talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wayne Rooney to be picked for England vs USA

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Apparently his fee will be donated to charity (which I thought is done anyway for players playing for national teams?). 

Don't agree with it though just because he's moved to America, made a bit of an impression there and he can now play a one-off game in a friendly.

What about using friendlies as time to experiment for players who could be on the fringes or tactically?

Yeah, it’s not for me. He’s had his time, he’s had his farewell, he’s had his moment when he broke the goalscoring record. Bringing him back now is a bit weird. It’s not as though we’re lacking players at the minute either, it’s turned it into an exhibition game rather than a friendly and it just seems a bit of a circus. 

I’m not sure what the purpose of this is. To promote the game in America perhaps? Not sure we should be doing that tbh. 

Glad I’m not going in all honesty. I thought about going straight from work but it’s a friendly, we’re only playing the USA and playing the Americans not long after Remembrance Sunday just screams avoid to me. 

I lost any respect for him in an England shirt after he announced he would retire after the World Cup following the Euros as if he thought he had some God given right to be picked on merit. Southgate deserves a lot of credit for the way he's ushered in a new side away from all these characters. Giving him a farewell just seems odd given how much we moved on as a nation over the summer. Literally achieved more in that tournament than we did in the twelve years Wayne played for England by some margin.

33 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I lost any respect for him in an England short after he announced he would retire after the World Cup following the Euros as if he thought he had some God given right to be picked on merit. Southgate deserves a lot of credit for the way he's ushered in a new side away from all these characters. Giving him a farewell just seems odd given how much we moved on as a nation over the summer. Literally achieved more in that tournament than we did in the twelve years Wayne played for England by some margin.

The farewell game was something that was called for in Spain with regards to Raúl.  A similar thing was done by Luis Aragonés when he changed to old guard for the new back in 2007 before winning the European Championships in 2008. Raúl was still in the hight of his Real Madrid career with the difference being (by comparison with how Southgate had no pressure from the English media) that Aragonés created powerful enemies that almost had him ousted.  Even after the Euro 2008 success there was much bitterness shown from certain sectors of the Madrid based press.

I don't know how much of a validation a farewell game for Rooney is a good idea with the limited time a national head coach has with his plans and his team.

• Subscriber

Wayne Rooney's England return surprises record caps holder Peter Shilton

2 hours ago | England

_104175462_rooney.jpg

Wayne Rooney made his last appearance for England in a 3-0 win against Scotland in November 2016

England's record appearance-maker Peter Shilton said caps should not be "given out like gifts" after it was announced Wayne Rooney would make a one-off return to the national side.

Rooney, who retired from international football in 2017, will be part of the England squad that faces the United States at Wembley on 15 November.

The match will be called 'The Wayne Rooney Foundation international'.

Shilton said he was "surprised" England boss Gareth Southgate had allowed it.

"I think there are better ways to do it," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "We could have a presentation on the pitch.

"I think if he was picked on merit, fair enough. But I don't think you can give caps out like gifts.

"You have got to be careful it doesn't set a precedent. It's great Wayne's foundation are going to get money from this game, but that is going to happen whether Wayne plays or not."

Rooney, who now plays for MLS side DC United, had ended his international career with 119 caps and a record 53 goals.

The Football Association said the match against the USA was an opportunity to "honour" the 33-year-old's "record-breaking international career".

Shilton won 125 caps before retiring after the 1990 World Cup, when England reached the semi-finals - just as they did this summer.

"There was terrific spirit within the squad this summer and I don't think Wayne will offer anything different," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46095559

• Subscriber

Wayne Rooney: No England gate receipts for striker's charity

1 hour ago | England

Wayne Rooney's charity will not receive any gate receipts from England's friendly against the United States but will benefit from several "fundraising initiatives", the FA has confirmed.

England's record goalscorer, 33, will return for a farewell appearance in what the FA has called 'The Wayne Rooney Foundation international'.

Fans can now donate when they buy their ticket for the game on 15 November.

They can also make donations via text and bucket collections at Wembley.

Rooney, who now plays in the US for DC United, has scored 53 goals in 119 appearances and last played for England against Scotland in November 2016.

