• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Decline of the Long Shot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Comments that were backed with insufficient evidence

If I had said anything that was out of the ordinary or contrary to popular belief then there might have been a need to provide "evidence" but what I said was pretty standard for what the players were known for and either way, this isn't a court room. But you continue on providing evidence to justify every one of your opinions on a football forum. Wait a minute... you don't do that. :o

5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

If I had said anything that was out of the ordinary or contrary to popular belief then there might have been a need to provide "evidence" but what I said was pretty standard for what the players were known for and either way, this isn't a court room. But you continue on providing evidence to justify every one of your opinions on a football forum. Wait a minute... you don't do that. :o

Typically, when a stance is made and is questioned, that said person should provide some evidence to back it up, especially when they defend it isn't a hasty generalisation. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Typically, when a stance is made and is questioned, that said person should provide some evidence to back it up, especially when they defend it isn't a hasty generalisation. 

This might be serious for you but it really isn't to any sane person and as I mentioned, forums don't work like court rooms. If you're the one that's going to challenge someone's comment which is widely accepted, then it's up to you to justify your reasons for doing so. All you've done so far is say "take it back". If you find stats detailing shots taken from outside the box, shots on target from outside the box and shots scored from outside the box then let everyone know. I'm sure it'll add to the discussion.

6 minutes ago, 6666 said:

This might be serious for you but it really isn't to any sane person and as I mentioned, forums don't work like court rooms. If you're the one that's going to challenge someone's comment which is widely accepted, then it's up to you to justify your reasons for doing so. All you've done so far is say "take it back". If you find stats detailing shots taken from outside the box, shots on target from outside the box and shots scored from outside the box then let everyone know. I'm sure it'll add to the discussion.

Except it isn't though, is it? 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Essien v Arsenal has got to be up there. That's one of the most satisfying goals I've ever seen.

That angle from right behind it makes it look so good.

Image result for essien arsenal gif

Leads me on to Cuco Martina for Southampton (ironically also against Arsenal)

obTdGHe.gif

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Except it isn't though, is it? 

Lampard being a player that took a lot of shots outside the box isn't widely accepted? xD The whole joke around him shooting so often was that it will probably end up hitting some poor bastard and deflect in (if it didn't go wide).

3 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Lampard being a player that took a lot of shots outside the box isn't widely accepted? xD The whole joke around him shooting so often was that it will probably end up hitting some poor bastard and deflect in (if it didn't go wide).

The notion that Lampard wasn't a good long shot taker and all Hazard does is score penalties. 

Neither of those were widely accepted. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

The notion that Lampard wasn't a good long shot taker and all Hazard does is score penalties. 

Neither of those were widely accepted. 

Both were. Without question. No one said much against either notion at the time. There were more people that shared that notion. You're just trying to rewrite history to the point where both were always amazing at everything. Next you'll be saying Drogba wasn't terrible in the season you won the Champions League, he was always amazing in every season...

Just now, 6666 said:

Both were. Without question. No one said much against either notion at the time. There were more people that shared that notion. You're just trying to rewrite history to the point where both were always amazing at everything.

You are trying to create a narrative from a hasty generalisation. Literally nothing else. 

Next you'll be saying Drogba wasn't terrible in the season you won the Champions League, he was always amazing in every season...

He wasn't terrible that season given Drogba offers a lot to his game besides goal scoring. Now a more appropriate notion, would be that Drogba wasn't a prolific striker, but one of the best big game players in history.  

Now unlike yourself, when questioned on this notion, i'll provide some evidence so it not to look like I made a hasty generalisation. Drogba has only scored more than 20 goals twice in his career with us. However he has scored 9 goals in 9 finals. 

24 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You are trying to create a narrative from a hasty generalisation. Literally nothing else. 

He wasn't terrible that season given Drogba offers a lot to his game besides goal scoring. Now a more appropriate notion, would be that Drogba wasn't a prolific striker, but one of the best big game players in history.  

