talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

football forum

Breaking Bad' Movie From Creator Vince Gilligan in the Works

breaking_bad_s01e01_still.jpg

t's unclear if the two-hour project will be released theatrically or made for television.

A new chapter in Breaking Bad is in the works.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan is working on a two-hour movie, though it remains unclear if that will be released theatrically or made for television.

Representatives for Gilligan and Breaking Bad producers Sony Pictures Television did not immediately respond to THR's requests for comment.

Details on the project, which has been floating around the industry with a possible fake/working title of Greenbrier, are slim. It's unclear if the movie would be another prequel — like AMC's Better Call Saul — or a follow-up of some sort. It's also unclear is if any of the original stars, such as Bryan Cranston or Aaron Paul, are involved in the new project, which sources stress will be set in the existing Breaking Bad franchise.

Gilligan, sources say, will pen the script, executive produce and possibly direct. Breaking Bad and prequel series Better Call Saul exec producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein are also said to be attached to the film project, which is said to follow the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom. Production is expected to begin this month in New Mexico. The New Mexico Film Office confirmed that a project with the title of Greenbrier is slated to shoot in in the region.

Breaking Bad became a critical breakout for AMC and ran for five seasons. AMC and producers Sony TV quickly greenlighted the prequel Better Call Saul as Gilligan's follow-up series. Saul, featuring Bob Odenkirk's small-time lawyer, has been renewed for a fifth season, which set to air in 2019.

The Breaking Bad movie would mark Gilligan's first project to stem from the new three-year overall deal he signed with Sony TV in July. Sources said the pact is valued at less than $50 million as Gilligan is not in the same volume space as producers like Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy, who both signed nine-figure deals with Netflix.

A Breaking Bad film (of any sort) would be a boon for Sony TV, which, as an independent studio, has been fighting an uphill battle in an era when ownership has become increasingly important.

Gilligan's new deal keeps one of television's most respected showrunners in the business at the studio, which continues to focus on cable and streaming deals after a dismal upfront season in which it landed one new series on the five broadcast networks.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/breaking-bad-movie-creator-vince-gilligan-works-1158881

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Don't really know that there's a load of demand for this? The timing is a bit odd as the hype has died down a lot but I guess if Better Call Saul has been that successful they'll keep milking the money cow.

hahahahah do you have any idea how many million of fans have been praying for this? Vince still receives emails every day about Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul is decent but it is not BB.

football forum

Just me that liked Breaking Bad but didn't understand the perfect scores? Sure, it was an 8/10 but I just don't understand some of the hype around it. 

The whole of Series 3 (or was it 2?) was proper 4/10 stuff.

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Just me that liked Breaking Bad but didn't understand the perfect scores? Sure, it was an 8/10 but I just don't understand some of the hype around it. 

The whole of Series 3 (or was it 2?) was proper 4/10 stuff.

It was that bad you can't remember. Yep, just you.

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm more hyped for this than any GOT spinoff.

giphy.gif

Also, Vince Gilligan is probably proud of the show he created and wants to do it justice, unlike those two GoT clowns. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's gotten a really shit review from the BBC.

8.3 in imdb so far, and I've written some really positive headlines. Probably going to watch it on Sunday. But I don't care, I'm going to have Jesse Pinkman in my life again for 2 more hours. That's all I want. 

Archived