An FA spokesperson said: "The FA is a not-for-profit organization which invests millions of pounds back into the grassroots game on an annual basis.

"The proceeds from the England v USA will go back into the English game. However, to honor Wayne Rooney and his record-breaking England career, we will also help raise money for the Wayne Rooney Foundation through a number of fundraising initiatives around the match."

There will also be pledge cards available in hospitality areas, along with a silent auction, while a gala dinner will be held at Wembley in 2019, supported by the FA.

About 40,000 tickets were sold before the FA announced Rooney's return on Sunday and that it was naming the friendly in honor of the former Manchester United striker.

After moving to the United States in July, Rooney scored 12 goals to guide DC United from the bottom of the Major League Soccer table into the playoffs, where they were knocked out in the first round.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46109439

This is a joke tbh. He's a record scorer yes but mostly from qualifiers and friendlies, rarely throughout a tournament done any more than the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Cole etc.

Ashley Cole is the only England player of that generation who deserves a farewell if we're handing them out, consistently turned up England. His performance against Italy being one of his best.

• Administrator

Chilwell retains his place as well. Maguire out through injury.

Happy for Wilson. Good form for a long period now and helped Bournemouth get to where they are at the moment. Deserved call-up.

I’d have been tempted to leave out all the Leicester boys given what they’ve been through emotionally and the fact they’ve been to Thailand and back for a funeral. 

The good thing is there’s a few players on the periphery of the squad and a few other names being mentioned for call-ups. James Maddison and Mason Mount miss out from the last squad and there’s some saying that Reiss Nelson, Rob Holding and a few others were unlucky not to get in. We’ve got depth now, which is good. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’d have been tempted to leave out all the Leicester boys given what they’ve been through emotionally and the fact they’ve been to Thailand and back for a funeral. 

The good thing is there’s a few players on the periphery of the squad and a few other names being mentioned for call-ups. James Maddison and Mason Mount miss out from the last squad and there’s some saying that Reiss Nelson, Rob Holding and a few others were unlucky not to get in. We’ve got depth now, which is good. 

Yeah depth is decent for once.

Maddison out through injury too (also out for the game against Burnley).

If Callum Wilson had missed out for the Wayne Rooney Circus I would have felt quite bad for him. With Jamie Vardy no longer interested there is a vacancy for the second choice striker role and given his qualities it seems fair to give Wilson that opportunity in a friendly. 

Hopefully he can impress and use it as another stepping stone. He'd fit in well at somewhere like Chelsea if they were to get rid of Morata. I know I slate Bournemouth but in Ake, Cook and Wilson they have three players who look on the fringe of nearly being ready to play for a top six team.

Overall it's a decent squad. To replace Maddison and Mount with Rashford and Alli speaks volumes really. It's nice to have a positive outlook on things and long may it continue.

• Subscriber

Yeah Maddison's is injury, as is Maguire's. I could've seen the logic in it but to be fair, I thought Chilwell had yet another good game last weekend so maybe it's not a problem having him in. He's having a brilliant season is Chilwell, I would argue he's been our best player.

• Subscriber

Also agree with the bashing of the Rooney situation. It's farcical but it's typical of the FA. Cheapening the overall occasion for a little bit more money. Cringeworthy.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Would have said Sturridge but he has had a poor couple of games. After that the options are awful, probably go for someone shite like Gray.

Glenn Murray and Danny Ings are the top English scorers in the Premier League who haven’t been picked in this team. 

A bit left field but I’d be tempted to call up Tammy Abraham. 4 goals in 10 games at Villa, knows the England system having played in the younger sides and fits Southgate’s liking of younger players. 

On 09/11/2018 at 17:59, Harvsky said:

The squad is already 27 players in size without Welbeck. We don't need to call anyone up for the sake of it. Except maybe Michael Owen, I feel like we didn't give him a proper send off for his contribution to England :ph34r:

Wherever keeps him away from commentating

• Administrator
On 11/11/2018 at 02:42, Gunnersauraus said:

Don't other counties do the same thing? I think he's only playing for 5 minutes. I don't really mind it to be honest

Other countries do it in the actual final game for the player. Not to purposely bring a player out of retirement with the smokescreen of 'proceeds to charity' just to sell more tickets in a friendly. 

Archived