talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Neal Ardley Leaves AFC Wimbledon

football forum

It's a sad day for the club this. A former player who understood what it would like to play for The Crazy Gang and then for the club during the move to MK has left AFC. He managed them for six years and in that time took them up a division and has moved them ahead of MK Dons. I was hopeing they'd stay by him for the whole season in the hope he could keep them up. He's been a credit for the club and I hope it works out elsewhere for him.

Im surprised Gareth Ainsworth isn't in the reckoning for the job. Ian Holloway is the early favourite.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stan said:

As if Holloway is still in contention for jobs xD 

Is he the new Alan Curbishley?

He did a good job at steering QPR away from relegation and he wishes to stay in London for family reasons. With the Charlton job taken this seems like his most realistic proposition if he wants to remain in management. I think the fans will warm to his passionate attitude too.

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Lost loads of key players and couldn’t adequately replace them given the budget at the club so he’s had his arms tied here somewhat but they’ve still been woeful and can’t score goals. 

I had them to drop this season for that reason. Lyle Taylor had to go to progress but to lose him a year after losing Tom Elliot was going to hit them hard. I had Gillingham to go down too, which I always felt would be Neil Ardley's next club.

59 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I had them to drop this season for that reason. Lyle Taylor had to go to progress but to lose him a year after losing Tom Elliot was going to hit them hard. I had Gillingham to go down too, which I always felt would be Neil Ardley's next club.

I’m sure I read somewhere that this Summer they lost their top four goal scorers from last season, which equated to something like 30 of their total goals and losing that amount of quality is going to hurt any side and is going to be hard to replace. It’s not been a surprise they’ve struggled but I suppose their is an element of shock they’ve replaced Ardley, due to his status their. 

On 13/11/2018 at 18:38, Smiley Culture said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that this Summer they lost their top four goal scorers from last season, which equated to something like 30 of their total goals and losing that amount of quality is going to hurt any side and is going to be hard to replace. It’s not been a surprise they’ve struggled but I suppose their is an element of shock they’ve replaced Ardley, due to his status their. 

I just had a look at the list of players they sold. Dean Parrett would be pretty damning to most league one teams but they lost a lot of other players who made the fabric of the team I didn't even realise had left (Francomb, Fuller, Robinson off field etc). I'm surprised Ardley didn't consider going. 

They've bought in Steven Reid as a coach. He was very highly respected at Palace last season to the point where people have questioned whether our crap start was down to losing his input.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived