talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Joe Cole Retires

football forum

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Undoubtedly a good spell at Chelsea but he never quite reached the heights he could of, did he? 

A flair player that had some unbelievable technical ability, the sort that we’re not used to from English players and we saw flashes of sheer brilliance from Cole, the goal at Köln vs Sweden for England, but I don’t think he reached the level he could have. 

Chelsea was undoubtedly his best spell but injuries curtailed him at times. 

He could have been one of the best players we’ve produced for a long time. 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Undoubtedly a good spell at Chelsea but he never quite reached the heights he could of, did he? 

A flair player that had some unbelievable technical ability, the sort that we’re not used to from English players and we saw flashes of sheer brilliance from Cole, the goal at Köln vs Sweden for England, but I don’t think he reached the level he could have. 

Chelsea was undoubtedly his best spell but injuries curtailed him at times. 

He could have been one of the best players we’ve produced for a long time. 

Pretty much my feelings as well.

Had a great season or two at Chelsea but could have amounted to so much more. For someone that good, you don't end up at clubs like Coventry or Tampa Bay Rowdies (!). Had he not been so injury-prone, perhaps his career could have taken a more fortunate turn.

Also gotta say I'm in the 'didn't know he was still playing and thought he retired a few years ago' club.

Regarding fulfilling his potential - from 2005 until about 2008 I would say he was playing at his full potential. He was an important figure in a title winning side and one of the first names on the England team sheet. Which I'm sure is what everybody hoped he would become. The difficult thing is we all presumed he would be playing at his full potential for a lot longer. Injuries did hamper him and he will always have unfinished business lingering over his name at West Ham where the fans would have expected more from him in their shirt.

14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Regarding fulfilling his potential - from 2005 until about 2008 I would say he was playing at his full potential. He was an important figure in a title winning side and one of the first names on the England team sheet. Which I'm sure is what everybody hoped he would become. The difficult thing is we all presumed he would be playing at his full potential for a lot longer. Injuries did hamper him and he will always have unfinished business lingering over his name at West Ham where the fans would have expected more from him in their shirt.

I think what stopped him from continuing to play at a top level after he left Chelsea was definitely his fitness. As @LFCMike said, he'd be absolutely spent by the 10th minute in matches.

One of my favourite English footballers of his generation and one I thought was discriminated against due to size and stature at the time which was before the full change in mentality her in the UK where footballers are concerned.

Such a class player.

On 13/11/2018 at 10:57, Teso dos Bichos said:

How predictable!! Another one of those players who would of been average if it wasn't for Mourinho, who did wonders with him. 

Not true at all. Mourinho drilled the flair out of him to make defensive.

Always liked him and wanted us to sign him from West Ham. He had a very good career but I don't feel we saw anywhere near his potential. he should have been a world beater. I remember him absolutely mugging Roy Keane off all game when he was 17 (think we drew 2-2) and not many players did that. I honestly believe that if he had played under Ferguson or Wenger rather than Mourinho we'd have seen a very different Joe Cole, one that actually played in his natural position for starters, and he'd be talked about the way Gazza is

Archived