talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores Final 2018: RIVER PLATE (5) aet3-1 (3) BOCA JUNIORS

football forum

• Subscriber

Boca Juniors go on strike over Copa Libertadores final

No decision has been made on a date or venue for the second leg of a clash with River Plate.

6 hours ago 

BOCA JUNIORS WILL refuse to play any matches until they are awarded the Copa Libertadores title, the club’s president Daniel Angelici has confirmed.

CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez announced the second leg of the final – postponed after the Boca team bus was attacked before Saturday’s game – will be played outside of Argentina on either 8 or 9 December.

No set date or venue has been confirmed but Boca, whose players suffered injuries in the attack, will not play a rescheduled final according to Angelici.

“Boca listened carefully to the president’s words,” Angelici told reporters. “We have decided to submit a request for disqualification to River.

“Today we expand the petition with 46 more pages, with videos, photos and evidence. Now the Disciplinary Tribunal has to answer.

“I hope that the court gives its answer with reasons. We are not willing to play any matches until the court decides. We believe that there are reasons to attend our request.

46855640_10156890239887855_4235158149826

“The rescheduling of the game is a decision of the CONMEBOL Executive Committee, not the Disciplinary Tribunal. We want them to adhere to the law, we believe that within CONMEBOL there are precedents for the request of Boca to be received positively.

“I have the duty and the obligation to defend Boca. It is a very serious fact, it is not about waiting for someone to die to make decisions. River have had many sanctions during this Copa Libertadores. Boca is going to exhaust all administrative instances.

“Today the one with the power of decision is the Disciplinary and Sanctions Tribunal. I am not satisfied with having set a date for the match, but it is the responsibility of the Executive Committee. We don’t have our minds on playing the final.”

River Plate president Rodolfo D’Onofrio suggested he had been given assurances by Argentina’s president Mauricio Macri – previously Boca’s president – that the final would be played at his team’s El Monumental stadium.

47090558_10156890240277855_8227004813196

“The talks with Angelici were cordial. Everyone has their position. I have it clear, this game has to be played, because River are not guilty of anything. Here what failed was the police.

“More than hurt, I was surprised by Angelici’s move. I was surprised that they presented the disqualification request overnight.”

https://www.the42.ie/boca-juniors-go-on-strike-over-copa-libertadores-final-4364002-Nov2018/

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it will be played at the Santiago Bernabeu Sunday 9th of Dicember 16:30 UTC-3, we lose home advantage and a lots of seats for our fans since now Boca fans will be allowed too instead of it being only for our fans like it was supposed to be since we weren't allowed at Boca's stadium.

It should have been played here like it was supposed to be. But out of the other choices this is one of the best since Madrid is the city with more Argentines in Europe and also all the Argentines living in Europe can quite easily attend too.

5 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

The name of the tournament is Libertadores and off all places they´re playing the final in Spain. xD How fitting!

True, I think that's weird too! O.o

But maybe most people have filed off the chip on their shoulder and don't hold present Spaniards responsible for things done by other Spaniards over 500 years ago... That we would be able to call advancement (500 years later).

I also don't think it should be played in Spain but not for that reason my friend... For me it's because in the same manner I would hate the European Champions League Final to be played outside Europe, I have to believe and support the same for the Copa Libertadores which is a South American (not Central and not North, but South American) tournament.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

But maybe most people have filed off the chip on their shoulder and don't hold present Spaniards responsible for things done by other Spaniards over 500 years ago... That we would be able to call advancement (500 years later).

I also don't think it should be played in Spain but not for that reason my friend... For me it's because in the same manner I would hate the European Champions League Final to be played outside Europe, I have to believe and support the same for the Copa Libertadores which is a South American (not Central and not North, but South American) tournament.

Yeah, it's pretty weird and it's extremely stupid not to play the final in El Monumental where it was supposed to be because security fucked up, something presumably wasn't going to happen again. At least now you can go watch it live like you wanted mate.

I would have said to play it in Medellin. They have a good stadium and the Colombians know how to behave in these situations. It's also somewhat far from Argentina. Would have been the perfect scenario outside of Argentina.

