talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Can shows survive when they lose their man stars

football forum

Can Shows Survive When They Lose Their Main Stars  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Can Shows Survive When They Lose Their Main Stars?

• Yes - They can survive
    • No - They can't survive
    • Undecided

• Subscriber

As the title says, can they survive? it's a long read but the only 2 shows amongst the one's the BeeB mentioned that I have ever watched is Jeremy Clarkson & Top Gear and Charlie Sheen & Two and a Half Men.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46059026

Edit: Admin/Mods I messed the poll up with this above it: 1. The title says it really and this is a long read but mentions shows like House of Cards, The Office, Two and a Half Men etc, the only shows I watch when I can is Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson & co and Charlie Sheen in Tow and a Half men 

Could you please delete that above the poll as this is the first time I have added a poll but can't edit and correct the actual heading, cheers :ay: 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general its more likely to fail than succeed but it can be done.

The more charismatic the lead, and the more dependant the show is on its lead,  the harder he/she is to replace.

I’d stopped watching the office and house of cards before the lead ever left so I can’t speak to them. Two and a half men was a shitty show no mater who the lead was.

The Sopranos would have failed without Tony, as would Peaky Blinders without Tommy Shelby, but the Wire would have succeeded without Jimmy McNulty, and I’m still enjoying Vikings despite Ragnar Lothbrok winding up a season or two ago. I thought Game of Thrones might struggle after Sean Bean left in Season 1, but they moved on as did the story.

I think that’s probably the key. If the aim is to just replace the lead and keep up the same magic then it will more often fail. If the aim is to just move in another direction then its got a better chance.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :)

• Administrator
2 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

As the title says, can they survive? it's a long read but the only 2 shows amongst the one's the BeeB mentioned that I have ever watched is Jeremy Clarkson & Top Gear and Charlie Sheen & Two and a Half Men.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46059026

Edit: Admin/Mods I messed the poll up with this above it: 1. The title says it really and this is a long read but mentions shows like House of Cards, The Office, Two and a Half Men etc, the only shows I watch when I can is Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson & co and Charlie Sheen in Tow and a Half men 

Could you please delete that above the poll as this is the first time I have added a poll but can't edit and correct the actual heading, cheers :ay: 

Done.

For what it's worth, it depends where the show is when the main star leaves/gets sacked.

House of Cards was coming to an end as it was and had probably outstayed it's welcome anyway, so Kevin Spacey leaving was a nail in the coffin for it to end anyway.

I never watched Two and A Half Men.

Top Gear only worked with Clarkson, Hammond & May. Whether you liked them or not, they had the kind of dynamic which clicked. Any replacements or attempts since have tried and failed and it's just not the same any more. 

Depends. Are we watching the show for it's stars or it's story. 

Two and a half men is a steaming pile of horseshit. It needed Sheen to provide it personality, thus it sucked dick when he left.

Game of thrones didn't 'need' the character of Ned Stark or the star power of Sean Bean because theres so much more going on.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Sean Bean dying in the first season was mental

That actually may have been genius. GOT really took  off popularity wise after season 1. And the Ned stark death was hugely influential...

1 hour ago, Harry said:

That actually may have been genius. GOT really took  off popularity wise after season 1. And the Ned stark death was hugely influential...

It was just very typical of GoT for a period of time, brilliant storylines, great dialogue, characters who you literally hated they were that good and then anyone could die at any moment. Then they ran past the book and whilst exciting, and with some great episodes backed up by a bigger budget than previous series, they lost the thrill that anyone could go at anytime and you were basically left knowing that all your favourite characters were basically safe until the final series.

Archived