• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Leaks Scandal

football forum

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Cicero said:

It's a worse story with PSG. Not only that with the Parisien club, but Neymar's transfer was paid for by the Qatari government while masked as employing him as an embassador for the Qatar World Cup.

Monaco have had to release a statement denying any wrong doing now.

I've always been against FFP as from the outset it seemed a way for the present major players to ensure that they would have a foot in the door ahead of all others teams during football's global expansion in Asia.

Far too many teams, even in second tier English football, have got away with breaching FFP that it cannot be taken seriously. 

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It's a worse story with PSG. Not only that with the Parisien club, but Neymar's transfer was paid for by the Qatari government while masked as employing him as an embassador for the Qatar World Cup.

You seem to strangely try and absolve Manchester City at all times, because of the bald man? The evidence is stacking up against Manchester City and their illegal activities, it will make no difference but it means all their success, however pretty, is only further invalidated on a moral level.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

You seem to strangely try and absolve Manchester City at all times, because of the bald man? The evidence is stacking up against Manchester City and their illegal activities, it will make no difference but it means all their success, however pretty, is only further invalidated on a moral level.

No, not really. I just know we have a tendency to go very insular here on this island and I try to make sure there is no line drawn in the sand.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

No, not really. I just know we have a tendency to go very insular here on this island and I try to make sure there is no line drawn in the sand.

Manchester City are pretty much proven criminals, nevermind completely morally bankrupt. There's nothing insular about calling that out. PSG are just their criminal brethren.

25 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Manchester City are pretty much proven criminals, nevermind completely morally bankrupt. There's nothing insular about calling that out. PSG are just their criminal brethren.

I suppose the reason that around Europe Paris Saint-Germain receive more suspicion or better said, a sentiment of repulsiveness is because their setup is well known to be looking to legitimise a particular authoritarian and medieval way of doing things while Man City's arm in all of this is basically financial with their City Group. 

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I suppose the reason that around Europe Paris Saint-Germain receive more suspicion or better said, a sentiment of repulsiveness is because their setuap is well known to be looking to legitimise a particular authoritarian and medieval way of doing things while Man City's arm in all of this is basically financial with their City Group. 

The City Group are exactly the same, an arm of Middle Eastern money and corruption. There is no difference and your bald hero is their lackey.

NewFinally revealed that the players didn't take wage cuts for their passion for the project and Man City. The players were paid through marketing rights set up by a third party company (owned by Abu Dhabi) so Man City didn't have to pay £30m in wages directly. 

Manchester City Exposed: Chapter 2: The Secret 'Project Longbow' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International 

Inflating sponsorship deals and hiding wages.

• Subscriber

Man City and Paris St-Germain 'are cheating and should be punished'

By Mandeep Sanghera & Alistair Magowan

BBC Sport

21 minutes ago | Man City

Manchester City and Paris St-Germain "are cheating and should be sanctioned", according to La Liga following financial conduct allegations.

German news magazine Der Spiegel says City and PSG overvalued sponsorship deals to help meet Uefa's Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules.

And it says that in 2014 the clubs negotiated with Fifa president Gianni Infantino, who was then general secretary of European football's governing body Uefa, to agree reduced punishments.

City says they will not be commenting on the claims and that the attempt to damage their reputation is "organized and clear".

Paris St-Germain have been contacted for a response.

Joris Evers, chief communications officer for Spain's top flight La Liga, told BBC Sport: "The Football Leaks documents [in der Spiegel] appear to confirm what we have been saying for years. Both PSG and Manchester City are cheating and should be sanctioned.

"We certainly hope Uefa will take the right decisions and enforce Financial Fair Play rules, but we don't have full confidence that they will.

"Should Uefa fail to act, we will do what we have said before: launch a complaint with European Union competition authorities."

Responding to the claims, City manager Pep Guardiola said he "trusts the club and what they have done".

He added: "I'm part of the club, I support the club. We want to do what we have to do in terms of the rules."

'Project Longbow' and 'global enemies of football'

In its latest claims, Der Spiegel says Manchester City used "creative solutions" to avoid costs, calling their endeavor 'Project Longbow'.

That included selling players' image rights to an external company, therefore writing off that cost from their accounts.

The external company paid City "almost 30m euros" (£26m) and were then reimbursed approximately £11m a year in secret by owner Sheikh Mansour's holding company, Abu Dhabi United Group.

The magazine said the name 'Longbow' was chosen, according to City's chief legal adviser, Simon Cliff, as it was "the weapon the English used to beat the French at Crecy and Agincourt" in the Hundred Years' War.

French Uefa president Michel Platini was the man behind FFP.

In an internal memo seen by the magazine, Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano said: "We will need to fight [FFP] and do it in a way that is not visible, or we will be pointed out as the global enemies of football."

What punishments did Man City suffer?

Uefa found City had breached FFP rules in 2014 and the two parties reached a settlement, with City paying a £49m fine - £32m of which was suspended - while their Champions League squad was reduced for 2014-15.

Der Spiegel calls the settlements "weak" and claims Uefa "wasn't even entirely aware of the degree to which it had been deceived".

It says that Uefa was unaware of the arrangement with the external company and it was only raised when auditors from PricewaterhouseCoopers took a closer look on behalf of the European football governing body.

"This was a very good deal for MCFC," a PwC analyst, said, according to Der Spiegel. But the magazine said the analyst "was having trouble" figuring out "how the [external company] expected to make a return".

Documents also suggested that Abu Dhabi United Group had invested more than £1.1bn in 2012, four years after Sheikh Mansour took over the club.

Since 2008, City have won three Premier Leagues, an FA Cup and three League Cups, and have spent more than £1.4bn on players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46109638

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Pot kettle black with La Liga calling out those two, as if Real and Barca have never been financially corrupt either xD 

By the sounds of the leaks it’s almost everyone including many Premier League clubs. 

• Subscriber

I know there are several threads on this elsewhere but this whole stink about Manchester City and funding needs to be sorted, not that it will be because we know how corrupt all of these organisations are.

The only way to deal with it is to hit them with crippling competitive penalties. A five year ban from European football, a three year transfer embargo that is actually enforced, a 10 point deduction in the domestic league (unless this causes Liverpool to win the title in which case City should get away with everything).

Fining these clubs money is never going to be the solution. The reason they mess around with financial fair play or find tricks to get more money into the club coffers is because they have more money than they know what to do with in the first place.

56 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Monaco president held in police custody 

It probably has nothing to do with it but I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually find this is in there too... The Mbappé transfer from Monaco to PSG looks to have been one of the most shady pieces of business ever. If there weren't back-handers in that at the expense of an institution (AS Monaco in this case) then I don't know what is.

In this day and age of massive transfer fees and clubs doing their utmost to hold onto their very lucrative assets, we see a situation where one club sells one of the most renowned young players on the planet to a national rival.  Ok, we've seen this before (although I disagree we've seen it at this scale), or let's pretend we have... There was absolutely no resistance from Monaco whatsoever when there were various of Europe's elite genuinely enquiring about Kylian Mbappé.  Still not shady? Then the deal doesn't even happen on a straight forward transfer with the excuse from PSG's well versed in corruption defence publicising that the reason it was executed on a loan deal was because PSG had to adhere to FFP rules and not overspend after just having paid €222m (overspending already and breaking FFP rules but we already know UEFA covered that one) for Neymar.

So AS Monaco LOANED the player until PSG were able to release the money? xD

Need I say anymore?

hahahaha... They loaned Mbappé for a year like he was a player hard to get rid of.

All of this with a willing and waiting auction at Monaco's doorstep.

Honestly... Hmmm... Nah, I'll just leave it there.

21 hours ago, BartraPique1932 said:

This is pretty serious stuff. Is Guardiola the first man to be involved in both drugs doping and financial doping?

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

This is pretty serious stuff. Is Guardiola the first man to be involved in both drugs doping and financial doping?

I know you don't like Guardiola but that statement can either be deemed as hilarious or denoting you're obsessed with the man.  What's he got to do with both of those reports?  When most of that occurred Guardiola was still either coaching the Barcelona 'B' team or subsequently the full side later on.  Infact Qatar had absolutely nothing to do with FC Barcelona at the time even if you want to go down that route.

This is to do with a country (the one that owns Man City in this case and the one that owns PSG in the other story), a culture that thinks (correctly, otherwise who's gonna be brave enough to dispute it) they can buy any decision whether it be immoral or not with money.  That Westerners can be used for whatever if the price is right and here like in most other areas like for example selling arms for an extortionate price so that these areas can innocent men, mothers and children in another country (Yemen, but there's nothing new there and we have other infamous cases on that one)... And finally, this is about all of us and not a bald football coach that is as fallible is all of us.

We can't pick and choose our villains when everyone's in on it.

This is a mark of society in general and their worshipping of money... The hypocrisy lies mainly at the hands of those gulf nations who pretend to be holier than though with everyone else being infidels blah blah blah (we all know the rhetoric) when in actual fact they're are corrupt as all of us when having an opportunity to make a quick buck or using the quick buck to obtain unlawful favours.

The leaks coming out on the the transfer of Kylian Mbappé from AS Monaco to Paris Saint-Germain are absolutely ridiculous. Forgetting the demands from the young French player so as to accept the deal but as I said in a previous post, recognising that PSG had only just signed Neymar from Barcelona for an extortionate amount of money with also the wages to be put into perspective on the whole deal... How the Parisien club got away with that and worse still, how UEFA pretended to investigate their FFP finances is shocking.

I think with all of these leaks we have to assign levels of culpability here.  First of all nobody is going to negate that these clubs flouted the rules and should be punished.  But in my view the football authorities and even politics with governments are coming into the reckoning.

• Subscriber

All this really shows that FFP is a pipe-dream that gets exacted when its pleases the authorities to do so and has no true base in what it was originally designed to do, instill fair play. To even suggest that the guys making decisions didn't know the extent of the deception is naive journalism at its best and if it does come to a point of litigation it will be very funny to see how many 'friends' oust each other to save themselves. As suggested above, you don't hurt these clubs by making them pay for what they've done (that punishment in itself is the best joke of all) but you hurt them by excluding them from the very reason they spent the money in the first place. 

• Administrator

Everyone in France knew the Mbappe transfer was horseshit. A book cooking exercise of the highest order. This was always my gripe with financial fair play, it maintains the status quo. The big clubs continue to operate as is whilst other clubs with a lesser commercial draw are forced to adhere to rules that keep them at arms length. Financial FairPlay should be exactly that, entirely transparent finances that are judged on legitimate independent 3rd party audit. It won’t happen though. Champions League is far too important to UEFA than truly embracing any financial fair play 

Archived