talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Neil Ruddock Deliberately Broke Andy Cole's Legs

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Never liked Ruddock and there was and have been a lot of harder players than him over the years and the former Liverpool's Tommy Smith would have eaten Ruddock for breakfast and spat the bits and pieces out, Smith was one of the old-time hardmen of football beside the likes of Dave McKay, Norman 'Bite Your Legs Off' Hunter etc

• Subscriber

This famous photo of Spurs Dave McKay grabbing Leed's Billy Bremner by the scruff of his neck, August 1966, the year before McKay had broken his leg, this match the following year Bremner made a tackle on the same leg McKay had broken thus he grabbed Bremner by the scruff off his neck ...

THE most famous photo of Dave Mackay is one that the man himself grew to hate. To some viewers, the picture by sports photographer Monte Fresco of Mackay grabbing hold of Billy Bremner during a 1966 match between Tottenham Hotspur and Leeds is one of football’s most memorable images, summing up his commanding presence. But Mackay felt it gave a misleading impression. “I get asked to autograph that photo all the time,” he said a few years ago. “But I don’t like it, because it portrays me as a bully – he’s smaller than me and I’m picking him up. I’m not a bully and don’t like bullies.

“He was a brilliant little player but a dirty little b******. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day.” Jimmy Greaves, a Spurs team-mate of Mackay’s, was more forthright in his criticism of Bremner when he discussed the photo in 2011. “When Dave grabbed Billy it was probably the only time this nasty little player ever looked frightened in his entire career,” he said.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/english/why-dave-mackay-hated-famous-billy-bremner-photo-1-3708032

Dave_mackay_3217606b.jpg

Billy Bremner was a nasty little shit but could be just as hard as anyone but on this day he felt the awesome wrath of Dave McKay,  one of the old-time hardman of football, if you look left of the picture you will see a young fat Terry Venables, Venners could hold his own in those days also.

45329600_10156829507947855_5595059209373

49 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Horrendous player, horrendous man.

Could Cole take any sort of legal action?

Could be wrong but I believe violent acts have to be punished within 6 months. Maybe there's an exception where intent isn't known until later.

• Subscriber

Bit like the Keane, Haaland incident.

There is some revisionist history regarding what occurred that day at Old Trafford.

In an Observer interview with Sean O’Hagan in 2002, Keane spoke about the tackle on Haaland. He was asked if he had been patiently awaiting the perfect moment to retaliate.

“Maybe so. Maybe so,” he replies.

O’Hagan asks why he did it.

“Let him know that I remembered,” Keane says.

"Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no remorse. My attitude was, fuck him. What goes around comes around. He got his just rewards. He fucked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye.’"

I know it’s not right, don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t try and tell my kid that. But I’m only human, I was out for a long year that time.”

https://www.the42.ie/roy-keane-cruciate-ligament-alf-inge-haaland-3563028-Aug2017/

34 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Ruddock always has been a cunt. The attitudes of him and a few others are a major reason why Liverpool didn't win a league title under Roy Evans in the 90s.

Absolutely! We were never going to win the league with fat cunts like Ruddock in the side. 

He's funny though xD

Indent know if it was yesterday or the day before (not longer than that) there was an article in a Spanish sports daily written on the hatchet men of football which was very interesting and they even made a first XI.

Gonna try and see if I can capture it and put that XI on here.

Thankfully that type of footballer has died out but even back then living football through many of those years I never understood why fans lauded limited footballers that ran around like idiots going studs first.  It's no wonder that slowly the football authorities implemented tackling rules to force clubs to make these types of animals extinct.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Indent know if it was yesterday or the day before (not longer than that) there was an article in a Spanish sports daily written on the hatchet men of football which was very interesting and they even made a first XI.

Gonna try and see if I can capture it and put that XI on here.

Thankfully that type of footballer has died out but even back then living football through many of those years I never understood why fans lauded limited footballers that ran around like idiots going studs first.  It's no wonder that slowly the football authorities implemented tackling rules to force clubs to make these types of animals extinct.

I think animals is a bit harsh xD

I know some players were dirty in the tackle once upon a time but that doesn't make them Peter Suttcliffe. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I know some players were dirty in the tackle once upon a time but that doesn't make them Peter Suttcliffe. 

Deliberately injuring another player is animalistic, especially with his 'My friend didn't like him..' shit. Maybe it's just bravado, the fat cunt has always seemed like a typical cockney wideboy trying to make up for lack of ability.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Ruddock always has been a cunt. The attitudes of him and a few others are a major reason why Liverpool didn't win a league title under Roy Evans in the 90s.

He’s always been such a shithead, I don’t know anyone who liked having him with us. I hated having him and Ince back then, and I was just a kid but even I could see they had toxic attitudes.

46 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Everything is relative to the situation in hand mate.  Obviously we're not talking murderers here but football... My main comment which was something I never understood back in the day when there were many of these types of footballers like Vinny Jones for example, is that I never got the adulation by fans with these types.

On 02/11/2018 at 12:21, LFCMadLad said:

It's not even like Keane was a hard man, Souness or McMahn would have chewed his head off. 

Keane was just a dirty twat that was lucky to have emerged with the class of absolute fanny's. 

Wasn't he? I always thought he was an amateur boxer

Archived