This is bound to soften the hostility towards similar developments of finals of future regional competitions (european or south american) being played in Doha, Miami or Tokio.

7 hours ago, Berserker said:

It should have been played here like it was supposed to be. But out of the other choices this is one of the best since Madrid is the city with more Argentines in Europe and also all the Argentines living in Europe can quite easily attend too.

In terms of flights to Buenos Aires, Madrid-Barajas is quite good too I heard...

6 hours ago, El Profesor said:

The name of the tournament is Libertadores and off all places they´re playing the final in Spain. xD How fitting!

"Trofeo Virreinato del Río de la Plata"? What many people do not know is that the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium lies in the Hispanoamérica neighbourhood of Madrid. 9_9

Two years from now I imagine this being settled here and the actual cup being something along the lines of the Teresa Herrera or the Ramón de Carranza trophy.

I'll be honest, as ironic as it is, I don't think the Bernebeau is that bad a choice for the final. At least not from a business standpoint. Don't get me wrong, I am against playing the final outside of South America, but if they are to play it outside of the continent Spain would be the best destination. The people there would certainly show interest in the game and the Spaniards are well behaved for the most part. The time zone also works in Argentina's favour, as they are I think 3 or 4 hours ahead?

I really hope CONMEBOL don't dwell on this, but it's really the best destination outside of South America. Better than bloody Doha. CONMEBOL are terrible but I can't help but think they are punishing the Barras. 

2 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Bloody hell, MADRID, they (whoever) must think supporters of both clubs are millionaires and can afford the travelling expenses. 

It's more of a punishment to the barras. There will certainly be interest to locals too.

However, keep in mind Argentina despite it's economic decline is still the closest South American nation to a first world country. They are closer to Europe than the likes of Peru and Bolivia. There will be fans making the trip. Not sure how many, but there will be travelling fans.

From a marketing perspective the Bernabéu as with also the Camp Nou are massive obvious pluses. There’s also the fact Spain will now also put their bit into marketing the event which with their football media power will make it even bigger... Remember also that the first game finished as a draw.

I don’t like these things being moved out of their natural home, but it makes sense. 

From language to culture (especially with Argentinians) there are many things shared and adding that to the equation makes it even more understandable. 

20 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I was just pointing the irony, Antoñito. Spain and spaniards are not responsible for latin american shortcomings. 

In my opinion, all things considered, Madrid is not a bad choice. But I still think that Conmebol should hold the final of its most important club tournament in a country that is affiliated to Conmebol. 

Honestly... There is total anarchy in South American football. There is no control at all.

The whole thing is a mess. As sad as it is for me to say this because of the fact I’ve always had a sentimental spot for River, they only have themselves to blame even if the security authorities got it wrong too.

The reason I say this is because as an example both Barcelona and Real Madrid got rid of their hardcore ultra supporters (Boixos Nois and Ultra Sur) even when delivering death threats to their respective presidents. 

• Subscriber

AAy0ln1.img?h=40&w=138&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&

Soccer: River coach says fans 'robbed' by Libertadores switch

16 hrs ago

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - River Plate coach Marcelo Gallardo has accused the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) of "robbing the fans" with its decision to move the Copa Libertadores final to Madrid.

River drew 2-2 with arch-rivals Boca Juniors in the first leg on Nov. 11 but the return has been moved to Spain after Boca players were injured when fans attacked their team coach shortly before the match at River's Monumental stadium on Nov. 24.

"We have lost the home advantage," Gallardo told reporters on Sunday after his team beat Gimnasia La Plata 3-1 in the Argentine league. 

updates on the go.

"As absurd as it may be, they made a decision. Someday we are going to rethink what happened and we will remember it as a total disgrace.

"Our preparations have changed. We are going to play 10,000 kilometers away. The Copa Libertadores of America. They've robbed the fans."

Each team will get 25,000 tickets for the game at the Real Madrid's Santiago Bernabeu stadium on Sunday but only 5,000 of them can be sold to fans inside Argentina, CONMEBOL said.

The decision is designed to prevent the infamous barra bravas, the often violent organised fan groups, from traveling to watch the game in Spain.

