• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

League A - 15-20th November, 2018

Recommended Posts

Group 1:
16th November - Netherlands vs France, 19.45
19th November - Germany vs Netherlands, 19.45

Group 2:
15th November - Belgium vs Iceland, 19.45
18th November - Switzerland vs Belgium, 19.45

Group 3:
17th November - Italy vs Portugal, 19.45
20th November - Portugal vs Poland, 19.45

Group 4:
15th November - Croatia vs Spain, 19.45
18th November - England vs Croatia, 15.00

 

Permutations for Each Group:
Group 1

  • France only need to draw to secure qualification for the finals.
  • Netherlands must beat France and Germany to qualify. If Netherlands draw with France and beat Germany, they'll finish 2nd as France have a superior head-to-head. 
  • Germany cannot qualify at all for the finals. They will be relegated if Netherlands draw with France and then not beat Netherlands by more than 3 goals due to inferior head-to-head record.

Group 2

  • Belgium will finish top of the group if they beat Iceland and avoid defeat to Switzerland.
  • Switzerland need to hope Iceland avoid defeat in Belgium, then beat the Belgians to finish top.
  • Iceland are already relegated due to losing all games so far.

Group 3

  • Portugal will finish top and qualify for the finals if they draw or win against Italy
  • Italy need to beat Portugal and hope they lose against Poland to finish top.
  • Poland are already relegated.

Group 4

  • Spain are guaranteed top spot if they at least draw against Croatia. If they finish level with England, they will be ahead due to scoring more goals in the group (unless England win by 6 against Croatia)
  • England can finish top if Spain lose to Croatia, and then they beat Croatia. 
  • Croatia can avoid relegation if they beat Spain and then get a score-draw against England. This would then relegate England thanks to the goalless draw between England & Croatia. 
  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

France: Manchester United's Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial withdraw

38 minutes ago | International

Manchester United pair Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial have withdrawn from the France squad for games against the Netherlands and Uruguay.

Midfielder Pogba (thigh) missed Sunday's 3-1 loss to Manchester City while Martial played the full game.

On Monday, both reported to France's Clairefontaine base but forward Martial was ruled out with a hip injury.

Arsenal forward Alexandre Lacazette and Tottenham midfielder Moussa Sissoko have been called up as replacements.

Martial, who won his last cap for France in March, was recalled by Didier Deschamps last week after being left out of the World Cup squad.

Les Bleus have a Nations League game against the Netherlands in Rotterdam on 16 November before playing Uruguay in a friendly at the Stade de France on 20 November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46181445

Edit: Another 2 have withdrawn - Benjamin Mendy and Alexandre Lacazette out of the squad.
Edited by CaaC - John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t get my head around the ways this works. I thought head-to-head was a deciding factor in this rather than goal difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Can’t get my head around the ways this works. I thought head-to-head was a deciding factor in this rather than goal difference?

It is head to head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stan said:

It is head to head.

So if Spain draw with Croatia and we beat Croatia, don’t we finish top based on our head to head with Spain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

So if Spain draw with Croatia and we beat Croatia, don’t we finish top based on our head to head with Spain?

England and Spain both beat each other, both scoring 4 goals in total in the process. (England 1-2 Spain; Spain 2-3 England)

So the head-to-head is very similar, but then Spain would be ahead because they've scored more goals in the group in total, which is why England would have to score at least 6 against Croatia to have any chance of finishing top, as unlikely as it is.

Unless I've missed something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We never managed to get points in Italy, so it will be interesting to see what we can do this Saturday.

I'm liking what I'm seeing, though. Without Ronaldo, the younger players have shown more of their football, instead of having the pressure of always needing to pass the ball to him.

1-1

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno. Don't what to get overly excited.

I know stats don't tell the entire story, but there's a reason why Italy has always been a bogey team for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 10:05, Stan said:

Group 1:
16th November - Netherlands vs France, 19.45
19th November - Germany vs Netherlands, 19.45

Group 2:
15th November - Belgium vs Iceland, 19.45
18th November - Switzerland vs Belgium, 19.45

Group 3:
17th November - Italy vs Portugal, 19.45
20th November - Portugal vs Poland, 19.45

Group 4:
15th November - Croatia vs Spain, 19.45
18th November - England vs Croatia, 15.00

 

Permutations for Each Group:
Group 1

  • France only need to draw to secure qualification for the finals.
  • Netherlands must beat France and Germany to qualify. If Netherlands draw with France and beat Germany, they'll finish 2nd as France have a superior head-to-head. 
  • Germany cannot qualify at all for the finals. They will be relegated if Netherlands draw with France and then not beat Netherlands by more than 3 goals due to inferior head-to-head record.

Group 2

  • Belgium will finish top of the group if they beat Iceland and avoid defeat to Switzerland.
  • Switzerland need to hope Iceland avoid defeat in Belgium, then beat the Belgians to finish top.
  • Iceland are already relegated due to losing all games so far.

Group 3

  • Portugal will finish top and qualify for the finals if they draw or win against Italy
  • Italy need to beat Portugal and hope they lose against Poland to finish top.
  • Poland are already relegated.

Group 4

  • Spain are guaranteed top spot if they at least draw against Croatia. If they finish level with England, they will be ahead due to scoring more goals in the group (unless England win by 6 against Croatia)
  • England can finish top if Spain lose to Croatia, and then they beat Croatia. 
  • Croatia can avoid relegation if they beat Spain and then get a score-draw against England. This would then relegate England thanks to the goalless draw between England & Croatia. 
  •  

England go through if they are level with Spain on results between the teams because we got more away goals. Uefa always do that. However Spain are on 6 and we are on 4 so its impossible for us to finish level so we have to win. If we draw 0/0 England go out but Croatia are relegated on goal difference. However if it is a score draw England are relegated and Spain go through, Croatia stay up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive game at Wembley on Sunday. I could potentially see England reach a Semi-Final or conversely, I could see England relegated for the first time ever. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just can't see Germany go into League B without a fight.
 
 
Posted at 20:3320:33
What does that mean?

Netherlands 1-0 France

As it stands then, Germany are facing relegation to League B after picking up only one point from three games.

They will be relegated without playing if the Netherlands win this. If France win, then Germany need to beat the Dutch on Tuesday to survive.

France only need a draw tonight to win the group and reach the finals. But if the Netherlands win both their games, they will top that group.

All to play for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/46146936

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:
I just can't see Germany go into League B without a fight.
 
 
Posted at 20:3320:33
What does that mean?

Netherlands 1-0 France

As it stands then, Germany are facing relegation to League B after picking up only one point from three games.

They will be relegated without playing if the Netherlands win this. If France win, then Germany need to beat the Dutch on Tuesday to survive.

France only need a draw tonight to win the group and reach the finals. But if the Netherlands win both their games, they will top that group.

All to play for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/46146936

 

 

De Jong is World Class, made a huge difference.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Panna King said:

De Jong is World Class, made a huge difference.

Only 21 too, he has the world ahead of him in football.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frenkie de Jong is a player we have been missing for years maybe since Dennis Bergkamp, France couldn't get the ball off of Frenkie and he rarely gave the ball away, he is already showing why teams want to pay 70 million, when he is dominating games against 2 of the best teams in Europe when its only his 4th cap! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always had a soft spot for the Netherlands and nearly always picked them to win a major tournament and to think they have been runners-up in the  World Cup 3 times and never won it, despite winning the UEFA Euro Championship in 1988 and that was some team with the current manager Koeman in the side with Rijkaard, Muhren, Ruud Gullit and Van Basten with him scoring that goal which they say as one of the greatest goals in the history of the European Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Fair play to Holland @Panna King, it looks like you've taken some big steps forwards as a result of this nations league.

Well the appointment of Koeman has been a massive success so far and the new players coming through have made us much better, our young players have stepped up against the big nations and they look better than everyone thought.  Plus we have some of the best defenders about which was never the case in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaaC - John said:

I have always had a soft spot for the Netherlands and nearly always picked them to win a major tournament and to think they have been runners-up in the  World Cup 3 times and never won it, despite winning the UEFA Euro Championship in 1988 and that was some team with the current manager Koeman in the side with Rijkaard, Muhren, Ruud Gullit and Van Basten with him scoring that goal which they say as one of the greatest goals in the history of the European Championship.

Maybe with this new generation of players coming through in The Netherlands, it seems there is a big turnaround with some other big nations unable to produce quality players like Germany if Gnabry is the best they can do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

France missed Pogba lastnight, who pulled out of the squad as he had a thigh injury but he was in Dubai eating a Steak with Messi at Salt Bae restaurant  O.o

 

6309298-6400579-Salt_Bae_impressed_the_p

6309180-0-image-m-26_1542452143155.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Panna King said:

Maybe with this new generation of players coming through in The Netherlands, it seems there is a big turnaround with some other big nations unable to produce quality players like Germany if Gnabry is the best they can do.  

I hope they do and bring back the Total Football era again. 

 "The 1970s saw the invention of Total Football (Dutch: Totaalvoetbal), pioneered by Ajax and led by playmaker Johan Cruyff and national team head coach Rinus Michels." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_national_football_team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Footballers for different teams are allowed to be friends though? And if injured, sometimes players are given a time for holiday to go anywhere...

Maybe it was a sponsorship thing (both Adidas?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Footballers for different teams are allowed to be friends though? And if injured, sometimes players are given a time for holiday to go anywhere...

Maybe it was a sponsorship thing (both Adidas?). 

Nothing about who he is with, its more about timing, not sure it has gone down well in France. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Rakitic is out :banana:

I'm actually really buzzing for the game tomorrow. I know it's the league cup of football but to get I another semi would be brilliant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm actually really buzzing for the game tomorrow. I know it's the league cup of football but to get I another semi would be brilliant

I have actually enjoyed the Nations League. It's much better than a pointless friendly,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement