juventus @ OT and Corinthians vs Vasco in Brazil for the FIFA club mundial 2000) are the only two games I can think off that come close to matching this game. Maybe personally, Club America vs Las Perras (chivas) for the League would be even greater (both are tied for most league titles)

The only thing in world club football that can rival a Boca v River final is El Clásico with Barça v Real.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The only thing in world club football that can rival a Boca v River final is El Clásico with Barça v Real.

I reckon even that isn't as big given the fans and the violence that will inevitably happen after each game. 

20 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I reckon even that isn't as big given the fans and the violence that will inevitably happen after each game. 

I agree... The Superclásico is bigger which is why I'm bemused as to why here in the UK it isn't a big deal.

@Berserker

I just finished talking to my cousin in Buenos Aires who's a San Lorenzo fan but who's father (my uncle) is an avid River fanatic told me that even though this game is massive it wouldn't be seen as big as if Real met Barcelona in the final of the Champions League.  He says that in Europe we have a different way of seeing all of this and that the national team is the biggest thing over there.  All of this because of my final attempt to try and go to the second leg to see if my uncle could get me a ticket (he's going).  

The reason I asked you this is to see if that's the general view on all of this.  Because if it is then I go back to the fact that it's all diluted due to it being a two legged final.

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

@Berserker

I just finished talking to my cousin in Buenos Aires who's a San Lorenzo fan but who's father (my uncle) is an avid River fanatic told me that even though this game is massive it wouldn't be seen as big as if Real met Barcelona in the final of the Champions League.  He says that in Europe we have a different way of seeing all of this and that the national team is the biggest thing over there.  All of this because of my final attempt to try and go to the second leg to see if my uncle could get me a ticket (he's going).  

The reason I asked you this is to see if that's the general view on all of this.  Because if it is then I go back to the fact that it's all diluted due to it being a two legged final.

It's not clear what are you asking.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Berserker said:

I think @SirBalon is trying to vindicate his own thinking that Boca vs Real is huge in Europe but has been down-played now because it's a 2-legged final.

And maybe he's just trying to get a ticket from you after failing from his uncle :P 

1 hour ago, Berserker said:

Got to say your answer made me laugh out loud and a lot. xD

What I mesnt to say is that my cousin tells me the national team (Argentina) is on a higher scale than even this Libertadores final) and I blame that on the two legged final system. 

29 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Got to say your answer made me laugh out loud and a lot. xD

What I mesnt to say is that my cousin tells me the national team (Argentina) is on a higher scale than even this Libertadores final) and I blame that on the two legged final system. 

I wasn't even trying to be funny. It's like they say, you're either born funny or not. :P

I don't think that's true. It depends on who you ask, people who are not that much into football or club football would prefer to win a WC, most football fans would rather see their team win the Libertadores or the Club WC, specially if it was against their main rival, and more so for River & Boca fans.

Just now, Asura said:

Never watched much south american football but I did read and watch about this rivarly on youtube documentrary videos... will definitely try to watch.

@SirBalon Can you update the first post of the thread with the fixture day and timings please?

Send me a naked picture and I’ll do it. B|

• The title was changed to Copa Libertadores Final 2018: RIVER PLATE (5) aet3-1 (3) BOCA JUNIORS
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived