talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

If your team went bust who would you support?

football forum

football forum

You wake up tomorrow morning to hear the confirmed rumours that your club has become extinct. The football ground that you know and love is all set to become a block of flats and the players that you looked up to are now moving to pastures new. Who do you turn to for your football fix? 

Phenonix/Fan owned clubs are banned from this thread, only current clubs are allowed - who would you support and why?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I honestly don't know. I was straight off going to say a Phoenix club and you've banned it.

I'd probably do a lot more neutral games. Likely to do some more non-league ones around this county. Probably end up sticking with one of them.

Couldn't ever support a club I couldn't physically attend.

20 years ago I don't know who'd I support if Arsenal disappeared because I never thought about something like that back then.  But football has changed a lot and if Arsenal went bust now, I wouldn't support any Premier League club.  I probably wouldn't even watch too much football in this league thinking about the now.

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

I honestly don't know. I was straight off going to say a Phoenix club and you've banned it.

I'd probably do a lot more neutral games. Likely to do some more non-league ones around this county. Probably end up sticking with one of them.

Couldn't ever support a club I couldn't physically attend.

Don't worry, you've got Forest.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Don't worry, you've got Forest.

Can confirm there's no circumstance ever that would make me even toy with the thought of backing that lot.

As someone with previous experience at swapping clubs :ph34r: I'd probably just end up watching watching my local non-league side Hayes & Yeading United. All my family are QPR and my granddad was Chelsea so through family ties I probably should have ended up supporting one of them growing up, but I couldn't support any other professional side, especially not any from west London xD at least with non-league it's football and your money will actually go some way to financially supporting the club

If it were Philadelphia Union that went bust I wouldn't support any other team in the USA. Every other city sucks besides us anyway.

Now if it were Stoke that went under I'm sure I'd find another team that everyone else seems to dislike that plays ugly physical footy maybe by then it'd be someone like Hartlepool.

In response to the opening post, I'd support no one. Ultimately I'd go to Football less but when I did want to go I'd either pick a non-league game or pick a game either somewhere I've never been before or a game at a London club that was fairly easy to get to from home. I'd probably also do a couple of games in Europe as well.

As for Phoenix sides, I was crucified on an Orient forum for saying that I didn't know if I had the appetite for a Phoenix club. I'm not too sure I could get behind a different club with a different shirt, a different badge and most probably at a different ground. A fan owned club is also a massive financial commitment for everyone at every level but not only that, it wouldn't be as easy as some predict and it would be very unlikely to replicate the 'fairytale' that was AFC Wimbledon's rise back to the Football League. 

• Subscriber

Wouldn't support any other club, mostly due to living in a completely different part of the world these days and getting more and more disillusioned with football in general. I think it's highly unlikely to form any kind of emotional connection with a new club if you're an adult anyway, unless you get personally involved (i.e. fan owned clubs). I would probably focus on amateur football mostly and follow the club my dad used to play for decades ago, it's now in the 7th tier of German football haha.

• Administrator

I don't think I'd have the effort or commitment to instantly go in to supporting another club.

I'd go to watch a lot of games, probably lower league games (maybe even Luton or Bedford because of location), but not necessarily give my full backing to another club. It's taken 21/22 years to get to this stage of love I have for Leicester. I can't see myself supporting a club in this way or have an attachment to another club immediately. 

Anyone who remembers me from the old TFF will recall I used to have a Rangers badge under my username, so them! As for more local clubs to where I live, I'd probably end up non-league ground hopping for a while and see where I ended up. Certainly couldn't follow another professional / Football League team in England.

I'd maybe go and watch Hull United but it wouldn't be the same, plus they're from the wrong side of Hull. 

I'd probably start following AC Milan because I've always had a thing for them but I would never be an out and out fan. I know it's banned in this thread but if there wasn't a phoenix team I think I'd eventually stop paying attention to football aside from the big games and tournaments. 

It'd be terribly indicative of the state of Australian football if Brisbane Roar died. I wouldn't go for anyone, really. QLD is my home state and I'd hope their would be another team founded.

Chelsea? No one, I"d probably keep watching English football though. I'd say I would be prone to support 'teams/players' over 'clubs' if you know what I mean. I'd probably start watching a team that played attractive football but I wouldn't by any means be a 'club' supporter.

Archived