The Argentine government said on Monday it was working closely with its Spanish counterparts to neuter the barra bravas and ensure that traveling fans would be kept apart in Madrid.

"We can't stop the barra bravas from leaving the country but we can stop them from getting into the Bernabeu," a security official told Reuters on condition of anonymity.

Gallardo was indignant at the situation and said the last 10 days was one of the most difficult periods of his long career.

"After all that’s happened, what we’ve gone through and had to chew over, it's not easy," he said. "They have damaged our spirit but that makes us stronger. This may be one of the hardest moments."

Gallardo, who ignored a dressing room ban in the semi-final against Gremio and was given another suspension for doing so, accused Boca of "taking advantage" of the situation to try and secure their seventh Libertadores title.

Boca have appealed against the decision to move the game and believe they should be awarded the match.

Their argument is based on a similar situation three years ago when Boca themselves were kicked out the Libertadores after their fans attacked River players with pepper spray at halftime during the first leg of their last 16 showdown.

Argentina president Mauricio Macri, a former president of Boca Juniors, said he hoped the massive international focus on the scandal would force his compatriots to change.

"This should cause us all to reflect deeply on what happened," he said. "International football authorities can't tell us that we can't finish a football match in our country again."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/soccer-river-coach-says-fans-robbed-by-libertadores-switch/ar-BBQrEFs?ocid=chromentp

• Subscriber

Copa Libertadores final: Boca Juniors v River Plate in Madrid 'embarrassing'

19 minutes ago|Argentine Primera Division

Playing the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final in Madrid is "embarrassing for the people", says Boca Juniors forward Carlos Tevez.

The Buenos Aires derby between Boca and River Plate was postponed in November following an attack on the Boca team bus by River Plate fans.

It will instead be held at  Real Madrid's Bernabeu Stadium on Sunday.

"It is a bit weird to play here but it is important for us to focus on how the game will be in Madrid," said Tevez.

The Argentina international, 32, told BBC World Service Sport: "I think it is embarrassing for the people, not so much for the players.

"They took away our dream of playing the final in our country."

Boca players suffered cuts from the glass from broken windows in the attack as they travelled to the River Plate stadium and were also affected by the tear gas used by police to disperse the crowds.

The fixture had been poised to be the biggest club match in the 127-year history of Argentine football, and the first leg of the South American equivalent of the Champions League ended 2-2.

"It is important because it is still a final," added former Manchester City and Manchester United striker Tevez.

"It is rare because of where it is going to be played, but it is still a Copa Libertadores final."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46479525

• Subscriber

Copa Libertadores final: Boca Juniors' bid to suspend match rejected by Cas

22 minutes ago|Football

Boca Juniors have had a late attempt to suspend Sunday's Copa Libertadores final second leg rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

Boca wants opponents River Plate to be disqualified from the competition and asked for the match to be put back while Cas considered its decision.

The tie was first postponed last month after River fans attacked the Boca team bus as it travelled to the game.

It will now be held at Real Madrid's Bernabeu Stadium on Sunday (19:30 GMT).

You can follow live text commentary of the match on the BBC Sports website and app.

The first leg of the South American equivalent of the Champions League final ended 2-2, and the return match was billed as the biggest club match in the 127-year history of Argentine football.

But Boca players suffered cuts from the glass from broken windows in the attack as they travelled to the River Plate stadium, and were also affected by the tear gas used by police to disperse the crowds.

Boca had asked Conmebol, South American football's governing body, to ban River from the competition following the violent scenes.

When that was rejected, Boca went to Conmebol's court of appeal, which backed the initial decision.

The club then took the case to Cas, also asking it to consider "an urgent request for provisional measure" to suspend Sunday's game.

Cas said on Saturday the game should go ahead - but added it would continue to consider whether River should be suspended.

Earlier this week, Boca forward Carlos Tevez said it was "embarrassing for the people" to see the final moved to Spain.

The Argentina international told BBC World Service Sport: "They took away our dream of playing the final in our country."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46493291

• The title was changed to Copa Libertadores Final 2018: RIVER PLATE (5) aet3-1 (3) BOCA JUNIORS
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived