talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Neil Lennon Coin Throw

football forum

Not saying Neil Lennon deserved to have something launched at his head but given it’s a derby game and those sort of games tend to bring out the idiots from their Stella infused hibernation, goading the fans probably wasn’t his wisest decision and at the very least, he should be reminded of his professional responsibilities from both the police and his employer. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not saying Neil Lennon deserved to have something launched at his head but given it’s a derby game and those sort of games tend to bring out the idiots from their Stella infused hibernation, goading the fans probably wasn’t his wisest decision and at the very least, he should be reminded of his professional responsibilities from both the police and his employer. 

Saw that. Provoked attack on him but he was asking for it. Bound to get some lairy nutter take it too far and one did.

10 hours ago, Toinho said:

Another cracker by Rogic, this time in the cup. Arzani debut but got injured :( 

Wonder how long Celtic can keep Rogic. Seems to be an ever-consistent performer for them.

Shame about Arzani - how bad was the injury?

• Subscriber

Hearts 0-0 Hibs: Neil Lennon 'furious' over coin attack in Edinburgh derby

31 October 2018 | Scottish Premiership

"Furious" Hibs manager Neil Lennon called for the supporter who hit him with a coin during a stormy goalless Edinburgh derby to be "singled out".

Lennon was struck "on the jaw" moments after appearing to celebrate Hearts having an injury-time goal disallowed.

Hearts keeper Zdenek Zlamal was also "punched" by a fan while both assistant referees, Frank Connor and David McGeachie, were struck by objects.

"It's unsavory to say the least. It's unacceptable," Lennon said.

"People will say I was winding the crowd up; I wasn't. I was just giving a bit back for the abuse I was taking for 90 minutes."

Hearts counterpart Craig Levein said it was "ridiculous" Lennon and Zlamal were subjected to such attacks.

"There's no place for that," Levein said. "Bobby got punched [by a supporter] at one end and Neil has been hit by some idiot with a coin.

"I got a fright when I saw Lenny on the ground. I hope they catch whoever it was that threw it. They need to be dealt with."

'People say I bring it on myself... I'm not having that'

Police Scotland have already spoken to Lennon about the incident, and plan to speak to Zlamal.

Lennon turned around towards the celebrating Hearts fans after the goal was disallowed but he dismissed any suggestion he had done anything wrong.

It came seven years after he was involved in an incident with a Hearts fan on the touchline at Tynecastle during his tenure as Celtic manager.

"People say 'Neil Lennon brings it on himself, he deserves to get hit by a coin' or whatever. I am not having this," he said. "I've had it here before, a guy coming on to the pitch trying to attack me. It is not on.

"The guy must have a few quid because it was a pound coin. I would like to meet the individual who threw the coin someday, because I am not happy about it at all.

"It stung me; it is quite sore. I don't know where he has thrown it from, but it is a good shot. He might get in the World Matchplay [darts] next year. It came out of nowhere. I am furious about it, to be honest."

'It is just an absolute disgrace'

Lennon also said he hoped the supporter who punched Zlamal would be "singled out, banned and arrested".

Hearts manager Levein said his goalkeeper was struck by a fan in the Hibs end as he retrieved a ball from behind his goal during the second half.

Lennon said the Hibs fan responsible must be punished.

"We don't condone that. It isn't the face of our club or way we conduct ourselves. A player getting punched trying to do his job is just an absolute disgrace. He is not a Hibs fan," Lennon said.

"It's blackening the name of both clubs and Scottish football. This should be a showpiece game, it was feisty and intimidating, everything you expect.

"But if people can't behave themselves they should be banned, singled out, embarrassed and humiliated because they have humiliated the club."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46052581

Is he the victim of racism or did he goad them?

Neil Lennon says he "may reconsider" his position as Hibernian boss after being struck with a coin during Wednesday's goalless Edinburgh derby.

Lennon believes he suffers anti-Catholic "racism" in Scotland and says there was an effigy outside Tynecastle depicting him being hanged.

The Northern Irishman was struck by the missile after celebrating a disallowed Hearts goal near the end of the match.

"I've thought about walking away when I was manager of Celtic," said Lennon.

"Again, with all the furore and the empty vessels talking after Wednesday - people spouting opinions and totally getting the wrong end of things, I may reconsider my position again.

"I had a career in England unblemished by this sort of stuff. I had two years at Bolton [as manager] - again, no abuse, no attacks, no suspensions or anything like that. And as soon as I've come back to Scotland it's started to rear its ugly head again."

It's all bullshit.

Morelos got hit by a coin today and I don't feel like it was anything to do with the colour of his skin.

People are just idiots and can't handle losing, so they lose the rag. It's nothing to do with your gender, skin colours or religious beliefs. If people don't like you and they're cunts at the same time, they'll be cunts. (this time by throwing coins, other times by doing other idiotic shit).

• Administrator

It's not racism and he did goad them.

Despite the goading though, I don't think it's acceptable coins should be thrown at him. You're always gonna get some cunts in each fanbase who react to the provocation.

• Subscriber

Laughable how he's playing that card. How can he not take any responsibility for it? You goad the home fans when they've had a goal ruled out in injury time you're asking for trouble, especially in a game like that.

20 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Problem is when you j'accuse without evidence you actually do a disservice to the cause.

He needs no more evidence than what is already there. Lennon has been singled out and targeted ever since he said he wanted rid of the colony of Northern Ireland and to see a United Ireland. He is a fiery character who stands up for himself but none of this was initiated by himself, if this was a Protestant Scottish man this conversation wouldn't even be on the cards. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

He needs no more evidence than what is already there. Lennon has been singled out and targeted ever since he said he wanted rid of the colony of Northern Ireland and to see a United Ireland. He is a fiery character who stands up for himself but none of this was initiated by himself, if this was a Protestant Scottish man this conversation wouldn't even be on the cards. 

That's possible motive but not actual evidence for this particular incident. That ambiguity is how it does a disservice and you can see it in action right here in this thread. It's in Dan and ScoRoss' posts. Their response is a common one when someone starts imposing a political attitude onto anothers behaviour without hard proof. It makes the statement look immature and the individual expressing it comes across as having a chip on their shoulder. People tire of it which risks lowering emotion and respect.

6 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

That's possible motive but not actual evidence for this particular incident. That ambiguity is how it does a disservice and you can see it in action right here in this thread. It's in Dan and ScoRoss' posts. Their response is a common one when someone starts imposing a political attitude onto anothers behaviour without hard proof. It makes the statement look immature and the individual expressing it comes across as having a chip on their shoulder. People tire of it which risks lowering emotion and respect.

Bit like the white man telling the black person there is no racism then. Lennon has faced very real bigotry for who he is and hearts have that history. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Bit like the white man telling the black person there is no racism then. Lennon has faced very real bigotry for who he is and hearts have that history. 

Well yes it is similar to the Paul Ince and John Barnes situation. 

We use stereotypes in order to make predictions of others where evidence is lacking. The history you speak of just acts to create a stereotype in which to make a prediction. The question is not whether the stereotype has any basis but whether going public with it in this instance is likely to convince anyone other than those who already strongly support it, as the goal is surely to convince as many people as possible that something more must be done.

"I said I’d like to explore what Steven Gerrard’s wife says about him being an emotional person.

I was told not to reference his wife directly and instead say ‘in the film it says you’re an emotional person.’"

So you're told not to reference his wife but go on twitter crying about it, mentioning his wife? Nice one. Gerrard has obviously realised this guy is at it and just bailed. Good on him.

I don't understand this sectarian bullshit at all. Like I understand the core concept of Protestants and Catholics and years of conflict between them, but it's 2018, and it's not the Middle East, where religion is the end-all-be-all because for some reason medieval thinking prevails there - grow the fuck up. Neil Lennon's been in enough situations to know and understand the sectarian bullshit in Scotland, he's been at enough football matches to know that football fans can do stupid things when drunk and angry, and he should know that the Hibs-Hearts has it's own Old Firm sectarian bullshit tied to it.

I, obviously, think it's wrong that he's been hit by a coin. But at the same time, he's got plenty of experience in his life in football to have told him what he would do was likely to provoke a stupid reaction. And he's got the self-awareness to say that this sectarian bullshit doesn't just affect Catholics/Celtic fans/Hibs fans - it affects people at Rangers as well, in his recent complaints about sectarnianism in Scotland. And I think he's got a point, it's all fucking stupid and it needs to be left behind in history where it belongs. At the same time, I feel like his experience and knowledge should have led him to realise his actions might not have been all that smart.

Nacho Novo is catholic and played for Rangers. Celtic fans sing/sung "I hope you die in your sleep Nacho Novo". Religion is the easy scapegoat in most situations. If you look for a reaction and get one, don't cry about it.

Novo wound up Celtic fans big time and they hated him. It's the same with Lennon, he tries to wind up everyone, putting his hands to his ears at the opposition fans etc

If you can't take it, don't give it.

9 hours ago, Rab said:

Nacho Novo is catholic and played for Rangers. Celtic fans sing/sung "I hope you die in your sleep Nacho Novo". Religion is the easy scapegoat in most situations. If you look for a reaction and get one, don't cry about it.

Novo wound up Celtic fans big time and they hated him. It's the same with Lennon, he tries to wind up everyone, putting his hands to his ears at the opposition fans etc

If you can't take it, don't give it. 

Ironically, that's exactly what the Hearts fans can't do. They give him abuse all game, hang him effigies of him outside of the match and he gives a little back and he is hit with a coin...and he's the one that 'can't take it', fuck off. Lennon is no way the aggressor in this situation and he is right to call out the ridiculous nature of it, even if you don't agree with Lennon's assertion that it's sectarian, he's still spot on that he did nothing to bring this on. Unless giving something to bigots is now some sort of offence, good on him and hope he continues to be unbowed by the politically/religiouslly motivated abuse he gets.

20 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Ironically, that's exactly what the Hearts fans can't do. They give him abuse all game, hang him effigies of him outside of the match and he gives a little back and he is hit with a coin...and he's the one that 'can't take it', fuck off. Lennon is no way the aggressor in this situation and he is right to call out the ridiculous nature of it, even if you don't agree with Lennon's assertion that it's sectarian, he's still spot on that he did nothing to bring this on. Unless giving something to bigots is now some sort of offence, good on him and hope he continues to be unbowed by the politically/religiouslly motivated abuse he gets.

Exactly, if certain Hearts fans can't take it, don't give it. If Lennon can't take it, don't give it.

It's pretty simple.

Archived