• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Final 3 Minutes - Manchester United v Bayern Munich 1999

football forum

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I remember watching it and thinking that Bayern were eventually going to get the goal they needed through Basler who was having an exceptional game. Then it all went to pots in the last few minutes for them and i think the first goal shook them up enough and some added pressure from United got them the second goal. But what a great Munich team that was and if memory serves me right Keane and Scholes weren't playing? I could be wrong.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

But what a great Munich team that was and if memory serves me right Keane and Scholes weren't playing? I could be wrong.

Aye, both missed the final.

Captain Roy Keane and midfielder Paul Scholes both missed out on the final due to suspension;"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_UEFA_Champions_League_Final#Team_selection

Bayern should've won that final and they didn't because of their own ineptitude like in a few others where they've lost.  But the fighting, never say die spirit Man Utd showed right until the end because they believed is what eventually made this a fairytale ending for the Man Utd fans and all those football aficionados that love epic football stories.

• Subscriber

I was in Scotland watching the game on tv, 1-0 down with 3 minutes to go and I thought "Oh well, we [United] gave it our best shot" as I thought Bayern would win 1-0 and I went the loo, when I came back in and seen the final score I just yelled "YEEEEESSSSSSS" and I had to wait for the replays to see Ole's & Sherringham's goals.

Our daughter at the time (a United supporter) was working in a pub that night as a manageress and the match was live in her pub, she rung me up after the match and said "WE WON POPP'S, WE BLOODY WON!!", I just laughed and said, "I know honey, I have been watching it".

Teddy Sheringham: "[At half-time the manager said] 'This European Cup will be only six feet away from you at the end of this day. But if you lose this match you won't even be able to touch it. Don't you dare come into this dressing room after the match without giving your all.'"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2010/mar/24/manchester-united-bayern-munich-1999

How could anyone forget that game... such a great emotional finish... The idea of giving up under Ferguson was unthinkable for a United side.... Raise your game, try harder, run faster and play quicker, relentless... just about everything you could ask of a team they delivered.. and on that occasion got the rewards for it.. 

Solskjaer was such a good servant for the club I always thought, a model professional...  

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

How could anyone forget that game... such a great emotional finish... The idea of giving up under Ferguson was unthinkable for a United side.... Raise your game, try harder, run faster and play quicker, relentless... just about everything you could ask of a team they delivered.. and on that occasion got the rewards for it.. 

Solskjaer was such a good servant for the club I always thought, a model professional...  

The greatest thing about Fergie’s Man Utd reign for me was exactly that. His teams had the vulture mentality where if the prey didn’t capitalise on its heightened moment, any subsequent chink in the armour or reduction in performance would meet with a final death blow and be consumed.  

Archived