talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Norwich City

football forum

Norwich 'under the radar' City moved top into the international break, this is a fantastic article on the transition period over the last couple of years. A well research piece that talks about Farke and also our sporting Director Stuart Webber.

If our success continues and we get promoited it'll be interesting to see if more clubs look at signing players from European leagues and in particular second divisions in Germany etc.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/norwich-city-championship-table-leeds-united-derby-county-daniel-farke-stuart-webber-a8625396.html

Thoughts on the Norwich regime? And could the Huddersfield/Norwich model that Webber adopted be copied by other clubs?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its interesting.

But a lot of factors to take into account here.

a) Klose still hasnt decided to renew his deal, and we dont know how much of an impact Farke has on this, and whether he would be willing to stay with a non-german manager.

b) Neither has Farke

c) I think that, on the lower levels, it is a tad hard to convince players to move to another region, especially another language speaking country. LEts take the reverse into consideration. How willing would someone from a mid to top tier Championship team be to play in the 2. Bundesliga, for say, Duisberg or, say Magdesburg.

I still think that this is the outlier, rather than become the mainstream.

2 hours ago, AMG said:

Its interesting.

But a lot of factors to take into account here.

a) Klose still hasnt decided to renew his deal, and we dont know how much of an impact Farke has on this, and whether he would be willing to stay with a non-german manager.

b) Neither has Farke

c) I think that, on the lower levels, it is a tad hard to convince players to move to another region, especially another language speaking country. LEts take the reverse into consideration. How willing would someone from a mid to top tier Championship team be to play in the 2. Bundesliga, for say, Duisberg or, say Magdesburg.

I still think that this is the outlier, rather than become the mainstream.

Klose is one of the last players still on big money from the previous regime. Him and Pinto are probably the last two? I don't think a decision will be made towards the end of the season and if we are still in the championship i'd be very surprised if he re-signed unless he is willing to take a serious wage cut. He'll be 31 by the time the season finishes.

Farke i'd imagine will sign a new contract in the very near future, i'm not concerned about that.

The majority of German's speak fluent English, certainly all our recruits do. English players have always been reluctant to travel abroad and also the money is far better in our 2nd tier than the German 2nd tier for example. I don't think it'll ever become the norm, but I think English football league clubs will start scouting Europe more, the myth that foreigner players struggle int he long hard football league season should be expelled. 

After the success Watford, Wolves and Huddersfield have had in recent years I imagine this trend will continue until we get some horror stories like Wolves 2013.

On top of their recruitment, I feel Norwich City deserve a lot of credit for maintaining their Category A status which has allowed them regularly bring through players from their academy that are Championship status. I find it frustrating beyond belief that given our catchment area we didn't maintain the same principles. Clubs with your attitude quite frankly deserve success.

6 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Is this the same Norwich that gets promoted, does the square root of fuck all before going down again? Thought so. Really couldn't give a shit, one of the biggest tinpot clubs out there. 

Leeds coming up as Champions is what everyone wants. 

xDxD

Decent attempt.

But I've seen better from you.

about 5/10, this one.

9 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Is this the same Norwich that gets promoted, does the square root of fuck all before going down again? Thought so. Really couldn't give a shit, one of the biggest tinpot clubs out there. 

awful trolling as usual on TFF. Really poor level of posting from a staff member, it really bring this place down.  @The Palace Fan  putting in some serious football posts, thank god.

• 4 months later...

On 12/11/2018 at 03:04, Cannabis said:

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/things-have-changed-perennial-yo-yo-club-norwich-city-will-be-premier-league-mainstays

Bet you're gutted

Norwich deserve to go up. Been the best team performance wise.

But the fans should have been bouncing at Carrow Road yesterday smashing QPR and pretty much guaranteeing promotion. I just don't get it. They all seem so blase about it.

If that was us, the scenes would be mental, which is why it literally feels like life and death for us going up. Every game we are nervous as fuck for.

Where is the passion?

• Subscriber

Called a couple of months ago that they would eventually run away with it and stand by that, reckon they'll finish about 10 points about whoever comes 2nd - who I think will be Sheffield United.

They play some absolutely excellent football. Hard to say how it'll work in the top flight but I could see them surprising a few on what I've seen so far.

On 07/04/2019 at 13:28, Lucas said:

But the fans should have been bouncing at Carrow Road yesterday smashing QPR and pretty much guaranteeing promotion. I just don't get it. They all seem so blase about it.

If that was us, the scenes would be mental, which is why it literally feels like life and death for us going up. Every game we are nervous as fuck for.

Where is the passion?

Been up and seen it quite recently, and several times over the past decade or so. For Leeds, like Liverpool with the first division title, the long wait makes it mean a hell of a lot more .

On 07/04/2019 at 17:58, Lucas said:

Where is the passion?

Guaranteed play-off spot, not automatic promotion.

There's still 6 games to go, and 18 points to play for.

Not sure what Scotland did to the young fella, but when Timo was with us he was a quiet, shy and very likeable lad - he was great on the field, but his abiltiy to just 'sneak in' at the right time did not fit with the management at that time and those of us who got to spend time with him were very sorry to see him go, but we knew what he was capable of.  He seemed to have been 'toughened up' north of the border and the young, blonde good looking kid has turned into a bearded animal that preys on defensive weaknesses.  That seems to be down to the Norwich staff and system and he and they deserve everything that is coming to them this season.  I will look forward to seeing how he copes with the Premier League defensive walls next season but whatever happens it will be great to watch!  My neighbour who is a Leeds fan avoids me whenever I mention Timo to him (as I did in September) as the phrase 'told you so' upsets him9_9

2 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

Not sure what Scotland did to the young fella, but when Timo was with us he was a quiet, shy and very likeable lad - he was great on the field, but his abiltiy to just 'sneak in' at the right time did not fit with the management at that time and those of us who got to spend time with him were very sorry to see him go, but we knew what he was capable of.  He seemed to have been 'toughened up' north of the border and the young, blonde good looking kid has turned into a bearded animal that preys on defensive weaknesses.  That seems to be down to the Norwich staff and system and he and they deserve everything that is coming to them this season.  I will look forward to seeing how he copes with the Premier League defensive walls next season but whatever happens it will be great to watch!  My neighbour who is a Leeds fan avoids me whenever I mention Timo to him (as I did in September) as the phrase 'told you so' upsets him9_9

Pukki seemed a bit taken aback in Scotland. He was still relatively young, and didn't adapt so well despite making a decent effort.

I think he took that experience with him to Denmark, and realised that though smaller leagues might not be so high quality technically, they're still very tough for a striker to thrive in, perhaps even tougher than in the Bundesliga where the game is more about movement and technique. It was at Brondby where he seemed to finally reach his potential and he became a major part of them making a huge title challenge out of nowhere last season, though it fell apart near the end. 

And that's what made him such a smart signing for Norwich; he's had to learn the hard way how to make an impact using his movement and his work rate against experienced, physical defenders like you get in Scotland and Denmark, and it's similar in the Championship. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived