talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 10-11th November, 2018

football forum

Whilst I agree that the refereeing standard has been nothing short of abysmal at times this season I am not a fan of how Southampton have conducted themselves.

Firstly, Charlie Austin showed more passion in that interview than ive ever seen him show when he's in a Southampton shirt. Maybe he should be more bothered about things he can control such as his lacklustre performances. I can only assume he's spoken in that context because he had a goal bonus he's concerned about. 

Secondly, Mark Hughes criticising the refs lack of experience. There are refs up and down the country getting abused and assaulted at Sunday league level yet a Manager who has managed over four hundred games thinks it right to set that example. How is he meant to get the experience if he doesn't ref Premier League matches anyway? 

And don't get me started on All that 'this is the most exciting league in the world' bollocks they came out with. If this is the most exciting league in the world then what on earth are Southampton doing in it? Literally if they were having a kick about at my local park I wouldn't bother watching for free. 

All this did was overshadow the fact that Watford had a clear penalty disallowed. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.... and back in the room.

As you could imagine. I was shitting it when I heard the half time scores come in and I didn't bother checking the full times until we had lost. Which actually cheered me up a little. The thought of Huddersfield winning as many games in a week as we had won all season is quite frankly embarrassing. Thank God Pellegrini is getting a tune out of the likes of Felipe Anderson.

Rafa rejuvenating Newcastle is the last thing we needed as he showed last season he's capable of getting those players in to the top half. The teams they've turned over have been impressive too which concerns me. Maybe Bournemouth and Watford were in a false position to begin with.

I'm surprised Leicester didn't finish off Burnley given the way Burnley have defended this season. I half expected Leicester to be on a wave of momentum now too. Again, the last thing we need is for Burnley to be solid so hopefully this was nothing more than a Leicester blip.

As for the Arsenal - Wolves match. That was a great advertisement for this league. It could have finished about 6 all. If that is the style of football we have to look forward from Unai and Nuno then this league is only going to keep getting better. Kudos to both teams.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

.... and back in the room.

As you could imagine. I was shitting it when I heard the half time scores come in and I didn't bother checking the full times until we had lost. Which actually cheered me up a little. The thought of Huddersfield winning as many games in a week as we had won all season is quite frankly embarrassing. Thank God Pellegrini is getting a tune out of the likes of Felipe Anderson.

Rafa rejuvenating Newcastle is the last thing we needed as he showed last season he's capable of getting those players in to the top half. The teams they've turned over have been impressive too which concerns me. Maybe Bournemouth and Watford were in a false position to begin with.

I'm surprised Leicester didn't finish off Burnley given the way Burnley have defended this season. I half expected Leicester to be on a wave of momentum now too. Again, the last thing we need is for Burnley to be solid so hopefully this was nothing more than a Leicester blip.

As for the Arsenal - Wolves match. That was a great advertisement for this league. It could have finished about 6 all. If that is the style of football we have to look forward from Unai and Nuno then this league is only going to keep getting better. Kudos to both teams.

I think the week's occasions (Thailand, lack of training) caught up with them but having said that, Burnley didn't threaten at all. They did look defensively sharp so perhaps that's all they worked on in their training given how many goals they'd shipped recently.

• Subscriber

It's hard to really criticise us too much at the minute given what's happened but I did think that Burnley game was kind of a typical home game of ours under Puel. Our home form under him has been shocking. Our away form's improved and frankly what has us where we are, but our home form under him has been what I'd expect of a side in the bottom 5, not one that wants to finish 7th.

I think it's a tactical thing too. We're just too easy to sit back and defend against. We will either try to patiently build up and not be able to break you down, or we'll just lob cross after cross into the box despite getting rid of our two biggest aerial attacking threats.

In isolation I'd say the Burnley game we were unlucky, we did miss 2/3 good chances and had yet another dubious handball penalty decision not go our way, factor this in with the emotion around that fixture and the jet lag, it wasn't surprising to see us run out of steam pretty early.

But I do think it kind of sums us up at home under Puel. We are lacking statistically in chance creation (shot count does not equal chances) and we are prone to giving stupid goals away - strangely I actually think we've looked more solid at the back without Maguire, albeit we do miss his ability on the ball.

Who'd be a referee....

Charlie Austin has escaped punishment by the FA for his post-match comments following Southampton's draw against Watford on Saturday.

The FA had until Tuesday night to charge or warn the Southampton striker after he called the decision to rule out a potential match-winning goal against Watford "a joke".

FA rules state players and managers should not criticise officials but Austin has been given the benefit of the doubt.

Manolo Gabbiadini put Southampton 1-0 up against Watford at St Mary's, and Austin thought he had doubled their advantage with a deflected strike midway through the second half.

• Subscriber

The inconsistency at its finest again. They are genuinely hopeless as an organisation. They've not got a clue what they're doing at times.

Still, suppose it's a plus for Southampton that their players are listening to their manager.

Archived