Now unlike yourself, when questioned on this notion, i'll provide some evidence so it not to look like I made a hasty generalisation. Drogba has only scored more than 20 goals twice in his career with us. However he has scored 9 goals in 9 finals. 

I never questioned him being a big game player so you basically just mentioned an irrelevant fact... As for what a mentioned, he was battling with Torres for a position that season who was also having a disaster and only in the second half of the season did Drogba receive more playing time and he wasn't that much better.

As I said before, you really do like to rewrite history and live in your own bubble.

30 minutes ago, 6666 said:

I never questioned him being a big game player so you basically just mentioned an irrelevant fact... As for what a mentioned, he was battling with Torres for a position that season who was also having a disaster and only in the second half of the season did Drogba receive more playing time and he wasn't that much better.

As I said before, you really do like to rewrite history and live in your own bubble.

No you didn't, you just created a very vague statement regarding Drogba in a desperate attempt to create a pitiful parallel on how I apparently like to rewrite history, which you failed horrifically at.

Now whilst I applaud you for finally providing evidence, you conveniently forgot to mention that AVB wanted to do away with the likes of Drogba, Lampard, and Cole, which ultimately led to his demise and us finishing 6th. Only when DiMatteo re-establish their roles did we start doing well that season which ultimately had us win the FA Cup and CL. 

'Drogba receive more playing time and he wasn't that much better'. 

Right, it was only Drogba who scored against Napoli, scored against Spurs, scored against Barca, scored against Liverpool in the final, scored against Bayern in the final along with putting away the final PK that contributed us to winning both the FA Cup and CL. Scoring 6 goals in 8 appearances in the CL that season. 

As I said before, you love hasty generalisations. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No you didn't, you just created a very vague statement regarding Drogba in a desperate attempt to create a pitiful parallel on how I apparently like to rewrite history, which you failed horrifically at.

Now whilst I applaud you for finally providing evidence, you conveniently forgot to mention that AVB wanted to do away with the likes of Drogba, Lampard, and Cole, which ultimately led to his demise and us finishing 6th. Only when DiMatteo re-establish their roles did we start doing well that season which ultimately had us win the FA Cup and CL. 

Right, it was only Drogba who scored against Napoli, scored against Spurs, scored against Barca, scored against Liverpool in the final, scored against Bayern in the final along with putting away the final PK that contributed us to winning both the FA Cup and CL. Scoring 6 goals in 8 appearances in the CL that season. 

As I said before, you love hasty generalisations. 

Very nice selective stats there. xDScored 6 in 8 when it came to one competition, scored 13 in 35 overall. Granted, that's not far off from what he usually did most seasons but that's just proof that he wasn't up to much most seasons. He was great on his day but most of the time he was just a Heskey like striker rather than a great striker.

And Hazard was just a dribbler with little end product a few years ago. Even you've been critical of him in the past for that reason. He's been much better this season but he's not been delivering this level of performance as consistently before.

And Lampard... He was just a first draft Gerrard.

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Very nice selective stats there. xDScored 6 in 8 when it came to one competition, scored 13 in 35 overall. Granted, that's not far off from what he usually did most seasons but that's just proof that he wasn't up to much most seasons. He was great on his day but most of the time he was just a Heskey like striker rather than a great striker.

And Hazard was just a dribbler with little end product a few years ago. Even you've been critical of him in the past for that reason. He's been much better this season but he's not been delivering this level of performance as consistently before.

And Lampard... He was just a first draft Gerrard.

Bias out the arse. Should change your handle to 'Biarse'

• Subscriber

I can remember watching the 1978 FIFA World Cup when Scotland played the Netherlands and Scotlands Archie Gemmill scored what many say as one of the greatest scored in the competition and it was to me and Scotland nearly went through leading 3-1 until the Netherlands Johnny Rep scored and made it 3-2 and Scotland were out of the World Cup as Rep's goal was a screamer, outside of the box.

Archived